logo
Old 12-31-2010, 01:46 PM
Find More Posts by MODE 1
Joined Jul 2008
4,715 Posts
Re: Another free plan

Oh hey Brett I didn't realize that was you !!!. Let me know if you have probs. If using a DA50 keep the tail light and you'll be just fine. 3 dubs are a little more heavier....there's room for a can if you change the formers and add a tunnel.
MODE 1 is offline Find More Posts by MODE 1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 12-31-2010, 02:53 PM
Find More Posts by BTerry
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Dec 2006
1,474 Posts

I will likely use a Taurus 52 with a wraparound Pitts muffler, so it would be right in between the DA and the 3W in weight.

Another thought would be to blow it up by 15% or so and go with a, 80cc single. Either way I am sure the plans will be a great start.

Also the Monocoupe plans looks fabulous! That plane has an understated, unexplainable appeal to it. It combines classic lines with a muscular stance and aggressive aura.
BTerry is offline Find More Posts by BTerry
Old 12-31-2010, 03:37 PM
Joined Jul 2008
4,715 Posts

All credit for the Monocoupe should really be handed to rcpilot82, Robbie conceived the idea some time back and we worked on the 55% version he's now building together. Before that I don't think I had ever considered one but as the 55 progressed I shifted my interest from a Cessna to the Coupe mostly to save time instead of starting from scratch again on a new design. The L19 eventually was started after much deliberation over which Cessna to build and maybe one day it will be built. Prolly post it out to the world when its drawn long before I ever get to making it.

I started the 40% Mono when I had some spare time on my hands which turned into what you see here. Many of the features where taken from an old Lysander design I drew up and built a long time back.
Old 12-31-2010, 03:48 PM
Find More Posts by alfycat
TARECOS AeroClub
Costa Rica
Joined Apr 2007
1,020 Posts

Thanks a lot Pete. I received your professional good looking plans!

That's a very nice Cap 232, with no dihedral and a mid wing configuration
I'm sure it's a good 3D ship!
I loved it when I first met him in RF G2.
Then I took it apart when I learned 3D because
of the low wing.
Hope in the future to build it,

thanks again,
Alfred.
alfycat is offline Find More Posts by alfycat
Old 01-03-2011, 09:12 AM
Find More Posts by mark winstanley
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2009
60 Posts

Thanks Pete - Just received the plans. They look just the ticket. I am now on the lookout for cowl/canopy/LG to suit - any recommendations?

I am thinking about the G62 in the nose which might mean adjusting the nose structure a little. I might remove the flywheel ind install an electronic ignition system to save some weight.

I am certain I will be able to build off these plans - thanks again

Mark Winstanley.
mark winstanley is offline Find More Posts by mark winstanley
Old 01-03-2011, 10:57 AM
Joined Jul 2008
4,715 Posts

Have a look in your area for either companies the make accessory parts like cowls and canopies to order or do what I do and buy the parts from a manufacturer that makes a similar size model as yours. Don't know if you have YT International over there but they will sell you canopies and parts from their models reasonably cheap. Black Horse, Hangar 9, Great Planes all sell parts for their models. I sometimes buy a 100cc part and trim it down to size if I feel it will work better than trying to squeeze in a smaller one.

Landing gear the same once you know the dimensions, Making one from aluminum flat bar 1-1/2" wide by 36" long x 3/16 thick and trimming to size is fast and easy to do.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:09 PM
Find More Posts by NoMatta
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jul 2009
98 Posts

Hey Pete

Got your plans. Gonna get 'em printed up later this week. My plan will be either DLE 55 or electric, time will tell.

Plans look really good. Appreciate your work and willingness to share.

Won't start for a while, but will post some photos when I get started.

Thanks Again
Bob
NoMatta is offline Find More Posts by NoMatta
Old 01-03-2011, 06:08 PM
Find More Posts by meridianflyer
Meridian,Id
Joined Mar 2006
215 Posts

Pete,

Thanks so much for the plans, they look fabulous. Will be my first "scratch build". Quick question as this is my first rodeo, would someone with a laser cutter be able to work off these?
meridianflyer is offline Find More Posts by meridianflyer
Old 01-03-2011, 06:34 PM
Joined Jul 2008
4,715 Posts

Yes if they have the software. Some places only request you send pdf files in and they do all the cut sheets on their pc based on their laser table and material stock size. They would contact you first if there was a problem in fitting a piece onto a single sheet for example and you would decide what to do along with their suggestions if they have any.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:11 PM
Find More Posts by meridianflyer
Meridian,Id
Joined Mar 2006
215 Posts

Sweet!

Thanks for the info Pete. Will be awhile before I get to this one, (gotta finish my omp 35% extra first tyhat I havent touched yet.) I will consider doing a build thread though cause I am gonna need all the input I can get. Once again thanks for being so generous. Its guys like you that make this hobby so great!
meridianflyer is offline Find More Posts by meridianflyer
Old 01-03-2011, 09:14 PM
Joined Jul 2008
4,715 Posts

This applies to anyone that's downloaded my plans
My email is pete_m001@yahoo.com

Have a problem with something not working, cant understand a section of the drawing, different file needed for cutting because X company in your area can only do it a certain way.

Drop me a line
Old 01-04-2011, 12:56 AM
Find More Posts by rcar4
Champaign
Joined Apr 2008
94 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by meridianflyer View Post

Once again thanks for being so generous. Its guys like you that make this hobby so great!
Hit the nail on the head, I could not say it any better!
Thanks Pete!!
rcar4 is offline Find More Posts by rcar4
Old 01-05-2011, 02:30 AM
Find More Posts by mark winstanley
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2009
60 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MODE 1 View Post
Have a look in your area for either companies the make accessory parts like cowls and canopies to order or do what I do and buy the parts from a manufacturer that makes a similar size model as yours. Don't know if you have YT International over there but they will sell you canopies and parts from their models reasonably cheap. Black Horse, Hangar 9, Great Planes all sell parts for their models. I sometimes buy a 100cc part and trim it down to size if I feel it will work better than trying to squeeze in a smaller one.

Landing gear the same once you know the dimensions, Making one from aluminum flat bar 1-1/2" wide by 36" long x 3/16 thick and trimming to size is fast and easy to do.
I see that Hangar 9 sells 27% and 33% cowls for their CAP 232. Which do you suppose would be the best fit?

Mark.
mark winstanley is offline Find More Posts by mark winstanley
Old 01-05-2011, 09:20 AM
Joined Jul 2008
4,715 Posts

Hi Mark.
Tough question for me to answer as I don't know the sizes. At a guess I would say the 33% might work but would probably need to be cut down and re joined with glass tape. H9 may be able to give you some sizes or you could ask them to scan the fuse opening perhaps.

Found this site, I know its not in your country but is a possible alternative.
http://www.mamut.net/controls/shop/s...nsModels&gid=3

Number 130103
Old 01-05-2011, 10:28 AM
Find More Posts by ta154
Canada
Joined Oct 2007
66 Posts

Got the file for the CAP from Pete. Very nicely done. And very much appreciated.

Since I also have the H9 1/3 CAP 232, I'll check the firewall size and length to see how it compares to Pete's drawing and post results.

If it's any help, I can tell you from what I've seen that a DA50 will need a cut out in the bottom of the 27% size cowl, whereas my Zenoah GT80 fits entirely within the 1/3 size cowl. The width from spark plug cap to spark plug cap is a bit over 10".

On Pete's drawings, the DA 50 engine does not need a cut out on the bottom.
ta154 is offline Find More Posts by ta154
Last edited by ta154; 01-05-2011 at 04:31 PM.

Quick Reply