logo
Old 03-17-2011, 05:27 PM
Find More Posts by T3beatz
Build'em, Fly'em, Crash'em
St. Louis, Mo US
Joined Jan 2008
1,298 Posts
Re: XQ-Power Servos, New!!

I'm just humoring him... I'm not a servo expert either... JR makes good servos.

but I can tell you this... in most airplanes 5 or 6 micro seconds is hard to feel in the air I don't care what kind of flying your doing. I just turned my A9 on and hooked up the XQ-4020D and at 1ms the servo moves very very little I can't really tell its moved until about 8 clicks, I know its moving I can hear the buzz but it moves very slow.

But when you speed it up you can see the small movements, it's not as smooth as an expensive precision servo but its still very good. It moves about as much as that JR servo in the video when the trim is clicked at 6ms per trim click.
T3beatz is offline Find More Posts by T3beatz
Last edited by T3beatz; 03-17-2011 at 05:36 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 03-17-2011, 05:31 PM
Find More Posts by Ara Tidwell
Aralien
Joined Nov 2006
412 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroPainter View Post
T3, dude, no sense in debating it with him. Too be honest, it's my opinion and only my opinion that he's got you on the hook and the best thing to do with it is to spit it out. Look at all the other threads this guy has posted in. Just trolling I tell ya. You won't be able to convince him by debating it in a thread and you'll just perpetuate it. Doesn't matter if you're correct or not.

Just saying.................
You know when comparing 2 servos, and servo A takes only 1 trim step to actuate, and servo B takes 6-trim steps to actuate... and someone is arguing that they are that they have the same actual resolution... dude... servo B was so bat the airplane wouldn't trim up properly in flight.
Ara Tidwell is offline Find More Posts by Ara Tidwell
Old 03-17-2011, 05:38 PM
RTK
Find More Posts by RTK
RTK
Left Coast
Joined Jan 2006
4,435 Posts

I bet there is more slop in the linkages, hinges, and servo gears on most planes than the difference between the two servos in that video.
RTK is offline Find More Posts by RTK
Old 03-17-2011, 05:41 PM
Find More Posts by AeroPainter
United States, ME, Levant
Joined Aug 2009
113 Posts

From Hitec: Deadband reflects the time it takes for a servo to respond when stick movement is given. Standard servos have a deadband of around 8us and high performance servos have a deadband of 1~3us.

From Hooked-On-RC-Airplanes.com: The amount of transmitter stick movement from center position that is required to make a servo start moving is called the servo's deadband ...

That's the first two I came up with. There are others.
AeroPainter is offline Find More Posts by AeroPainter
Old 03-17-2011, 06:32 PM
St. Louis, Mo US
Joined Jan 2008
1,298 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTK View Post
I bet there is more slop in the linkages, hinges, and servo gears on most planes than the difference between the two servos in that video.
+1, most radios when you trim the servos don't operate at 1ms per click... that function is only available on most higher end radios, and even then I still don't set mine that low. the default trims my planes just fine.

The video does clearly show that the JR servo has less dead band than the other budget servo, but thats it.

We don't know what the other budget servos specks are, gear ratio, what type of motor is in it, etc... these can all affect the performance of the servo.

AeroPainter

those are good definitions... that is the difference between resolution and dead band...

with that said your servo can have low a dead-band and horrible resolution, it can move with every click of the trim but each step can be huge.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:55 PM
Find More Posts by Ara Tidwell
Aralien
Joined Nov 2006
412 Posts

All I know is that when I flew with a servo that requires 6-trim steps to actuate it, it was extremly noticable in the air.
Ara Tidwell is offline Find More Posts by Ara Tidwell
Old 03-18-2011, 02:57 AM
Find More Posts by GEORGE0310
Joined Mar 2010
69 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3beatz View Post
+1, most radios when you trim the servos don't operate at 1ms per click... that function is only available on most higher end radios, and even then I still don't set mine that low. the default trims my planes just fine.

The video does clearly show that the JR servo has less dead band than the other budget servo, but thats it.

We don't know what the other budget servos specks are, gear ratio, what type of motor is in it, etc... these can all affect the performance of the servo.

AeroPainter

those are good definitions... that is the difference between resolution and dead band...

with that said your servo can have low a dead-band and horrible resolution, it can move with every click of the trim but each step can be huge.
JUST TO SAY SOMETHING :.....i believe is also the resolution capability of the tx and rx the futaba g3 that has 3004 something bit analysis it must be counted also ...like frsky that has also 3000 bit (like futaba )
also ..if some one has any servo to sugest with 28 us dollars that is digital corelles titanium gear with 16-20 kg/cm of torque and high voltage please say it because ...from what i have search there is none!!!!! the cheapest with these specification is some turnigy 60 us dollars(that is not builded by this company ) and hd servos that cost 70 us dollars ..then hitec at 90 us then multiplex that goes sky high ...and savox...if they build ...
when i will be in the same level like the somerzini .. then ... i will have better servos that other will pay for me.. ....
GEORGE0310 is offline Find More Posts by GEORGE0310
Old 03-18-2011, 08:08 AM
Find More Posts by pryor808
Fast & Low
Originally from Puerto Rico but, live in NY. Go! Gabriel Altuz
Joined Nov 2009
3,459 Posts

George,

Thank you! for lowering your voice.
pryor808 is offline Find More Posts by pryor808
Old 03-18-2011, 09:50 AM
St. Louis, Mo US
Joined Jan 2008
1,298 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEORGE0310 View Post
JUST TO SAY SOMETHING :.....i believe is also the resolution capability of the tx and rx the futaba g3 that has 3004 something bit analysis it must be counted also ...like frsky that has also 3000 bit (like futaba )
also ..if some one has any servo to sugest with 28 us dollars that is digital corelles titanium gear with 16-20 kg/cm of torque and high voltage please say it because ...from what i have search there is none!!!!! the cheapest with these specification is some turnigy 60 us dollars(that is not builded by this company ) and hd servos that cost 70 us dollars ..then hitec at 90 us then multiplex that goes sky high ...and savox...if they build ...
when i will be in the same level like the somerzini .. then ... i will have better servos that other will pay for me.. ....
Check this thread...https://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/...ad.php?t=62757 there are a few now...
Old 03-22-2011, 01:08 PM
Find More Posts by 1bigben
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Nov 2008
769 Posts
T3 - Did you get the 4020's in the air yet? and if yes what were your observations? Did you say Futaba arms for these? Are the arm types specified in your chart.
Too windy and nasty here this week and accumulation of snow is expected so I'm not flying, yet.
1bigben is online now Find More Posts by 1bigben
Old 03-22-2011, 01:35 PM
Find More Posts by YAKMAN76
So you fly toy planes??
United States, MS, Carson
Joined Dec 2010
1,183 Posts
I have flown mine T-3. They seem very smooth with zero blow back on a 30% rudder. I found they needed extra grease and the gear slop was just slightly more than a HD 9150. But it really is not bad at all. I have gave them a complete work out. I plan on taking them out and seeing if they gained any slop. I will be disassembling one of the test ones to see how it faired. All in all I think it a good choice for entry level and a good option for advanced 3d. Not sure yet for IMAC as I really dont know how well they will center and I dont fly IMAC.

PS you cant argue with some folks, they just here to stir the pot. You can color poo any color you wish but in the end it is still poo.
YAKMAN76 is offline Find More Posts by YAKMAN76
Old 03-22-2011, 01:51 PM
St. Louis, Mo US
Joined Jan 2008
1,298 Posts
I haven't been able to fly just yet, the weather here in St. Louis has not been agreeing with the RC guys... winds for the past few days have been 15-20+ mph with 30mph gust. This week the temp is supposed to drop back into the 30s and 40's but if the wind is good I'll be out at the field.

And yes the gear play is about the same or slightly more than the 9150's. That is one of the major problems with some of the more inexpensive servos... they have to get the gear play down to a minimum... while on a plane you can get away with it with no problems at all, on a heli you want the least amount possible.

oh, and the arm is futaba type.

I am addressing the factory on any issues with the servo.
Last edited by T3beatz; 03-22-2011 at 02:06 PM.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:16 PM
St. Louis, Mo US
Joined Jan 2008
1,298 Posts
OK, I just sat the XQ-4020D and the Power HD-9150 servos side by side and did a few comparisons... both are new servos with no flight time (so gears should be prime).

The 9150 did have a tad better outcome with gear play, they both by far are not horrible as some make them out to be. I've been flying my 9150s in my 50cc yak for over a year now and it tracks very strait and stays trimmed very well.
with that said the XQ-4020 had about 1/3 to 1/2 mm more play than the 9150 (and the 9150 has about 3/4mm of play).

both servos will toss the stuffing out of a 50cc size plane with no problems.

But thats where the 9150 stops being better than the 4020....

The 4020 has more torque
titanium gears
Smoother gears
Quieter
Faster speed
better resolution
coreless motor
standard size case (about 1/4" shorter)
Aluminum heat sink
heavier gauge servo wire
And cost less...

ongevity is the only test we have yet to compare...
I'm thinking right now the 9150's are about 96% good (for every 100 sold 4 of them go bad in some way) compared to Hitec which probably would be 99%. don't quote me on those numbers. Most of what I've heard are the servos going off center by more than 20-30 degrees while in flight! and few burned out motors. With any servo there will be failures, but the plan is to keep them to a minimum by having great Quality Assurance.
Last edited by T3beatz; 03-22-2011 at 03:27 PM.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:39 PM
Find More Posts by litespeed
Have pain? I'm married!!!
Weldon Spring, Missouri
Joined Dec 2010
46 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T3beatz View Post
I haven't been able to fly just yet, the weather here in St. Louis has not been agreeing with the RC guys... winds for the past few days have been 15-20+ mph with 30mph gust. This week the temp is supposed to drop back into the 30s and 40's but if the wind is good I'll be out at the field.

You should come out to Spirits and fly with me. I got a good 7 flights in on the new 71" Slick over the weekend. Could have been more but I'm a heli guy by nature so that was another 10 or so flights on the 700e and Logo 500. Our field is windy but I'll fly in just about anything.

Shoot me a PM if you wanna come out some time. It would be nice to have a 3D plane guy out.

Tom
litespeed is offline Find More Posts by litespeed
Old 03-22-2011, 05:09 PM
Find More Posts by YAKMAN76
So you fly toy planes??
United States, MS, Carson
Joined Dec 2010
1,183 Posts
I put the 4020's in a 100cc beater. It is a heavy plane that really stresses servos. I want to see how well they hold up on it before puting them in a new plane.
YAKMAN76 is offline Find More Posts by YAKMAN76

Quick Reply