logo
Old 07-21-2009, 10:17 AM
Find More Posts by Sukhoikid
Team Futaba
Joined Jan 2006
11,594 Posts
OMP Yak 55

I thought I would post photos of the build of the new Giant Scale OMP Yak 55. This is also a thread to ask any questions about this airplane. Please enjoy. I hope to make more videos of this plane soon!
Sukhoikid is offline Find More Posts by Sukhoikid
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 07-21-2009, 10:38 AM
Find More Posts by SleepyC
USA, OH, Aurora
Joined Jan 2006
30,070 Posts
Re: OMP Yak 55

This plane is very nice looking.
This plane needs to make it out to the funflys. Get peoples hands on the sticks.
Could be a winner!
SleepyC is offline Find More Posts by SleepyC
Old 07-21-2009, 11:17 AM
Team Futaba
Joined Jan 2006
11,594 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyC View Post
This plane is very nice looking.
This plane needs to make it out to the funflys. Get peoples hands on the sticks.
Could be a winner!

Im trying Sleepy! I was hoping to use it this past XFC but couldnt make it this year due to the grandparents 50th. I did have it at the Joe Nall. Plan on flying it and use it at my next IMAC meet coming up. Saving up for a DA85 for it. The 3W that is in it now is just way too heavy. It is a OLD 3W. RUNS AWESOME but the weight is a bit too much.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:37 AM
Find More Posts by cjcyclesrc
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Sep 2006
3,990 Posts

The construction of that plane looks great.
cjcyclesrc is offline Find More Posts by cjcyclesrc
Old 07-21-2009, 11:42 AM
Team Futaba
Joined Jan 2006
11,594 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcyclesrc View Post
The construction of that plane looks great.
Some things you dont see is there are carbon rods running down the Fuse and wings! This adds a ton of strength to the airframe.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:56 AM
Find More Posts by cjcyclesrc
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Sep 2006
3,990 Posts

That plane looks like it would make a great mount for a light twin like a BME 110/116. I'm partial to DA's though.
cjcyclesrc is offline Find More Posts by cjcyclesrc
Last edited by cjcyclesrc; 07-21-2009 at 12:01 PM.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:08 PM
Find More Posts by Salmon
Dayton OH
Joined Jun 2006
668 Posts

I've got the DA100 on mine with Hitec 7955 servos throughout. A123 batteries powering the beast.
Salmon is offline Find More Posts by Salmon
Old 07-22-2009, 12:05 PM
Team Futaba
Joined Jan 2006
11,594 Posts

More Photos coming soon
Old 08-02-2009, 08:38 PM
Team Futaba
Joined Jan 2006
11,594 Posts

I need to get on the ball and upload the rest! Ive been busy this past week getting things ready to head back to school.
Old 08-21-2009, 03:11 PM
Find More Posts by YogoBlue
Joined Dec 2008
24 Posts

I wanted to chime in as well on our thoughts. I am assembling one for another member due to time constraints and he received no complaints from ME.

First Note: Great finish on the covering!!! Everything came out very nice from shipping no damage, dings etc. Great care was taken to make sure it was all tight.

Construction: Very Very nice for a model in this price range. A lot of thoughtful processes went into this, first and foremost are the control horns and premium hardware Carbon Fiber gear, wing tube and tailwheel is a nice touch. Wheels look good for fit and finish as well. Impressed as the hardware is not an ADD ON as most ARF's in this range. Construction looks good in general but I always go over everything afterward anyway with CA or epoxy where needed.
The cowl ring setup is second to none, why arent all large scale ARFS setup like this?

I am halfway through the assembly process with basically the engine left to be mounted. This lucky one will get a DL100. I will post more notes as I proceed but all and all until now, I am thoroughly impressed with OMP's design. Sukhoi already mentioned the CF stringers and such so I wont go there.

To prove I am not that easy to please I will point out at least one negative so far, the template for the DA100 was missing and I just found the 2 85cc templates. I emailed John to let him know. I certainly can get along without it and its no show stopper. The only other thing that would be helpfull is a few strips of Yellow covering to seal hinge gaps.. I realize there can never be an end to EVERYTHING we all want but I hate to play color match when sealing up new planes. Again.. not a necessity but it would be nice.

All in all a VERY high quality ship for the price. I dont want to stir up trouble but I wish H9 can take a lesson on a few things primarily cowl design, and EASE of setup. Everything fits very nicely with minimal tinkering to get parts to line up, etc. This will not be the last Ohio rig we will see around here I am sure.

I am hot to get this done and get an AUW and see where we stand with a 100. I own and fly a H9 Sukhoi with DA-85 myself and I am getting jealous at every step. The prior owner spent alot of time shaving weight and of course it has the general covering issues. For similar money, I should have went OMP.

John - keep up the good work up there!!!!

I will post more as I go
YogoBlue is offline Find More Posts by YogoBlue
Old 08-24-2009, 05:34 PM
Find More Posts by Karl540
United States, AL, Prattville
Joined Feb 2007
177 Posts

I have been thinking about this plane but have not found a lot of info about them. Show me more please.
Karl540 is offline Find More Posts by Karl540
Old 08-25-2009, 06:33 AM
Dayton OH
Joined Jun 2006
668 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl540 View Post
I have been thinking about this plane but have not found a lot of info about them. Show me more please.
Karl, what else would you like to know? Here is the weblink to the Yak 55:

http://www.ohiomodelplanes.com/85-100ccyak/index.htm

The aircraft arfs include all the premium hardware and this stuff is not junk. Ball links all the way around, turn buckles for all the pushrods, carbon fiber wing and stab tubes, carbon fiber landing gear that is TOUGH! Pre-hinged ailerons and elevators, ultracoat covering, spinner and fuel tank! Just glue in the rudder hinges, bolt on the landing gear, install your engine and radio and go fly! Very quick build actually. Come on up to teh DOGS show Labor day weekend, do some flying, visit the Air Force museum, and you can test fly one of our OMP Yaks!
Old 08-25-2009, 08:01 AM
Find More Posts by Karl540
United States, AL, Prattville
Joined Feb 2007
177 Posts

What my point was is that I have not seen anybody flying one yet at any of the IMAC events in the southcentral region. I am looking for a new plane after a gear failure in my sukohi and dont want to be another YAK 54 flyer. Dont get me wrong they are great planes but everybody has one and I dont like to be one of the herd. The only other 55 that I have seen is a krill and it flys great with little tuning to get it ready for comp but at that price it is a little high.
Karl540 is offline Find More Posts by Karl540
Old 08-25-2009, 08:04 AM
Dayton OH
Joined Jun 2006
668 Posts

I agree and that was my inspiration for doing a Yak SP55M. Too many Yak 54s and personally I like the looks of the SP55M better.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:55 AM
Find More Posts by YogoBlue
Joined Dec 2008
24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl540 View Post
What my point was is that I have not seen anybody flying one yet at any of the IMAC events in the southcentral region. I am looking for a new plane after a gear failure in my sukohi and dont want to be another YAK 54 flyer. Dont get me wrong they are great planes but everybody has one and I dont like to be one of the herd. The only other 55 that I have seen is a krill and it flys great with little tuning to get it ready for comp but at that price it is a little high.
Karl,
If you like the way the plane looks you will not be disappointed in the quality I assure you. As per my last post I am just about done with assembly and just have to seal hinges and then electronics go in. This is the same reason I like this plane. Ill get some pics later today. Oh, and where will you be Saturday? You can come down and witness for yourself the maiden if you wish,,, We are near Corpus - The Real South Central !!!!

Thanks Sol for creating a mighty fine "variation" on the norm. After seeing Igo Sergev at the XFC flying a 55 I knew I liked them.
YogoBlue is offline Find More Posts by YogoBlue
Last edited by YogoBlue; 08-25-2009 at 08:58 AM. Reason: because Im awesome

Quick Reply