logo
Old 04-24-2015, 12:49 PM
Find More Posts by Renoone
United States, IA, Fort Dodge
Joined Nov 2014
237 Posts
Discussion
Number of flights question

I notice all the time that people mention the number of flights on a certain plane / heli. I just saw one that mentioned 565 flights. I have been flying for a good number of years and I couldn't tell you the number of flights on anything I have. How do people track that? Why? I never have and I really don't care to but find it intriguing when I see the numbers.

Reno
Renoone is offline Find More Posts by Renoone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 04-24-2015, 01:03 PM
Find More Posts by Badams
Work 2 days, Fly 5 days.
United States, AZ
Joined Oct 2006
1,385 Posts
My friend actually logs each flight, so when he tells me he has X number of flights on something....i can believe him. Short of logging, I'm thinking most people guess, and its likely not that accurate.
Badams is offline Find More Posts by Badams
Old 04-24-2015, 01:33 PM
Find More Posts by acerc
United States, FL, Center Hill
Joined Jul 2014
2,167 Posts
Some may keep track so as to log the response from changes such as different props, different batteries, lifespan of electronic items. For example if one were to be logging their batteries performance each flight one would get an idea when it needs replacement by the energy being replaced. Thus eliminating that fateful day the battery up and dies in flight and cost one an airframe.
Most people don't because they don't keep an airframe long enough or have enough cost in the airframe. But when it gets into multiple thousands of dollars it is a good practice to log as much as possible. I even log in flight info, head temps, battery performance, airspeed, engine rpm, and throttle servo performance. Loging will give a heads up when something is starting to go awry.
acerc is offline Find More Posts by acerc
Old 04-24-2015, 02:00 PM
Find More Posts by wfield0455
United States, MA, Holliston
Joined Oct 2007
3,013 Posts
I have a flight log app on my cell phone and log every flight of every airplane. I do it so I actually know how much time I have on my engines. how long they took to break in, etc. It also has place for notes for each flight but I typically only use that to log maintenance events, etc. Once I actually started to pay attention, I was quite surprised at how predictable certain maintenance problems can be.

Wayne
wfield0455 is offline Find More Posts by wfield0455
Old 04-24-2015, 03:15 PM
Find More Posts by jamesrxx951
IMAC NC ARD
Joined Jan 2009
11,130 Posts
As long as I remember to turn on my timer for each flight my transmitter keeps track of number of flight.
jamesrxx951 is offline Find More Posts by jamesrxx951
Old 04-24-2015, 03:25 PM
Find More Posts by Phil Griffin
Sponsored by my wife & girls
United States, AL, Mountain Brook
Joined Jun 2008
10,276 Posts
Same. My 11X does it for me.
Phil Griffin is offline Find More Posts by Phil Griffin
Old 04-24-2015, 06:09 PM
Find More Posts by ccpdx
United States, OR, Hillsboro
Joined Aug 2013
217 Posts
I think most estimates are baloney. I only trust a well kept log.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renoone View Post
I notice all the time that people mention the number of flights on a certain plane / heli. I just saw one that mentioned 565 flights. I have been flying for a good number of years and I couldn't tell you the number of flights on anything I have. How do people track that? Why? I never have and I really don't care to but find it intriguing when I see the numbers.

Reno
Hah! That was me! I've wondered and asked the same question. In my case I do two things:

1) I have a little log book. I keep it dead simple. I put a line across the [small] page, write the date, write the name of the aircraft and start making hash marks. Not good for knowing the running total, but I know I could count them if I ever wanted to know. Mainly it tells me "oh wow I haven't gotten to fly in a month!"

2) For that little 3DHS 41" Edge specifically it's purpose in life is to see how many flights I can get out of it without dorking it in. On the bottom of the painted part inside of the canopy I put address labels and hash marks. That's it.

When somebody estimates their flight count, I generally assume they're full of baloney. It's so easy to be wildly off on that kind of thing. 40 flights might feel like 100. 300 might feel like 600. Fuel burned might've gone into other aircraft.

Charles
ccpdx is offline Find More Posts by ccpdx
Old 04-24-2015, 06:13 PM
Find More Posts by ccpdx
United States, OR, Hillsboro
Joined Aug 2013
217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acerc View Post
Some may keep track so as to log the response from changes such as different props, different batteries, lifespan of electronic items. For example if one were to be logging their batteries performance each flight one would get an idea when it needs replacement by the energy being replaced. Thus eliminating that fateful day the battery up and dies in flight and cost one an airframe.
Most people don't because they don't keep an airframe long enough or have enough cost in the airframe. But when it gets into multiple thousands of dollars it is a good practice to log as much as possible. I even log in flight info, head temps, battery performance, airspeed, engine rpm, and throttle servo performance. Loging will give a heads up when something is starting to go awry.
How do you do your logging? Paper? Transmitter?
ccpdx is offline Find More Posts by ccpdx
Old 04-24-2015, 07:12 PM
Find More Posts by akouzmit
14cc/21cc/33cc/36cc/40cc/60cc
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Apr 2013
623 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfield0455 View Post
I have a flight log app on my cell phone and log every flight of every airplane. I do it so I actually know how much time I have on my engines. how long they took to break in, etc. It also has place for notes for each flight but I typically only use that to log maintenance events, etc. Once I actually started to pay attention, I was quite surprised at how predictable certain maintenance problems can be.

Wayne
Hi Wayne,
Is it your own app? ... Or you downloaded it from some place?
I'd like to have one on my iPhone.
Thank you,
Andrei.
akouzmit is offline Find More Posts by akouzmit
Old 04-24-2015, 10:12 PM
Find More Posts by al1242
Fly it like you stole it.
United States, IN, Crown Point
Joined May 2012
178 Posts
I use rcflylog.com, I have recorded every flight since I started flying.
al1242 is offline Find More Posts by al1242
Old 04-25-2015, 10:54 AM
Find More Posts by Robotech
United States, AR, Pine Bluff
Joined Aug 2006
3,872 Posts
I keep a small appointment book in the trailer. At the end of the flying day I record which plane I flew, how many flights and any notable occurrences.
Robotech is offline Find More Posts by Robotech
Old 04-25-2015, 11:08 AM
Find More Posts by jkent27
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jul 2014
161 Posts
There's an iphone app that's pretty cool that will track gas, battery, flight times and all kinds of cool stuff. You can search the app store under t3chdad rc flight log. It costs 2.99 (bout the price of a Starbucks).

It's fun to play around with, and it'll even let you use a picture of your plane to track it.
jkent27 is offline Find More Posts by jkent27
Old 04-25-2015, 01:13 PM
Find More Posts by Dirt Doctor
United States, MS, Vicksburg
Joined Jan 2015
536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
I keep a small appointment book in the trailer. At the end of the flying day I record which plane I flew, how many flights and any notable occurrences.
I do the same thing!!
Dirt Doctor is offline Find More Posts by Dirt Doctor
Old 04-25-2015, 01:35 PM
Find More Posts by JoeAirPort
RC Enthusiast
United States, WI, West Bend
Joined Jan 2006
8,340 Posts
I just keep a count on my phone. I update it with the total flights each day I fly. I like to know how many flights are on a planes. The 110" Yak in my Avatar had almost 200 flights on it when I sold it. My new 104" Extra has 4.
JoeAirPort is offline Find More Posts by JoeAirPort
Old 04-25-2015, 07:23 PM
Find More Posts by wfield0455
United States, MA, Holliston
Joined Oct 2007
3,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by akouzmit View Post
Hi Wayne,
Is it your own app? ... Or you downloaded it from some place?
I'd like to have one on my iPhone.
Thank you,
Andrei.
Hi Andrei,
This is the one I've been using; http://clevertangerine.com/RCLogbook/

I downloaded it from the AppStore. It's quite well done and to me it's been well worth the few dollars they charge for it.

Wayne
wfield0455 is offline Find More Posts by wfield0455

Quick Reply