logo
Old 10-19-2006, 02:08 AM
Find More Posts by LeadingEdge
Joined Mar 2006
139 Posts
DX-7. This Changes Everything.. Again!

Article written by: Maxon Duncan

Hot off the wire!!

Today at The iHobby Expo in Chicago, Spektrum and Horizon Hobby have again made history with the introduction of The DX-7 Spread Spectrum Transmitter! So what’s the big whoop all about? It’s just one more channel than the DX-6, right? Check it out.. This system takes Spektrum technology out of the realm of park flyers and small electrics, and for the first time ever into larger glow, gas, and even turbine powered models!

This transmitter is the second Spektrum release this year, and one can only assume it won’t be long until we see uber-high end radios with this technology soon. That’s right folks, in just a few more years the pin board will be a thing of the past, along with all of the other issues that frequency controlled has plagued on our growing sport for many years. Field reports of the new system are simply outstanding, our friend and inventor Paul Beard is certainly deserved of an never ending high-five-a-thon!

This is just the beginning folks, and thanks to the continuing technological advancements by great companies like this, our hobby is getting better by the day, and changing before our eyes.

For more information, check out www.spektrumrc.com

Aproximate ship date is November, 2006.

Street price: $349.99 - $499.00 - DX7 7Ch DSM2 System w/AR7000 Rx & 4-DS821 Servos

Specs below..
LeadingEdge is offline Find More Posts by LeadingEdge
Last edited by madmax; 10-19-2006 at 10:27 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 10-19-2006, 02:09 AM
Find More Posts by LeadingEdge
Joined Mar 2006
139 Posts
Re: DX-7. This Changes Everything.. Again!

Photographs courtesy of Spektrum. More info to follow.

The First Full-Range 2.4GHz System for All Types of Aircraft
Spektrum® DX7 7-Channel 2.4GHz DSM2™ Aircraft System

With the DX7 you’ll be able to fly anything from tiny electric helis to big gas powered IMAC planes without regard to frequencies and free from fear of interference. Calling this kind of thing “revolutionary” just doesn’t cut it. It is nothing less than a quantum leap in RC technology that will change how you fly forever. Never again will the availability of a frequency pin dictate when you can take off. Never again will you have to ask, “What channel are you on?” Never again will your flying experience be marred by model-generated RF noise, spill-over from commercial broadcast towers, or anyone on another RC system.

About the only problem you and the rest of your club will have when you all start flying with Spektrum is what to do with the frequency board.

DSM2—Security and Speed
Unlike most first-of-its-kind innovations, DSM2 is not an unproven concept. It is based on the exact same Spektrum 2.4GHz DSM® (Digital Spectrum Modulation) that RC car racers as well as micro electric and park flyer modelers have been enjoying for at least two years now. Like DSM, DSM2 provides an impenetrable radio link that's immune to every known type of RC interference. And because it operates at 1024-bit resolution, it provides the kind of precision normally found in much pricier radios.
The big difference with DSM2, is that in addition to absolute precision and complete freedom from interference, it processes its signal faster than any high-end 72MHz PCM system. In fact, many of the pilots who have tested the DX7 describe DSM2’s response time as almost telekinetic. You’ll feel more connected with your model than every before.

AR7000—Spectacular Signal Clarity
The AR7000 dual receiver that comes with the DX7 is key to the system’s incredibly robust RF link. Comprised of a compact main receiver that is linked to an even smaller satellite receiver by a 6-inch lead, the AR7000 acts as a pair of extremely sharp RF “eyes” that each take in a slightly different view of the signal environment. Information from both receivers is then processed by patent-pending Spektrum software that takes information from each receiver and combines it to form the most vivid “picture” of an
RF signal than has ever been possible before.
What’s more, there are no long antennas to accommodate. The AR7000’s short
3-inch antennas don’t require any external exposure, so installation is an absolute breeze.

ModelMatch™ and ServoSync™--Extra Safety and Precision
DSM2 and the AR7000 aren’t the DX7’s only marvels. Spektrum engineers have come up with two more patent-pending innovations that you’ll wonder how you ever lived without—ModelMatch and ServoSync.
ModelMatch puts an end to the “wrong model” syndrome.Almost everyone that flies RC has at one time or another crashed because they neglected to verify the model name on the transmitter display in their preflight check. A unique code is embedded in the DX7’s signal so that if the wrong model’s name is on the screen, the model’s controls simply won’t respond.
ServoSync is an ingenious new feature that actually re-sequences the bits of data the DX7 transmits based on the type of mixing you select. So, if you have a dual elevator on your big Extra or a 3-servo CCPM setup on your heli, ServoSync will see to it that those servos working together receive their impulses together. The result is more synchronized servo movement which translates into an undeniable, locked-in feel when you fly.

AR6000 Compatible
DX6 owners and anyone else who flies small electric models will be pleased to know that the AR6000 receiver works perfectly with DX7, too. In fact, the AR6000 will actually benefit from the DX7’s signal speed advantages, as well as ModelMatch and ServoSync. So whatever the aircraft in your collection, be it a .60-size heli or a 15-ounce foamie, you can fly it with the DX7.

What Are Pilots Saying?
For the last year Spektrum has had the DX7 in the hands of several key modelers to get their impressions of how the technology works. Here’s what a few of them had to say.

“I’ve been flying my electrics with the DX6 for nearly a year now without a single glitch. When I heard that the new DX7 would allow all types and sizes of models to be flown with DSM technology I was really excited. I was even more excited to learn I could use the DX7 with my current fleet of DSM-equipped electric aircraft and not have to change receivers. My AR6000 park flyer receivers are 100% compatible. Plus, the additional DX7 capabilities like faster response time, ModelMatch, ServoSync and advanced programming features all work flawlessly with the AR6000 making what was already a great park flyer receiver even better.”
Steve Rojecki
Commercial Pilot

“To test the DX7’s response I first flew my 33% Edge 540 with the conventional 72MHz PCM system focusing on response critical maneuvers and when I felt “tuned in” I then switch to the DX7. Instantly the new Spektrum radio felt every bit as connected. When doing rolling harrier circles the Edge actually started to climb, meaning that the Spektrum system was slightly ahead of my timing. Spektrum engineers told me that the DSM2 was faster than PCM and after several aggressive 3D flights I believe them!”
Mike McConville
IMAC Champion Pilot

“I’ve been testing the DX7 in several large gas-powered airplanes and in a turbine-powered 100” Qui Que Yak turbo prop. Throughout testing the RF link has been 100% solid and because the system is digital, the airplanes have a precise locked in feel. Ground range checks reveal the same range with the engine running vs. engine off. Even with the turbine indicating 100% the RF link is impervious to ignition and ECU noise. And the DX7’s programming features are exactly what I need for these aircraft. It was great being one of the pilots selected to test the system and now that it’s available, I’ll be flying the DX7 in all my aircraft that use 7 channels or less. Spektrum has a huge hit on their hands.”
Jeff Holsinger
Veteran Modeler

What Does the AMA Think of the DX7?
AMA Technical Director, Steve Kaluf, has tested the DX7 and is extremely enthusiastic about what it means for the future of model aviation.

“The AMA is very excited about this technology being available to the radio control modeler. I feel spread spectrum technology is making radio control safer and much more convenient for the modeler. We’ve been working hard to help the members understand the new technology and have been begging them to be patient as we awaited the arrival of full-range systems.
DSM2 is going to be a major boom, especially at larger events. To begin with, those flying spread spectrum systems will not have to worry about waiting in a long line to obtain a frequency pin. Secondly, the more pilots that switch to spread spectrum, the more 72MHz will become less crowded. At local flying sites, flight lines will still need to be controlled to assure a safe number of aircraft are in the air at one time, but I see it becoming the only real constraint in the not-too-distant future.”
Steve Kaluf
AMA Technical Director

More Than Enough Programming Features to Grow With You
In addition to its groundbreaking DSM2 technology, the DX7’s programmability is tops. Assignable switches, all-in-one dual rate/expo options, plenty of P-mixes, 20- model memory, software for airplanes and helicopters—you’ll be able to do it all on a highly-refined, detailed dot-matrix screen.

Here are just a few of the advanced programming features that make the DX7 such a capable radio for so many airplane and heli applications.

3-Position Flap Mixing
The DX7 incorporates a three-position flap system that allows the flap and elevator positions to be preset in all three switch positions. An auto function automatically retracts the flaps when the throttle is raised above a preset point such as during an aborted landing or touch-and-go.

Single Screen Dual Rate/Exponential
Punch in dual rate and exponential values in the same screen for aileron elevator and rudder and see the result clearly and graphically depicted on the displayed curve.

Servo Monitor
Keep real time tabs on each channel’s control position, direction of movement and mixing relationship with this all-in-one servo monitor that can help you visualize mixes before flying.

Switch Assignment
The DX7 offers switch assignment that lets you conveniently combine dual rates on one of many switches or program them to be activated separately.

5-Point Heli Throttle and Pitch Curves
Four flight modes (normal, stunt 1, stunt 2 and hold) are available each with its own five- point throttle and pitch curve. Graphical depiction of the curves makes adjustments clear and easy to understand.

Gyro Sensing
The gyro function allows two gyro gain presets that can be automatically accessed via flight modes or with the rudder dual rate switch.

CCPM Mixing
The DX7 supports mechanical mix helis as well as three types of CCPM mixing, including 2 servo 100*, 3 servo 90* and the most common 3 servo 120*. Swashplate aileron, elevator and pitch values are independently adjustable making precise setup easy.

It also includes:

- AR7000 Dual Receiver
- 4-DS821 72 oz/in digital servos
- 1500mAh Tx battery with 6-hour duration

FAQs

Q: What is the range of the DX7? Can I fly large scale airplanes and helicopters with the system?
A: The DX7’s range allows even giant-scale airplanes and unlimited class sailplanes to be flown to the limits of sight. The AR7000 receiver incorporates a second remotely mounted receiver thatsees a slightly different RF environment. This remote receiver is the key that allows sophisticated aircraft of all sizes and types to maintain a solid RF link out to the limits of sight.

Q: What is DSM2?
A: DSM2 technology is Spektrum’s second-generation proprietary spread spectrum protocol. DSM2 (Digital Spektrum Modulation 2nd version) is optimized to allow all types and sizes of aircraft to be flown. With DSM2, latency has been greatly reduced and in fact the system offers faster response time than any brand of 72MHz PCM system.

Q: What is Model Match? ServoSync?
A: Model Match (patent pending) prevents the pilot from flying a model using the wrong memory. During binding (the process of teaching the receiver the specific code of the transmitter) the receiver actually learns and remembers the specific model memory that is selected during binding. Later if the system is turned on and a different model memory in the transmitter is selected, the system will not operate. This prevents the disastrous issue of trying to fly a model using the wrong model memory. Simply selecting the correct model in model memory will cause the system to connect.

Q: Will the DX7 work with AR6000 park-flyer receivers that are included with the DX6?
A: Yes. The AR6000 receiver included with the DX6 works perfectly with the DX7 transmitter. It actually benefits from the faster response time of DSM2 as well as the DX7’s ModelMatch and ServoSync features. It’s important to remember though that the AR6000 should only be used in park flyer-type airplanes or mini helicopters. Despite the many benefits the DX7 gives the AR6000, it does not allow it to be flown in large glow, gas or turbine aircraft.

Q: How long will the batteries last in the transmitter?
A: The included 1500mAh transmitter battery offers nearly 6 hours of flight time in the DX7 transmitter.

Q: Can I use various brands of servos including digitals with the DX7?
A: Yes. All popular brands of three-wire servos including digitals and even high-current-draw digital servos work with the DX7 system.

Q: The receiver has an extra part attached to it. What does this part do?
A: The AR7000 incorporates two receivers; an internal receiver is located on the main board and the extra part you’re referring to is actually an external (or satellite) receiver. By mounting the external receiver in a slightly different location with its antenna oriented in a different direction greatly improves the RF link in difficult environments.

Q: Any guidelines for mounting the receiver?
A: Just mount the main portion of the receiver exactly as you would a conventional 72MHz receiver in your airplane or heli but leave the antennas facing outward. The external receiver antennas should be mounted at least two inches from the main receiver antennas. Ideally the two receiver antenna arrays will be oriented 90 degrees to each other. In an airplane, the side of the fuselage or in the turtle deck is perfect for mounting the external receiver. For helis, the side of the radio tray is a good spot for the external receiver. Servo tape works great for holding the external antenna in place.

Q: The antenna wires are very short. Why so short and do they really work?
A: Each antenna wire is 1.25 inches long. The 2.4GHz wavelength is much shorter than 72MHz and that is the reason the antenna is this short length. It makes mounting the receiver in the model much easier because you don’t have to worry about what to do with the long antenna wire.

Q: When using long servo leads and or Y-harnesses should I use amplifiers, chokes or other filters.
A: No. Spektrum’s 2.4GHz system is immune to interference caused by long servo leads and there is no need to add filters. In fact, some types of amplified Y-harnesses won’t operate with the Spektrum system.

The System
The DX7 DSM2 transmitter features airplane and heli software, 20-model memory and all the programming functions you would ever need for anything requiring
7 channels. And the large dot matrix, LCD screen makes accessing and using the software simple and straightforward.

Item#: SPM2710 DX7 2.4GHz DSM 7-Channel Airplane System $349.99
SPM2712 DX7 2.4GHz DSM 7-Channel Heli System $349.99
SPM6070 AR7000 Dual Receiver $109.99

Spektrum is distributed exclusively by:
Horizon Hobby, Inc.
4105 Fieldstone Rd.
Champaign, IL 61822
(217) 352-1913
www.spektrumrc.com
LeadingEdge is offline Find More Posts by LeadingEdge
Last edited by madmax; 10-19-2006 at 10:26 AM.
Old 10-19-2006, 02:18 AM
Find More Posts by SargeNZ
E-Flight Pimp
Gouche of the world, NZ
Joined Jun 2006
462 Posts

OMGOMG! When I update I know what Im getting!
SargeNZ is offline Find More Posts by SargeNZ
Old 10-19-2006, 02:33 AM
Find More Posts by adrian
Israel, Tel Aviv
Joined Jan 2006
2,931 Posts

wha hoooo!!! amazing ****
adrian is offline Find More Posts by adrian
Last edited by adrian; 10-19-2006 at 05:11 AM.
Old 10-19-2006, 02:40 AM
Find More Posts by Fly-guy
Mother Huckin' Pro Bro
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Jan 2006
488 Posts

'bout time!!!!!!!!

This is great news, now, the DX-9, 9303 feaures with spread spectrum
Fly-guy is offline Find More Posts by Fly-guy
Old 10-19-2006, 02:41 AM
Find More Posts by DiabloKid
Say Ah!
United States, VA, Stone Ridge
Joined Jan 2006
737 Posts

this is truly an amazing thing to happen. I wonder how long it will take Futaba to catch on?

This is the tip of the iceberg, the technology can only get better and it seems this will keep the never ending radio wars alive which means better pricing and selection for us

also no more "I GOT SHOT DOWN" bs...LOL

kudos to Horizon for this
DiabloKid is offline Find More Posts by DiabloKid
Old 10-19-2006, 03:00 AM
Find More Posts by madmax
The Michael Jordan of RC
United States, CA, Aliso Viejo
Joined Jan 2006
22,516 Posts

This is THE MAN right here folks. Paul Beard. Without his creative mind, vision, and smarts, we would have nothing but a lifetime of frequency drama to deal with. Paul is one of the nicest guys in the hobby - I've spent a ton of time with him this past year, and I love him to death! He's a pretty good stick too!

Paul, if you're reading this, on behalf of myself, Bob, our Staff & Crew - Thank you for bringing this technology to life. You should be on the cover of Time Magazine.

Max
madmax is offline Find More Posts by madmax
Last edited by madmax; 01-09-2014 at 04:01 AM.
Old 10-19-2006, 03:02 AM
Find More Posts by rcflyer
Texas, USA
Joined Jan 2006
680 Posts

Looks like I'll be dropping Futaba very soon and going JR
rcflyer is offline Find More Posts by rcflyer
Old 10-19-2006, 03:29 AM
Find More Posts by Dan_nO
Frankfort, Ky.
Joined Jan 2006
3,006 Posts

Feel the Difference !
Dan_nO is offline Find More Posts by Dan_nO
Old 10-19-2006, 04:13 AM
Find More Posts by b0Bro'
Melbourne, Vic, Australia
Joined Jul 2006
519 Posts

This is kewl, hopefully by the time spectrum release something like the futaba 12 and 14z's ill be ready to update my radio to one of these puppys!
b0Bro' is offline Find More Posts by b0Bro'
Old 10-19-2006, 04:51 AM
Find More Posts by i3dm
Israel
Joined Jan 2006
86 Posts

Thats very cool guys, good job!
i3dm is offline Find More Posts by i3dm
Old 10-19-2006, 05:12 AM
Find More Posts by jaguar bone
balsa, glue & gas
United States, FL, Winter Garden
Joined Jun 2006
3,044 Posts

This looks like the radio I have been looking for to replace my 6 yr old tried and true JR.
So glad I held off making the upgrade replacement!
Screw the ham band testing / licensing!
jaguar bone is offline Find More Posts by jaguar bone
Old 10-19-2006, 06:12 AM
Find More Posts by spaceW
France
Joined Jan 2006
118 Posts

I add a link dealing with the same system.

http://www.xtremepowersystems.net/xtremelink.php

The brand is not Spektum but this device seems to be very marvellous too. It's a 2.4ghz module ( there is one module per branch s oyou wo'nt hav to change your previous transmitter.)
I am eager to see more about this. at last we will have a safer link to our favorite plane!!
spaceW is offline Find More Posts by spaceW
Old 10-19-2006, 07:21 AM
Find More Posts by Ch!eF
Joined Jan 2006
136 Posts

Looks like i am gonna use my ff9 with a 2,4ghz module.
Ch!eF is offline Find More Posts by Ch!eF
Old 10-19-2006, 07:31 AM
Find More Posts by OnTheEdge
Pa
Joined Jan 2006
685 Posts

Looks like this second antenna set up is what will help the "blanking out" that can occur in the first generation Spektrum. Anyone know if you can extend the connector in between these two? (i.e. put one in the fuse and one in a wing panel)

........Mark

OnTheEdge is offline Find More Posts by OnTheEdge

Quick Reply