logo
Old 11-24-2014, 04:03 PM
Find More Posts by doubleloop
in GP I trust
france
Joined Jan 2006
444 Posts
I have just ordered mine, his GP 61 is already waiting for himstill hesitating between RE2 and JMB cans,servos will be 9157 from my late extra carf
doubleloop is offline Find More Posts by doubleloop
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 11-24-2014, 07:45 PM
Find More Posts by jwilliams
Happy contrails
Near Louisville, KY
Joined Jan 2006
3,822 Posts
If you put your lipos up in the motorbox near the motor just put 1/2" of foam under it and one wrap velcro, no zip ties. This will reduce the vibration immensely, but if you think the airframe has any less vibration a foot away you are kidding yourself.
Jeff
jwilliams is offline Find More Posts by jwilliams
Old 11-24-2014, 08:28 PM
Find More Posts by jdracing3
I like pancakes
Joined Jan 2008
2,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DJunk View Post
Hi,

Thanks Jase and Jase's Dad...

Tested the model, yesterday. First Comments:

- Has come really tail heavy with the KS pipe. In 45' inverted upline it was performing ouside loop. Also in the vertical uplines had the tendency to pull to the belly.

- In Left KE it was also pulling a lot to the belly. This is due to CG most probably.

- The plane with the 40' throws and sealed ailerons is a fast 3D rolling machine...the greatest fast 3D rolls ever. Great fun. Jase and Jase's Dad Do you use the same throw for 3D harrier rolls or you have a higher rate condition on ails for 3D?

- The snap rolls and and stops are very predictable. It is a snap machine.

- Did not lock in harriers very well, it is touchy with the rear CG and the the huge elevator 50 '' throw. I suppose if I move the CG forward it will be as I want it.

- I had high consumption on my lipo packs, in 8-9 minute flight I had around 600 mAh per flight. I use currently Thunder Power 2100 per Rx x 2. So after 4 flights they need recharging. Probably I will use bigger packs such as pulse 5000mAh Rx to move my CG forward.

- The DA 60 with the pipe is more than enough in hover pull outs etc. High alpha rolling eights, loops etc. are done easily with the some power effect as the 120cc models. However I get around 7.680 (hot)-7.750 (cold) with the VESS 24B Stealth. I would like to ask Jase and Jase's Dad is this is ok you think? My plane does not have the speed of Jase's plane with the RE2 in any case and same prop. Also when I am at full rpm and then throttle back, I see a significant decrease in RPM and then increase. Is that an indication of Rich or Lean Low End needle setting? I did not have this behanviour with open muffler, just with the pipe. My perception is that it is lean, but when I make it richer it starts burbbling in the midrange specially in KE.

- Conclusion: The model is great, If I move the CG forward it will lock better in horizontal and vertical lines and full speed flying. May be I will have to use a heavier spinner as well in addition to the heavier LiPo packs. If I make this change I think the performance will be optimal in every aspect.

I will post in flight pictures tonight.

Comments and questions are wellcome. I would appreciate if jdaracing3 could address my questions above please.

Regards,

3D,

First off congrats on your maiden!! ...nicely done

You are correct, your set-up is tail heavy. Depending on your charging habits, I would not go much bigger than a pair of 2500mAh packs just to keep the weight down. However, with that being said, the Edge will handle the extra weight of the larger packs you suggested. We just like to keep things light as possible. If you can get those packs out on the motor box your odd flight characteristics will disappear. Just continue doing your inverted 45 degree up line test till it pretty much holds that heading hands off on the elevator. If you can achieve that, then you have hit the sweet spot.
Jase uses only one rate on ALL his planes from precision flying to 3D flying. He also uses very little expo considering. So, in high alpha stuff his aileron throw is at 38-39 degrees max. With that being said, those settings are what works best for him. You may find different settings which best fit your flying style. The 38-39 degree deflection will give the highest efficiency on your ailerons however.
Moving on the engine, it's been a little while since we have run the DA-60. But with the DA-70 upon landing after one of Jase's most extreme flights the engine will be anywhere between 160-180 degrees F. Its hard to give advise on your engine's tune with out actually being there to see exactly what it is doing in person. But I can tell you at about 1500ft Density Altitude our needle settings with the DA-60 and RE2 was 1 1/8 open on the low and 1 1/4 open on the high. The fuel we run is 91 octane ethanol free gas with 40:1 redline mix. Another prop you might consider trying is the Carbon Falcon 24x9. This prop will spool up a little faster and allow the 60 to come on the pipe a little earlier getting it into and keeping it at its most efficient RPM range. The RPM's you are showing are not bad at all. I don't know how much time you have on this engine but it will increase in power as the run-in process progresses

I hope I was of help to you. I don't get the chance to check the forums as much as I used to but please continue to post your results here and I will do my best to follow along. You can also shoot me an email and I will do my best to answer there as well. jdussia@att.net
Good luck and have fun!!!
jdracing3 is offline Find More Posts by jdracing3
Last edited by jdracing3; 11-24-2014 at 08:34 PM.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:51 PM
Find More Posts by jdracing3
I like pancakes
Joined Jan 2008
2,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150flyer View Post
I am not sold on the benefits of the EXP horizontal stabs. As they do create a tail heavy setup that requires all batteries in the motor box. They also make transportation more challenging. It would be nice if the EXP stabs were an option...

...Once you get your CG set, you will find this is be a very nice flying plane. I can feel the difference between this plane and my PilotRC 30% Yak54. It flies noticeably better and lands like a dream.

Hi 5150flyer

We have had each version of the 88" Edge, the V1 and the V2 EXP. Both versions have required the RX and ign. packs to be mounted on/in the motor box to obtain the perfect CG. To go along with this, each version is extremely precise in flying. But with the added EXP stabs you get that added bonus of those extreme high energy tumbles along with the razor sharp precision the Edge is known for. Give all the credit for this ability to Mr. Hinson, as other airframe designers have yet to figure this combination out.
jdracing3 is offline Find More Posts by jdracing3
Last edited by jdracing3; 11-24-2014 at 11:58 PM.
Old 11-25-2014, 01:12 PM
Find More Posts by 5150flyer
Avoiding Fake News
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Mar 2007
1,753 Posts
jdracing3,

I don't do "extreme high energy tumbles" on this plane Save that for my EF 60" Edge! The EXP stabs allow slow flop the tail type maneuvers that are unique and just good fun. I have also noticed they help lock-in high alpha and quickly correct my 3D mistakes.

I wouldn't use LiPo batteries in any gas burner and I have a very smooth running DA60 in my Edge. That's just my opinion, 1/2 inch of foam and velco straps isn't enough vibration protection. But again that is my opinion based on seeing a handful of LiPo's fail in gas plans.
5150flyer is offline Find More Posts by 5150flyer
Old 11-25-2014, 03:16 PM
Find More Posts by jwilliams
Happy contrails
Near Louisville, KY
Joined Jan 2006
3,822 Posts
5150. the Dussia's and I both run our lipos up in the motor box area and no problems after 4 years doing it this way. Not sure why your seeing a few others fail, but that can always happen or they may not have had proper foam or they may have used zip ties (bad in my opinion) or they may have had them where they were getting a little bit of hot engine air on them??? Who knows. I can also tell you that Chris Hinson and others on Team EF run it this way and no problems so just something to reconsider. If you don't feel comfortable then don't do it. But like I said above the engine vibration(s) is/are gonna be the same a foot away as they are right next to the motor. In any case I do hope you get it ironed out, this plane is just too much fun to not have it perform 100%.
Jeff
jwilliams is offline Find More Posts by jwilliams
Old 11-25-2014, 04:12 PM
Find More Posts by 3DJunk
I'd rather be out flying.
Greece
Joined Feb 2006
623 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdracing3 View Post
3D,

First off congrats on your maiden!! ...nicely done

You are correct, your set-up is tail heavy. Depending on your charging habits, I would not go much bigger than a pair of 2500mAh packs just to keep the weight down. However, with that being said, the Edge will handle the extra weight of the larger packs you suggested. We just like to keep things light as possible. If you can get those packs out on the motor box your odd flight characteristics will disappear. Just continue doing your inverted 45 degree up line test till it pretty much holds that heading hands off on the elevator. If you can achieve that, then you have hit the sweet spot.
Jase uses only one rate on ALL his planes from precision flying to 3D flying. He also uses very little expo considering. So, in high alpha stuff his aileron throw is at 38-39 degrees max. With that being said, those settings are what works best for him. You may find different settings which best fit your flying style. The 38-39 degree deflection will give the highest efficiency on your ailerons however.
Moving on the engine, it's been a little while since we have run the DA-60. But with the DA-70 upon landing after one of Jase's most extreme flights the engine will be anywhere between 160-180 degrees F. Its hard to give advise on your engine's tune with out actually being there to see exactly what it is doing in person. But I can tell you at about 1500ft Density Altitude our needle settings with the DA-60 and RE2 was 1 1/8 open on the low and 1 1/4 open on the high. The fuel we run is 91 octane ethanol free gas with 40:1 redline mix. Another prop you might consider trying is the Carbon Falcon 24x9. This prop will spool up a little faster and allow the 60 to come on the pipe a little earlier getting it into and keeping it at its most efficient RPM range. The RPM's you are showing are not bad at all. I don't know how much time you have on this engine but it will increase in power as the run-in process progresses

I hope I was of help to you. I don't get the chance to check the forums as much as I used to but please continue to post your results here and I will do my best to follow along. You can also shoot me an email and I will do my best to answer there as well. jdussia@att.net
Good luck and have fun!!!
Hey JDad,

Many thanks for the detailed answer. I really appreciate your time.

Well I think the reasons why my plane came tail heavy is related to the larger tail but also this is due to:

- Heavy pipe - KS 1060 is the heaviest in the class
- Heavy tail servos, I use MKS HV777 which are heavier than HiTec about 10gr each
- Very light spinner and LiPos which are placed just behind the cowl.

Well I would not rather to place my LiPos in the motor box, because this does not allow access for inspection, balancing etc.

If this is the case I may use heavier, packs and spinner and also finally I may have to remove the pipe and use a std muffler.

I really liked the sound of the pipe but...if it does not work on that plane, then we have to remove it.

Some more pics from the maiden session...enjoy our lovely airfield.
3DJunk is offline Find More Posts by 3DJunk
Old 11-25-2014, 05:47 PM
Find More Posts by 5150flyer
Avoiding Fake News
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Mar 2007
1,753 Posts
3Djunk,

Keep working it this plane its worth the effort and I would try to keep the pipe on this big bird.

- Heavy tail servos, I use MKS HV777 which are heavier than HiTec about 10gr each
Consider Spektrum S6030 in the elevators @ 1.8 ounces each (52 grams)
- Very light spinner and LiPos which are placed just behind the cowl.
Use a solid back plate spinner that an easy/cheap way to put some weight in the nose.

Well I would not rather to place my LiPos in the motor box, because this does not allow access for inspection, balancing etc.
Couldn't agree more especially if using lipo.

I have seen lipo's do this a few too many times. As Jeff states its what makes you comfortable combined with thoughtful setup that matters most.
5150flyer is offline Find More Posts by 5150flyer
Last edited by 5150flyer; 11-25-2014 at 06:05 PM.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:56 PM
Find More Posts by andersoneric04
3D Heli pilot turned planker
United States, WI, Madison
Joined Nov 2012
579 Posts
I'm using Savox 1231/1230's which allow me to mount LiFe batteries in the motor box. LiFe batteries are safe to charge in your plane.....IMO. I have an RE2 and my CofG is right on the wing bolt behind the wing tube. Hands off inverted flight. Awesome plane!...with insane power! Keep the pipe. You can see my setup in the video below

GP 61 and MTW RE2 initial tuning (2 min 53 sec)
andersoneric04 is offline Find More Posts by andersoneric04
Old 11-25-2014, 10:07 PM
Find More Posts by andersoneric04
3D Heli pilot turned planker
United States, WI, Madison
Joined Nov 2012
579 Posts
I switch to a Mejzlik 23/10 from the Falcon 24/9 in this video. Unfortunately we just got hit with snow early so I may not get to try it until March
andersoneric04 is offline Find More Posts by andersoneric04
Old 11-26-2014, 02:16 AM
Find More Posts by doubleloop
in GP I trust
france
Joined Jan 2006
444 Posts
I have futaba 9157 and savox 1256 for my plane,do you think that the 1256 will be enough for the elevator,because I would prefer to use them here as they are lighter than the 9157
doubleloop is offline Find More Posts by doubleloop
Old 11-26-2014, 03:33 AM
Find More Posts by 3DJunk
I'd rather be out flying.
Greece
Joined Feb 2006
623 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleloop View Post
I have futaba 9157 and savox 1256 for my plane,do you think that the 1256 will be enough for the elevator,because I would prefer to use them here as they are lighter than the 9157
No if you play with 1,75 arm it will not be enough. For sure you will have blowback with that surface.

If you use 1,25 or 1,5 and small throw then it will be just ok. 1256 is intended for 30cc models and not 60cc extreme aircraft such as the EF Edge 88''.

I currently use 2 x 38Kg servos by MKS for both elevators with 1,75 arms providing 50' of throw, and the tumbles plus downline walls are insane. I think my fuselage will break into two pieces.
3DJunk is offline Find More Posts by 3DJunk
Old 11-26-2014, 08:16 AM
Find More Posts by Sanglant
Joined Feb 2010
83 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleloop View Post
Personally I think the 1256 servo's would be sufficient, I use the hitec 7955's which are about the same with no problem. I know the 7955's are rated at 333oz but we all know they are over-rate so the Savox at 277oz should be fine.

Rick
Sanglant is offline Find More Posts by Sanglant
Old 11-26-2014, 08:46 AM
Find More Posts by Torquerolljoe
When did I learn to fly?
United States, TX, Corpus Christi
Joined Oct 2006
385 Posts
I have been running Savox 1232sg on all my flying surfaces for 2 years on this airframe. They have taken a beating and are still going strong. No blowback or issues with high speed walls, parachutes, etc. They are rated 305 in/oz @ 6v.
Torquerolljoe is offline Find More Posts by Torquerolljoe
Old 11-26-2014, 08:48 AM
Find More Posts by Torquerolljoe
When did I learn to fly?
United States, TX, Corpus Christi
Joined Oct 2006
385 Posts
This is straight off of Extreme Flight website for the 88" Edge:
Torquerolljoe is offline Find More Posts by Torquerolljoe

Quick Reply