logo
Old 10-01-2008, 01:16 PM
Find More Posts by PilotCK
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Sep 2008
166 Posts
Fromeco Sahara Reg Set Up

Hi there, going with two Sahara regs to untilize a redundant system. Question is, what switch for those using the Fromeco products?

Badger or Wolverine? Which model for this particular set up? I will be using 2 2600mah relion packs for powering.

Also I was told that the DA50 ignitions will not except a Relion pack unless used with a regulator. So can I tap into one of the regs or would I have to use a different battery pack like the Iron Corps.
PilotCK is offline Find More Posts by PilotCK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 10-01-2008, 01:40 PM
Find More Posts by PilotCK
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Sep 2008
166 Posts
Re: Fromeco Sahara Reg Set Up

Also, not sure if I will needing a PowerBox any advise? Using a 2.4 9303 with a 9channel JR RX. I think this should be sufficent for the EF 88 Yak?
PilotCK is offline Find More Posts by PilotCK
Old 10-01-2008, 03:57 PM
Find More Posts by khedge
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2006
1,225 Posts

the wolverine switch is two badger switches in one. They allow the batteries to draw down the the same. I was running two regs and two badgers in my extra, but I switched them out for a turbo reg. As far as the ignition I am running a Fromeco reg and li-ion on the ignition of my DA-85.It works great.You can elimate the reg by using the iron corps and a badger.
khedge is offline Find More Posts by khedge
Old 10-10-2008, 09:27 PM
Find More Posts by crash-n-burn
United States, FL, Lakeland
Joined Feb 2008
2,090 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilotck View Post
Hi there, going with two Sahara regs to untilize a redundant system. Question is, what switch for those using the Fromeco products?

Badger or Wolverine? Which model for this particular set up? I will be using 2 2600mah relion packs for powering.

Also I was told that the DA50 ignitions will not except a Relion pack unless used with a regulator. So can I tap into one of the regs or would I have to use a different battery pack like the Iron Corps.

The best switch to use in your case is the wolveriene, I have the same set up as you and I can tell you from experience the switch is great. Its redundant feature saved my plane when I had a Li-ion pack go bad. Not to mention when a pack goes bad you have a visual indication b/c one of the blue switch lights wont come on.

As far as the DA 50 the ignition can not take anything over 6.0 volts period, at 7.4 volt 2600 miliamp pack will fry it and you will lose you engine in flight. You must use a regulator but do not "tap" a regulator powering your reciever, this is essentially mixing ignition and flight electronics which generally only causes problems, esp if you dont have a 2.4 radio. Get a IGN regulator and keep that stuff seperate or just by a A123 batt for the ignition and save the Li-ion as a back up for your flight packs.
crash-n-burn is offline Find More Posts by crash-n-burn
Old 10-11-2008, 10:38 PM
Find More Posts by GooseF22
Old Grey Beard Fighter Pilot
Ft Wayne, IN
Joined Jan 2007
572 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilotck View Post

Let me clarify a couple things. Crashnburn is right..
the wolverine will monitor both batteries and deliver current to a Common bus. even though it has two or three output leads, they are all on a common bus. If you put two saharas on the output bus, they are on a common bus, but with two sahara's both batteries will be powering both regulators giving you the maximum current capability. So the wolverine is the best answer in this case.

If you have twin badgers, then they are only powered by each battery separately.

It is not common to power ignitions from the rx batteries because of common ground noise issues. some guys with 2.4 do it... I dont. check with manufacturer to see if it needs to be regulated. I dont have a DA.

To also rest your mind, my test wolverine switch held up to 40 amps on one bat channel with the other one shorted out, powering from twin outputs running two electric motors at 20 amps each. By the way, that switch still works.
GooseF22 is offline Find More Posts by GooseF22

Quick Reply