logo
Old 11-02-2008, 10:30 PM
Find More Posts by Galaxy 3D
The Blimp man
United States, TX, Bedford
Joined Apr 2006
470 Posts
Re: Krill 39% Katana-build/finish

Thanks for the feed back. I was hoping to use this combo for 3D flying. I have noticed in all of the build threads that everyone seems to be adding nose weight to their airplanes to get them to balance properly. I even saw some pics of people adding lead to the nose. I talked to Phil and he confirmed that the airplane will come in tail heavy with a 150 or 170 engine. The 3W 220 is only 3 pounds heaver than the 3W 170, and it puts out allot more thrust and toque. I was hoping that with this engine I could get the CG right without adding weight. I do understand that we will have to modify the firewall and move it further back. I have a very good glass guy that works for me and when we get the engine and plane in the shop we will start seeing what will have to be done. I will probably start a new build thread so I will not robe this one. I would love to talk with Sebastiano if anyone can get me his contact information. Krill is a bit slow getting back with customers. I am still waiting to get some information on their Yak 55 I purchased.

Thanks,
Tony
Galaxy 3D is offline Find More Posts by Galaxy 3D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 11-03-2008, 07:13 AM
Find More Posts by no limitz
Toronto,Canada
Joined Jan 2006
156 Posts

Galaxy,
here is a link with contacts on Sebastian.

http://www.sebart.it/contacts.html

Let us know what he thinks about your set up.
Good luck.....
no limitz is offline Find More Posts by no limitz
Old 11-04-2008, 01:24 AM
The Blimp man
Joined Apr 2006
470 Posts

Thanks No Limits. I will send him a message this evening. By the way what spinners do you stock to fit this plane. I would like to see about getting one custom painted to match my color scheme. The scheme I ordered is the same as Sebastian's except mine is red, white, and blue. Just like the first one in this build thread. You can email me directly at tonywhite@galaxyblimps.com .

Thanks,
Tony
Old 11-11-2008, 01:04 PM
The Blimp man
Joined Apr 2006
470 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtra330 View Post
man, seems like eternity since I have worked on the Katana. Walk past it everyday just begging to be worked on...but...family first!

OK, the other servo had arrived, so I set forth in setting up the servos in each stab. I am kind of lazy in this aspect, so I decided to use a matchbox on each stab. One thing to note here, is that I had also programmed the 5955TG servos on the Hi-tech programmer...one, to set the bandwidth to the same on all the servos, two; set the center on the servos, and three; set the end points. Once that was done, I set the servos to match eachother on the JR Matchbox. With the servos set up this way, one servo is going to have to be Reversed (through the matchbox). Then set them up as normal.

What was the length of the inner and outer H9 titanium linkage rods that you used?
Old 11-18-2008, 05:23 PM
Find More Posts by loflyby
Flyin' Around
Cross Hill, SC, USA
Joined Sep 2007
9 Posts

If all thinks the Kantana is dead, check out on the IMAC curcuit what David Stewart did with it in the Intermediate Class in the 2008 SE Regionals in Jacksonville, FL. and all year long. Come on KRILL get with it
loflyby is offline Find More Posts by loflyby
Old 12-21-2008, 09:22 PM
Find More Posts by notorious_benny
IMAC wannabe!
Griffith, NSW, Australia
Joined Jan 2006
3,458 Posts

Hey Joe, I have just received my 39% Katana.

My question is regarding the control horns for the ailerons.
As the wing tapers towards the tip, did you take this into account and glue the outer horns the corresponding distance out from the skin of the aileron.

Ie keeping the distance between the hinge line and the hole on the control arm the same on all three locations along the aileron?

The aileron at the outer most horn location is 10mm thinner than at the inner most location. The way I am looking at it the outer most horn needs to be glued 10mm further out than the inner most horn.
notorious_benny is offline Find More Posts by notorious_benny
Old 12-21-2008, 09:50 PM
Find More Posts by xtra330
Joined Feb 2006
1,017 Posts

hey there Notorious - congrats on your new plane! For the ailerons - i glued all the horns in the same as the IB one. All I did was take into acct the distance from the hinge line up to the pivot point on the aileron control horn.

For example - the IB horn I was using the third hole (from the surface) on the control horn - on the OB , I was using the fourth hole up from the bottom. I was trying to keep the same distance all the way across.

If you have a matchbox or Powerbox, or programmer, you can fine tune each servo to match eachother.

Hope this helps.
xtra330 is offline Find More Posts by xtra330
Old 12-21-2008, 09:51 PM
Joined Feb 2006
1,017 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by loflyby View Post
If all thinks the Kantana is dead, check out on the IMAC curcuit what David Stewart did with it in the Intermediate Class in the 2008 SE Regionals in Jacksonville, FL. and all year long. Come on KRILL get with it
David is a machine with this plane - I hope he stops flying it when he gets in the same class as me..
Old 12-21-2008, 09:53 PM
Joined Feb 2006
1,017 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Dprodigy View Post
I am about to order some linkage gear for my 39% krill kat. I plan to trick it out for maximum 3D with JR8711 and was wondering what length servo arms I'll need? I also plan to use TMB ball/swivel links with Hanger9 titanium push rods, any ideas what length rods I should order? Any help appreciated.

Thanks
Paul
I have used 1.25" and 1.5" arms - The most I ever got was about 30 deg of aileron travel - plenty for me, but I am no freestyl pilot...I think Gernot ran 2" arms if Im not mistaken...I ultimatley settled in on 1.25" arms.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:32 AM
Find More Posts by McFueler
Claremont NC USA
Joined Jun 2006
3,225 Posts

Quote:
I have used 1.25" and 1.5" arms - The most I ever got was about 30 deg of aileron travel - plenty for me, but I am no freestyl pilot...I think Gernot ran 2" arms if Im not mistaken...I ultimatley settled in on 1.25" arms.

What do you mean you are no free style pilot ????? I've seen you fly free-style and you do very well at it !
McFueler is offline Find More Posts by McFueler
Old 12-22-2008, 08:51 AM
Find More Posts by wmat7039
SILVER FOX
United States, GA, Dallas
Joined Jan 2006
2,610 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFueler View Post
What do you mean you are no free style pilot ????? I've seen you fly free-style and you do very well at it !
Yes Mark...I agree with you.... I fly with Joe all the time. He's trying to pull the wool over everyone's eyes...BUT we know better!
W
wmat7039 is offline Find More Posts by wmat7039
Old 12-22-2008, 08:59 AM
Find More Posts by pepatrick
Yak - Extra - Yak...yakity yak
Cumming, GA
Joined Apr 2006
2,237 Posts

The same could be said for Wayne...Maybe we should call him "free style jamaican"
pepatrick is offline Find More Posts by pepatrick
Old 12-22-2008, 09:09 AM
Find More Posts by McFueler
Claremont NC USA
Joined Jun 2006
3,225 Posts

Yea , I hear ya !!!!! Wayne can do it Too and now that he has another plane maybe he will get out there and play some also !
McFueler is offline Find More Posts by McFueler
Old 02-14-2010, 04:32 PM
Find More Posts by xtremerc
United States, OK, Stillwater
Joined Sep 2008
102 Posts

Quote:
The next few shots are self explanatory, I had both planes in the garage and decided to take a quick shot before loading the 'flying' Katana back in the trailer.

Joe
Hi, I have a couple questions reguarding the picture of your cowling. Is it necessary to cut out those "V" shaped holes on both side of the cowling, and are they air enterance or exit holes? If they are air enterance, where is the air going?

Thank you,
Seabrook
xtremerc is offline Find More Posts by xtremerc

Quick Reply