logo
Old 04-10-2008, 12:31 AM
Find More Posts by supermo26
Joined Mar 2008
11 Posts
Unanswered Airplane Questions

We have all seen the newbe post about what airplane should be my next plane ect. Funny thing is we read the post but are hesitant to wast money on something we feel won't allow us to do all we want with the plane.

I am fairly new to the hobby. I have a super cub and I too am in the market for a plane. Unlike previous post I don't want to know what my next plane should be. I want to know a few things that I haven't seen on the boards.

What brands of planes should we stay away from?

What brands are better priced?

What shops have the best deals?

What makes one plane more expensive than the same plane made by a different company?

Are there certain companies that have a better build than other?

Instead of asking what kind of plane I should get next, why hasn't any asked what planes are used for what flying styles? or Which are best at what they do?

Is 40 inch wing span best for newer pilots?
(I'v read bigger flys better)

I'v seen a lot of planes and so many of them look the same, except for the price. What is the difference? Seams like there are atleast a dozen different YAK's or EDGE or KATANA's some priced together some more expensive. WHY?

Is a balsa plane better then a foam plane for outdoor flying?
What construction method is typically considered superior?

I'm sure I'll have a few more as this thread gets rolling.

BTW I am a crew chief on F-15's in the OR Air National Guard. I have worked airplanes full time for just over 10 years now. I just got my super cub a year ago with most of my better fligts being last month thanks to the snow and wind.
supermo26 is offline Find More Posts by supermo26
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 04-10-2008, 01:41 AM
Find More Posts by madmax
The Michael Jordan of RC
United States, CA, Aliso Viejo
Joined Jan 2006
22,516 Posts
Re: Unanswered Airplane Questions

Hi Supermo! Welcome to FG dude! This thread is about 15 in one, I look forward to seeing the responses! Thanks too for your service, honored to have you here sir!

best-- Max
madmax is offline Find More Posts by madmax
Old 04-13-2008, 11:59 AM
cid
Find More Posts by cid
cid
United States, PA, Bethel Park
Joined Mar 2008
96 Posts

Wow your asking a lot! ok lets see as far as brands to stay away from I dont think it matters everyone makes a junker now and then I dont know of any that i could say that about. As far as price goes it not so much the maker as its the seller this also awnsers the next question search the net.Now what makes a plane cost more than others its the quality some planes are have better wood in them or better covering a nicer fit between parts all kinds of littel things.Bigger is better bigger planes fly so nice they are not as squirley as smaller planes you just need a bigger bag for all the parts when you crash.When you start looking at bigger planes look at the wing area some have more than others some are longer some are shorter some are lighter than others. It all depends on what people want everyone has there version of the perfect plane. The trick is to find yours I started with foam its cheaper and is easyer to fix but now i buy balsa it looks nicer and i dont mash them up like i use to you also get a better selection of planes. a lot of the questions you asked you will need to find out the awnsers on you own its all part of the learning curve with this hobbie.
cid is offline Find More Posts by cid
Old 04-13-2008, 12:07 PM
Find More Posts by reyn3545
United States, FL, Mulberry
Joined Oct 2006
10,499 Posts

Go to your local field, find real, live people that you can trust, talk to them, then make up your own mind! If there was one "perfect" style, size or construction type, there would be only one. You have some "fixed" criteria that you must work within... budget, the size of your car/truck, etc... then you decide on gas/glow/electric... list your wants and needs, and narrow down the choices based on that.. Your search will lead you to your best choice!

Most folks buy a plane like they buy cars. Some are emotional decisions, some are a well thought out process of selection... either way, fly it and have some fun!

And a big thanks for doing what you do, helping the rest of us to have the freedom to do what we do.
reyn3545 is offline Find More Posts by reyn3545
Old 04-13-2008, 12:10 PM
Find More Posts by 50%plane
Suspended Account
North Mexico
Joined Jan 2006
21,384 Posts

Welcome Supermo!

F15's are cool! I have a friend up there who works NDI with the OR ANG.

As far as companies to stay away from, the saying, "You get what you pay for" is true. Be careful when looking at some of these companies out there. As far as staying away, I wouldn't mess with Aerotech right now due to complicated issues with customers which is landing them in a potential legal mess.

Great Planes and Horizon Hobby have good quality planes that if you have an issue, they will back up their product.

Planes are more expensive than others, sometimes due to brand name, but these days, it more related to quality and completeness of the plane.

As far as what plane to buy, it all depends on where you want to go. Personally, if I was learning to fly right now, I would get the Hanger9 P-51 of F-22. Then transition into sport flying, 3D, aerobatics, etc. Information is all over for the types of planes that fit those styles.

Bigger usually does fly better, but it all depends on the plane, wingloading, etc. My personal favorite is a foamie, but I fly anything up to 50cc at this time.

Hope this helps!
50%
50%plane is offline Find More Posts by 50%plane
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 04-13-2008, 01:29 PM
Find More Posts by BillJ
Where Big is REALLY BIG
United States, VA, Max Meadows
Joined Apr 2006
505 Posts

Welcome to FG... You might need to be a little more specific in the TYPE of flying you want to do..
SCALE, Aerobatic, 3D... That can help people put you in the ballpark of WHY ?? I personally think balsa in the early flying stages is better..simply because easy to repair. Their are MANY designs that are great second airplanes... I would also wonder what engine size you are considering and what servos you have available....These too will help in selection... I agree with the responses that going to your local field can help alot....I know that even though I live near a few good hobby shops,,They won;t necessarily point you in the best direction over the most profitable...Lets here what you're considering and I 'm sure you'll get seom great info......Whatchagot ??
BillJ is offline Find More Posts by BillJ
Old 04-13-2008, 02:48 PM
Find More Posts by eblenkle
Bad-ass Super Contribulator
Illinois
Joined Aug 2007
896 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermo26 View Post
We have all seen the newbe post about what airplane should be my next plane ect. Funny thing is we read the post but are hesitant to wast money on something we feel won't allow us to do all we want with the plane.

I am fairly new to the hobby. I have a super cub and I too am in the market for a plane. Unlike previous post I don't want to know what my next plane should be. I want to know a few things that I haven't seen on the boards.

What makes one plane more expensive than the same plane made by a different company?

Are there certain companies that have a better build than other?Instead of asking what kind of plane I should get next, why hasn't any asked what planes are used for what flying styles? or Which are best at what they do?

I'v seen a lot of planes and so many of them look the same, except for the price. What is the difference? Seams like there are atleast a dozen different YAK's or EDGE or KATANA's some priced together some more expensive. WHY?

I'm sure I'll have a few more as this thread gets rolling.

BTW I am a crew chief on F-15's in the OR Air National Guard. I have worked airplanes full time for just over 10 years now. I just got my super cub a year ago with most of my better fligts being last month thanks to the snow and wind.

Hello Supermo

I think the plane you have, the Supercub is an electric by hobbyzone and uses rudder and elevator only, Correct?

One guy I know wanted to upgrade to a new plane, but took a different approach. Here is what he did.

He gutted the plane by removing the brushed motor and ESC, switched to a 150W outrunner and 20 A brushless ESC with LIPO batteries and put two more servos in the wing and added ailerons.

This way he used the trainer he already had to develope skills with the ailerons, the outrunner gave him a power boost and the high wing with dyhedral makes the plane stable.

Some of the planes you are looking at are mid or low wing with no dyhedral. This is going to make the plane less stable while you're trying to get used to ailerons.

Just my .02

PS. Welcome Aboard!

Thanks
Ernie
eblenkle is offline Find More Posts by eblenkle
Last edited by eblenkle; 04-13-2008 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Welcome
Old 04-13-2008, 02:57 PM
Find More Posts by MadMonkey
That's "MISTER" idiot to you!
United States, TX, Roanoke
Joined Sep 2007
1,064 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermo26 View Post
Okay, I'll bite and try to give you some answers. Beware (and other dudes, don't get pissed at me but I'm going to make a few sweeping generalizations for the FNG ).

The first thing to do is figure out what you want to do. Aerobatics? Scale planes? Just fly in circles? 3D? Racing? The great thing about RC is that yes, you can usually have it both ways... some aerobatic planes can also be fast, scale, and 3D capable. Out of a dive, my 4-Star .40 would hit nearly 100mph, but it could do everything from flatspins to hovering .

That being said, it's a good idea to buy purpose-built planes once you figure out what area of flying you like best.

Quote:
I don't like to knock specific brands, and I'd also like to stress that a lot of this info comes from hearsay, because I don't have a lot of experience with crappy brands (for obvious reasons... heh).

One thing to remember is that many times in this hobby, you do indeed get what you pay for. Try to stay away from flashy ads that show good-looking big planes for $99... generally, they aren't going to be well built, light, or sometimes even very flyable. Stick with Tower Hobbies or Horizon Hobby for better quality planes before making the jump to giant scale.

Stay away from Nitromodels or similar companies unless you find some owners of specific planes who tell you they're great... they can be hit-or-miss a lot of times. Plus, cheap planes usually have crappy instructions

Quote:
Tower Hobbies as mentioned has some very good deals on planes, especially sport planes. If you're going to try glow planes, pick up a good 2nd plane from them, like a 4-Star I mentioned earlier, or maybe a Phoenix Dolphin. If you're getting into glow, I suggest starting with a .40 size plane since they're cheap, use standard equipment, and are a LOT of fun. I flew only that size until a few years ago.

Quote:
Stated above... give Tower Hobbies or Horizon Hobby a try first. Horizon carries great quality EFlite electrics if you want to go that route, too.

Quote:
In general? Quality, strength, looks, weight, etc. Very few similar planes from different companies are created equal... a good idea is to hit up RCUniverse's product review section and see what the rating is on the plane you're considering... another good idea is to search the RCU forums, RCGroups, and here, obviously, to try to find more info on the planes you want.

Quote:
Are there certain companies that have a better build than other?
If you're talking about build quality, then yes. Sig, Goldberg, Great Planes, and many other companies produce high-quality ARF's and kits. It's best to research before any purchase, though.

Quote:
Instead of asking what kind of plane I should get next, why hasn't any asked what planes are used for what flying styles? or Which are best at what they do?
Elaborate on that one... I missed what you're getting at

Quote:
No, and yes, bigger does fly better.

Okay, I'll backtrack. 40" span is fine if you're flying a foamy or lightweight electric... not so much for a glow plane, though. I've seen very few that actually fly well in that size. If you're getting into glow, remember I mentioned .40 size planes... generally they'll have wingspans from low 50's to 60's. Good thing to look at is wing loading. Less wing loading, the slower the plane can land (sweeping generalization there ). More wing area and lower overall weight = Better beginner plane.

Quote:
Some are better than others, to put it very simply... but... some are also overpriced. Buy them from a well-known manufacturer who seems to be popular, and usually you'll get a good price and good quality to boot. Phoenix, for example, builds great planes for cheap prices... I've had 3 of them with no complaints. Seagull, Great Planes, and Phoenix also all build Yak models... and they're all good. But they have different prices and sizes...

It can get confusing. Research, research, research.

Quote:
In wind, usually a balsa plane will be built heavier than a foamy (excluding very light electrics), which makes them less likely to get tossed around. More stability is a good thing, especially when you're learning!! In no wind, it doesn't make much of a difference.

As for which is superior, that's a matter of personal preference and taste. I prefer balsa. Some prefer foam.

Quote:
I LOVE Eagles! Glad to have you on board

What I posted is a very small snippet of info. You'll get much, much more if you stick around.

Good luck!
MadMonkey is offline Find More Posts by MadMonkey
Old 04-13-2008, 04:03 PM
Find More Posts by reyn3545
United States, FL, Mulberry
Joined Oct 2006
10,499 Posts

Someone earlier mentioned glow trainers... I went through the Nextar (not good for me) and then purchased the Hangar 9 P-51 trainer. It was before the F22 was announced.

In terms of marketing a "trainer" with classic good looks, great flying characteristics, and the ability to have the plane grow with your skills... they hit a home run. You can get the whole thing, radio and all, for about $400, and continue to use the radio after you outgrow the plane.

I'm sure there are other good values out there, but this one got me over the "hump" of chasing a plane and on to the fun of flying one.
reyn3545 is offline Find More Posts by reyn3545
Old 04-13-2008, 11:35 PM
Find More Posts by supermo26
Joined Mar 2008
11 Posts

After getting too confident with my Super Cub, I hit the goal pole instead of scoring a point. That will teach me to mess around with objects that are stroner than my plane.
So with that being said I have a bucket full of 2 dead super cubs. I'm thinking of getting a new fues only and swapping everything over. I have 2 wings with little damage, one of which I cut 3 inches off the ends. It helped the plane to be a little more responsive. Might of lost a little lift but that could of been from me re-attaching the motor mound to the plane with epoxy. For some reason it would line up so good the second time I glued it. I also have a new wing and tail section still in the bag. I may do the Aileron upgrade since I have the new radio comming. If I were to swap to Brushless and lipo set up, It would have to be something that I could install in another plane. I' hate to throw too much bling (cash) into a $159.00 super cub. Especially when there are so much better planes out there. I do need a few props and cowls. I also have 2 landing gear, (1 new). Other than SC parts, I ordered a Transmitter form Danalds last Friday. I went a little overboard. I refinanced the house to get the x9303. Not really, just charged it to the credit card. I plan on taking advantage of the buy 2 RX get to RX free deal.

I have been searching the internet a lot. Been to RC groups and RC Universe (seen the user review) also been to Watts flyer or soething like that. Been to who knows how many online stores. My favorites list is a mile long. Wife is aways so I have too much time to surf for plane info. Unfortinuatly I have been flying solo, self taught with the help of mother nature, CA glue and epoxy. I have herd of some places in Keno OR but have yet to go there and check out the scean. I have been talking to a guy at work that flys a few planes. We are suppost to get together when he gets back into flying this season. (snow is still melting in some spots.)

Instead of asking what kind of plane I should get next, why hasn't any asked what planes are used for what flying styles? or Which are best at what they do? What I'm trying to find out here is what plane (Yak, Edge, Mini, Katana, ect) are built or mage to fly which style of flying ( 3d, aerobatic, race, pattern ect)
Example. A lot of 3d guys fly Yak or Extra's Is that what thoes planes were designed to do? I do realize you can set up a plane to fly how you want it but I'm trying to figure out if ther are some modles that are best for just one type of flying. So that I or some other newbe does't go out and get a Yak and expect to go rife the thremals. (exageration of course).

supermo26 is offline Find More Posts by supermo26
Old 04-14-2008, 12:50 AM
Find More Posts by Tired Old Man
Suspended Account
California
Joined Jul 2006
4,329 Posts

What you have now, a Cub, is by far the best airplane you will ever have to help you develop your skills. Larger Cubs will of course fly better than smaller versions due to wing loadings and engine sizes, but a Cub will teach you all you need to know about coordinated use of the controls. Those that have never flown a medium size Cub will never be able to understand how you can input full aileron but not turn until the rudder is used along with the aileron.

Size of the plane makes quite a difference in how it can be used. Real small Edges, Katanas, Yaks, and such will only be good for fun aerobatics. Generally they just aren't stable enough for any kind of precision with any wind blowing. As those planes grow their ability to stradle a fence between precision and wild 3D aerobatics grows with them. At a certain point, let's call it 27-30%, those planes can be excellent for both type of flying.

The Edges, Yaks, Sukhois, Caps, Katanas were all originally full scale designs purpose built for full scale aerobatics. We've just shrunk them down and introduced some new maneuvers that the full scale people are now trying to imitate. The Ultimate biplane was originally a plane that was designed as a model and later upscaled to full scale for precision aerobatics.

Profile planes and other fat wing designs are intended for fun and wild aerobatics. If you happen to obtain one that flies precison maneuvers well, you got a bonus. There are some fat wing designs that were intended to fly precision well, but those are few. Generally the profiles and other fat wing planes could be considered to fall into a high risk category. Most people push them to the limit with the expected results. They had fun getting there, though.

You have the warbird classes that generally are limited to scale types of flying. If the full scale warbird would do it, the model will be doing the same. Scale flying is extremely difficult to do in a manner that accurately represents full scale flight. Smooth and coordinated and always under positive control are key flight factors.

Trainers are trainers, and with few exceptions that's all they are good for. There are what I like to call "transitional trainers" such as the Four Star that prepare the low time flyer for aerobatics while still keeping a stable flight platform. You have an advanced trainer when viewed from control usage perspectives. Fortunately, you have one of those rare planes that falls into a cross over category since it requires that the operator correctly learn to use all the controls to fly the plane safely and effectively while being mildly aerobatic, and fits well with other planes in it's class like a Citabria or Decathlon.

A good rule to follow is the more maneuverable it is, the more skill it requires to fly safely. Typically the more manueverable the plane the less stable it will be. There are exceptions however. Those with lessor skills flying more maneuverable planes are typically the ones that buy the most planes. Those that are still constantly breaking propellers or ripping off the landing gear when they land also fall into that category. Most people move up into more capable planes long before they are ready for them. When they fully master the last class of plane they have been flying is when they should move up. Not when they simply get bored and find another plane more appealing to look at.

Many plane types will cross over flying styles and categories, but typically those of a certain design type will fly that class much better than the cross over. Your Cub, a Decathlon, and a Citabria will all fly nice aerobatics but they were not designed for either 3D or precision aerobatics.

Race planes are usually quite distinctive in their appearence. They breath "go fast, turn left" and do that better than any other types of flying. However, many will easily fly light aerobatics. A plane set up from the beginning for high speed racing will rarely fly good aerobatics. It goes too fast.

Hope that helped a little. There are some excellent values for those that take the time to look and communicate with others that have already been there. Some prices are higher than others simply because people are willing to pay the higher price. Doesn't make any sense but that's just the way it is with a few kit manufacturers.
Tired Old Man is offline Find More Posts by Tired Old Man
Last edited by Tired Old Man; 04-14-2008 at 12:56 AM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)

Quick Reply