logo
Old 06-26-2014, 10:13 AM
Find More Posts by krxprt
United States, MI, Davisburg
Joined Jan 2011
1,295 Posts
Are you using a DX8 or a DX18. If you are using a DX8 you don't have enough channels to plug each servo into a channel.
krxprt is offline Find More Posts by krxprt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 06-26-2014, 10:20 AM
Find More Posts by wfield0455
United States, MA, Holliston
Joined Oct 2007
3,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.I.T View Post
Just got the gen1 DX18 because I bought a 35%er and need the channels and I'm having issues with setting up the ignition kill switch. I'm using a JR powersafe 12 channel receiver, 4 ails, 2 elevator, 1 rudder for servo setup. I have the DX8 and I would plug the tech-aero IBEC it into the gear channel and be done. Now my gear channel is being assigned to right ail2. I've tried assigning switch A, which is the gear switch, to aux5 but it doesn't work. The light on tech-aero IBEC is on when I have the switch to off which means I'm getting power to the ignition. I've tried to reassign the right ail2 to a different channel and use the gear channel like I have in the past but changing the gear channel back to gear isn't an option when I scroll through what options I have to assign. I'm at a loss here, any help would be appreciated.
If you can possibly live with the default channel assignments, I would recommend you do so. If you use the channel assign function to move a control surface to a different channel, you may not be able to create a new mix using the reassigned channel as they show up as INH in the mix menu. Any mixes using a reaassigned channel needed to be created BEFORE the remapping. This issue may have been corrected in the latest firmware, but I'd try to live with the default assignments for now.

When you say the tech-aero IBEC doesn't work on AUX5, have you looked in the servo monitor to verify that AUX5 changes with the assigned switch? If AX5 changes in the monitor, try plugging a spare servo into AUX5 at the receiver and verify that it follows the switch. In case you aren't aware of this, if you decide to use AUX6 and AUX7 on the power-safe, you first need to enable X-Plus in the DX18s frame rate menu. In the DX18, AUX6 and AUX7 are referred to as X+1 and X+2.
wfield0455 is online now Find More Posts by wfield0455
Old 06-26-2014, 12:40 PM
Find More Posts by jhelber08
United States, TX, Richmond
Joined Aug 2013
995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfield0455 View Post
If you can possibly live with the default channel assignments, I would recommend you do so. If you use the channel assign function to move a control surface to a different channel, you may not be able to create a new mix using the reassigned channel as they show up as INH in the mix menu. Any mixes using a reaassigned channel needed to be created BEFORE the remapping. This issue may have been corrected in the latest firmware, but I'd try to live with the default assignments for now.

When you say the tech-aero IBEC doesn't work on AUX5, have you looked in the servo monitor to verify that AUX5 changes with the assigned switch? If AX5 changes in the monitor, try plugging a spare servo into AUX5 at the receiver and verify that it follows the switch. In case you aren't aware of this, if you decide to use AUX6 and AUX7 on the power-safe, you first need to enable X-Plus in the DX18s frame rate menu. In the DX18, AUX6 and AUX7 are referred to as X+1 and X+2.
+1 I had to enable x-plus on mine to get kill switch to work on one of the higher aux channels.
jhelber08 is offline Find More Posts by jhelber08
Old 06-27-2014, 09:53 AM
Find More Posts by T.I.T
Thumbs In Training
United States, OR, Damascus
Joined Apr 2013
108 Posts
Thanks guys. I was able to get it to work. I did have to enable x-plus for it to work. I was also told by Andy over on RC groups, can I say that here, to use the 6 ail servo setup vs the 4. He said the 4 ail servo setup was geared more towards Biplanes. I did sick with the default channel assignments. There's a lot for me to learn on this radio.
T.I.T is offline Find More Posts by T.I.T
Old 06-27-2014, 09:54 AM
Find More Posts by BarracudaHockey
Multi Platform Pilot
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Dec 2007
10,876 Posts
RCG and FG are one and the same owners/operators, so yes, you can say it here LOL
BarracudaHockey is online now Find More Posts by BarracudaHockey
Old 06-27-2014, 10:18 AM
Find More Posts by T.I.T
Thumbs In Training
United States, OR, Damascus
Joined Apr 2013
108 Posts
Good to know. I thought RC groups was owned by hobby king? Is this right?
T.I.T is offline Find More Posts by T.I.T
Old 06-27-2014, 06:13 PM
Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
you will be assimilated
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jul 2012
1,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.I.T View Post
Good to know. I thought RC groups was owned by hobby king? Is this right?
Oh snap.

No, they aren't. I've (legitimately) bashed hobbyking over at RCG, have not had problems. But they are a sponsor over there.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old 06-29-2014, 09:00 PM
Find More Posts by Shane Quale
United States, WI, Necedah
Joined Jun 2011
266 Posts
Ok guys here is one for you....

I did 2 binds this weekend for a foamy and my Carden. They both worked great. I now installed updates and realized that my SD card wasnt in so I lost all of my data. Oops! My question is, when I did all the updates none of my receivers will bind now.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Shane Quale
Shane Quale is offline Find More Posts by Shane Quale
Old 06-29-2014, 09:14 PM
Find More Posts by krxprt
United States, MI, Davisburg
Joined Jan 2011
1,295 Posts
They tell you to backup your data before any update. I just updated my transmitter and backed up my data but still had to rebind all of my planes. Something about the gild cannot be transferred with the data.
krxprt is offline Find More Posts by krxprt
Old 06-29-2014, 09:16 PM
Find More Posts by PropsnWings
AMA LM CD IP
Joined Jul 2011
4,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Quale View Post
Ok guys here is one for you....

I did 2 binds this weekend for a foamy and my Carden. They both worked great. I now installed updates and realized that my SD card wasnt in so I lost all of my data. Oops! My question is, when I did all the updates none of my receivers will bind now.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Shane Quale
Similar question was posted on RCG...
PropsnWings is offline Find More Posts by PropsnWings
Old 06-29-2014, 09:25 PM
Joined Jun 2011
266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krxprt View Post
They tell you to backup your data before any update. I just updated my transmitter and backed up my data but still had to rebind all of my planes. Something about the gild cannot be transferred with the data.
I guess I should have backed it all up. We all live and learn. But now I cant bind at all after I installed the updates. Bad install? The lights just keep blinking away and it says failed bind on the transmitter every time. Arrgh!
Old 06-29-2014, 09:46 PM
Find More Posts by PropsnWings
AMA LM CD IP
Joined Jul 2011
4,385 Posts
Try stepping further away when binding.
PropsnWings is offline Find More Posts by PropsnWings
Old 06-29-2014, 11:42 PM
Find More Posts by mxcop
Team Extreme/Team Horizon
Tuckerton, N.J.
Joined Mar 2006
1,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake26m View Post
You would think for a Pro Class radio that these problems would never appear but there ya go. Mine is about two years old and was bought second hand from a friend flying it on mode 1.

Im also using it with an AR8000 on my Episode. I do notice the servos jump on startup a lot. is this normal for everyone?
Every radio manufacturer has issues at times. While there have been thousands of people using the DX 18's without any issues there will always be some that do experience some issues which are in most cases very minor, it's just part of mass production electronic equipment. I know plenty of people who have had to send new and barley used high end radios from other manufacturers back for repairs too. I flew JR for many years and have always been a firm believer that they have some of the best equipment in the world yet I sent my 9303's, 12x's, 9503 and 11x in for service because of failed parts, screens, batteries, switch, etc... I now fly Spektrum and knock on wood my DX 18QQ has been flawless so far. I have always been thankful for Horizon's excellent product support and service, they make these frustrating issues less painful. Hope you have everything squared away and can enjoy your radio without any future issues.

Lee
mxcop is offline Find More Posts by mxcop
Old 06-30-2014, 08:45 AM
Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
you will be assimilated
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jul 2012
1,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake26m View Post
I do notice the servos jump on startup a lot. is this normal for everyone?
Did you bind using preset failsafe?

Power up plane with bind plug, remove bind plug, then bind to your radio using the prest inputs you want.

That fixed a similar issue for me.

Quicktip preset vs hold Failsafe explained Spektrum/OrangeRX eg Naza failsafe (6 min 49 sec)
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old 06-30-2014, 05:08 PM
Joined Jun 2011
266 Posts
Ok I got it figured out. I deleted 1.07 off the so card and reinstalled onto the card, inserted it into the radio and now it works like a champ...

Quick Reply