to remove ads between posts
Old 04-22-2014, 11:29 PM
Find More Posts by Mikecam
Winnipeg Manitoba Canada
Joined Jun 2009
88 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtoguy View Post
I've now witnessed two 1201MGs fail on a fully charged LiFe battery (6.25V measured). I looked at using one as a throttle servo since they looked well built, center well, and seemed like a good bang for the buck. I've used other PowerHD servos (DS 8309 TGs) that were specified for 6v on LiFe quite successfully.

My guess is that the 1201's can't tolerate the 6.25V LiFe voltage when fully charged. Would probably work with a fully loaded system but I wouldn't risk it. Run them off a regulator or some other power source like NiMH.

Paul
I've got 15 of the 1201's in 1/5 warbirds running LifePo4 packs for 2 years with over 100 flights on the one plane and "Knock on wood" no issues so far.
Mikecam is offline Find More Posts by Mikecam
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2014, 08:06 AM
Find More Posts by racer_Yak
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2014
6 Posts
Power HD Storm Servos

Hi guys,

have anyone of u tried the latest Storm series of servos from Power HD? Paper specs and outer appearance looks good. I have juz ordered 2pcs of Storm 4 from SDS hobby to replace my Futaba S3051hv on my 30cc yak 55 elevators one of which have a burned out chip on the circuit board. Was lucky to land with one of the elevator stuck at near neutral position. Well I am not saying Futaba ain't good, in fact if I could have afford I would go for the Futaba BLS series for the replacement.

Torque: 21.0 kg-cm (291.6 oz/in) (6.0V); 25.0 kg-cm (347.1 oz/in) (7.4V)
Speed: 0.10sec (6.0V); 0.085sec (7.4V)
racer_Yak is offline Find More Posts by racer_Yak
Old 06-26-2014, 09:44 AM
Find More Posts by cherrybomb48
Geaux Lower!
United States, LA, Houma
Joined Oct 2010
892 Posts
Hey Racer
They are actually very high quality. Redwing just started to include their storm version in their offerings they seem better than the bigger name brands.

http://www.redwingrc.com/index.php?m...roducts_id=328

Redwing has them for just $5 more per piece but their shipping is pretty cheap so your probably paying about the same in the end and then if you have ANY issue Redwing customer service is awesome! Just send it back and they will swap it out as long as your bought it from Redwing. They deal with the manufacturer directly when there is an issue.
If you are looking for a high quality brushless I'd recommend them. And Brush-less have a lot of advantages.
cherrybomb48 is offline Find More Posts by cherrybomb48
Old 06-27-2014, 03:43 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2014
6 Posts
hi cherry,

thanks for your feedback. Am quite envious how u guys from the States are so much pampered by online retailers such as Redwing RC etc. For us here in Singapore the hassles/costs/transit time of returning items overseas for warranty purposes can only make us pray hard the items r received in gd working condition. Till today even for the LHS here, there is not one engine reseller that can handle engine warranty or servicing by themselves unlike what you have in the States.

Anyway it seems nobody here have yet tried the storm series as they are still quite new. Will try to post pics and if possible video of the servos in action. Pretty excited as this my first go at brushless, full alu case servo!
Last edited by racer_Yak; 06-27-2014 at 09:55 AM.
Old 06-28-2014, 12:41 PM
Geaux Lower!
United States, LA, Houma
Joined Oct 2010
892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_Yak View Post
hi cherry,

thanks for your feedback. Am quite envious how u guys from the States are so much pampered by online retailers such as Redwing RC etc. For us here in Singapore the hassles/costs/transit time of returning items overseas for warranty purposes can only make us pray hard the items r received in gd working condition. Till today even for the LHS here, there is not one engine reseller that can handle engine warranty or servicing by themselves unlike what you have in the States.

Anyway it seems nobody here have yet tried the storm series as they are still quite new. Will try to post pics and if possible video of the servos in action. Pretty excited as this my first go at brushless, full alu case servo!
I gotcha. Maybe it will get better in the future for you guys over there.

Awesome! People need to see how great these servos are. Your really going to like the speed of these servos too. Thanks for keeping us up to date.
Old 07-09-2014, 05:57 AM
Find More Posts by topflight36
Addicted
United States, FL, Brooksville
Joined Sep 2006
3,051 Posts
Racer the storm three specs kinda remind me of the hd-8325s that they use to make. Gonna get some in to try and compare. I know the 8325s where a tough sell do to some nagitive feedback on the Power HD brand at the time. But the guys that bought them loved them. I am hoping these are just a rebranded an upgraded version of them.

I know there is video on here of Colton Clark throwing down with 8325s I believe it's towards the beginning of the thread. If I find it I will repost it.

Btw to everyone I know on here hi.
topflight36 is offline Find More Posts by topflight36
Old 07-10-2014, 08:37 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2014
6 Posts
ok I have got the servos fitted.

Good:

1) Servo is dead quiet without the normal digital whine. If you do hear any whine from the video im gonna post later, its from the Savox 1267sg I had on my rudder.

2) Centering is spot on. Smooth precise movement with high resolution

Bad:

1) Both servos have a fair bit of loose play between the gears when new. I still can live with that .

2) Now one thing dat really disappoints is that one of the servo is very sloppy around the output shaft. I guess normally when we talk about slop/slack in the gear, its the play u get when u try to rotate your servo output left or right. Well I still can live with that as said above. However this sloppy output shaft I referring to is that by holding the output gear tightly and without any gear rotating, you can easily move the output gear off-centred by aprox 0.5mm. I never have such problems even with low-end Towerpro, Futaba S3001 or Savox 0220mg servos. Incidentally I have the habit of shaking lightly any new new electronics items I bought to hear if anything is loose inside and this is the servo that I found to have a very loud clunking sound vs the other ok servo which doesn't have this sound. Tried to open the top case to access the gears for a check but its damn f*ing tight (near to impossible to open, feels like its been torqued with perm Loctite) that the 2xM2 bolt head stripped. Only managed to unscrew the bottom 4xM2 bolts to open the bottom case exposing electronics board but cant access the gears from there.

My humble verdict:-

It seems the motor/electronics on this servo is impressive. But the gear train I feel is not that great even for the other ok servo. If the gear train can work out with something better, this will certainly be a great servo for the price.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:39 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2014
6 Posts
Power HD Storm 4 (1 min 7 sec)
Old 11-09-2014, 11:58 PM
Find More Posts by Mitsu1
United States, AR, Maumelle
Joined Jun 2006
694 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by topflight36 View Post
Racer the storm three specs kinda remind me of the hd-8325s that they use to make. Gonna get some in to try and compare. I know the 8325s where a tough sell do to some nagitive feedback on the Power HD brand at the time. But the guys that bought them loved them. I am hoping these are just a rebranded an upgraded version of them.

I know there is video on here of Colton Clark throwing down with 8325s I believe it's towards the beginning of the thread. If I find it I will repost it.

Btw to everyone I know on here hi.
The 8325's are coreless servos, these Storm servos are brushless. Doubt its the same servo upgraded.
Mitsu1 is offline Find More Posts by Mitsu1
Old 11-10-2014, 11:35 AM
Geaux Lower!
United States, LA, Houma
Joined Oct 2010
892 Posts
I'm running the Storm 3's on 6.6v Life's on a 60cc Redwing Extra 330 and I'm pretty happy with the performance. I only get alittle blow back on the ailerons at high speed. I was told that there is no blow back at 7.4v. I will try them on some Li-ions soon.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:28 PM
Find More Posts by Jkoch713
Hermit
Joined Jan 2008
1,607 Posts
Power HD BLS-2509H Brushless Titanium Gear HV Servo
Is the "STORM" servo .

And can be had at Atomic.... for HALF price right now.....

I may pick some up for the 600E heli... on cyclic.... and report back... but not if it has GEAR SLOP???????
Jkoch713 is offline Find More Posts by Jkoch713
Last edited by Jkoch713; 12-16-2014 at 12:42 PM.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:41 PM
Hermit
Joined Jan 2008
1,607 Posts
BTW I picked up the Futaba BLS275SV for 140$ from tower...(it was a very quick sale) and I have to say, so far, initial quality is AMAZING... I should have picked up 4 more at that price...
Obviously, it is a HELI servo, and has Very good centering (best I have seen) and speed is really great.... NO SLOP at all....

If I found a brushless servo that just as good, for around 100$ I wouldn't ever buy anything else
Last edited by Jkoch713; 12-16-2014 at 11:17 PM.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:45 PM
Hermit
Joined Jan 2008
1,607 Posts
Why such a vary in color ect??????
not exactly quality inspiring.

Also.... Blowback @ 300 oz on Life on the Ailerons?
Perhaps there servo isn't putting out as much as it says?
Old 12-16-2014, 12:53 PM
Geaux Lower!
United States, LA, Houma
Joined Oct 2010
892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkoch713 View Post
Why such a vary in color ect??????
not exactly quality inspiring.

Also.... Blowback @ 300 oz on Life on the Ailerons?
Perhaps there servo isn't putting out as much as it says?
Im thinking the same. I have removed them from the plane and a new owner has the model. The ailerons were quite large on this model. If I come across a 30cc the storms may go in that. One good thing is the storms are water proof! My engine died over a pond and the servos were soaked but still function properly.

Quick Reply