logo
Old 05-20-2014, 05:15 AM
Find More Posts by dhal22
United States, GA, Roswell
Joined Apr 2009
2,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilliams View Post
Excellent recovering job Ryan. I have always loved the look of pattern planes. I still got a Curare that just hangs in my shop I have not flown it for years I just enjoy looking at it. I may have to fly pattern one day if I stop IMAC.
Jeff Williams

Let me know if you want to have someone put that Curare back up in the air. I love classic pattern planes.

David
dhal22 is online now Find More Posts by dhal22
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 05-20-2014, 06:18 AM
Find More Posts by jwilliams
Happy contrails
Near Louisville, KY
Joined Jan 2006
3,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhal22 View Post
Let me know if you want to have someone put that Curare back up in the air. I love classic pattern planes.

David
LOL, I may fly it again I just hate the thought if something happened to it. I too love the look of all pattern planes but especially the classics like the Phoenix, Curare, skynight, Dirty birdy etc etc.
Jeff
jwilliams is offline Find More Posts by jwilliams
Old 05-20-2014, 09:42 AM
Find More Posts by mxcop
Team Extreme/Team Horizon
Tuckerton, N.J.
Joined Mar 2006
1,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaceH View Post
Finally got mine flying... did my first slow roll circles. Nice job Extreme Flight!

Cheap advice... don't bother trying to make a modern Castle esc run a 28 pole motor.

Getting 10 minutes with 5Ah 10s batteries- plane is crazy light.
What controller did you have issues with? Most of us are using castle ESC's with the Silver Bullet with no issues.

Lee
mxcop is offline Find More Posts by mxcop
Old 05-20-2014, 10:44 AM
Find More Posts by Ryan Smith
Joined Jan 2006
1,835 Posts
Lee,

There are well-documented incompatibility issues between the 28-pole Hacker motors (Q80 to be specific) and the Castle controllers. That said, there aren't any issues that I'm aware of between the Plettenberg 30-10 EVO, which is also a 28-pole motor, and the Castle controllers. I'm not smart enough to know the "why" but I do know that it's real and that Castle is working on a solution.

My Hacker Q60-7M is also a 28-pole motor and I've not had anything but success with the setup when used in conjunction with an ICE 80 HV2.
Ryan Smith is offline Find More Posts by Ryan Smith
Old 05-22-2014, 11:24 PM
Find More Posts by mxcop
Team Extreme/Team Horizon
Tuckerton, N.J.
Joined Mar 2006
1,557 Posts
Yeah strange I haven't had any issues with the silver bullet motor, I thought that was what he was using. I have heard of some issues with the Hacker stuff but it's weird because some people like yourself don't have issues but others do with the same setups, it's beyond my knowledge level why that happens.

Lee
mxcop is offline Find More Posts by mxcop
Old 06-22-2014, 12:53 AM
Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Joined Apr 2011
19 Posts
Is is safe to run an Ice 80HV with the Himax motor? SPinning a 20.5x14
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old 06-23-2014, 10:25 AM
Find More Posts by nosram
Spring, Texas,USA
Joined Jul 2007
34 Posts
Matt,
I am using an APC 20.5*14 on my Himax FAI 210 in my Vanquish. I also have the CC 80HV.
I works fine neither the motor or ESC get too hot.

Good luck, I love mine,
Nick
nosram is offline Find More Posts by nosram
Old 08-28-2014, 09:22 AM
Find More Posts by everyseason
Joined Jul 2014
21 Posts
I bought an unopened Vanquish 2M kit. The overall fit and finish seems to be very good, except for one thing. The right horizontal stabilizer incidence adjuster has the srews backed out and is loose. My wife and I both talked to Curtis Cozier, the operations manager, at Extreme Flight, and all he said, in a nasty way, was that we could send them more money to get a replacement set, because we were not the original purchasers of the kit, and even though I sent him a picture showing that the parts had never even been removed from the bags. This was a factory defect, and even though maybe I didn't purchase it directly from Extreme Flight, somebody did purchase it from them and they received the money for it. I have seen many glowing posts about this company, but I for one will never buy another kit from them. When my wife spends a weeks pay to buy me a special birthday gift, and a plane that is supposed to be of this caliber, if it was a virgin part, you would think they would stand behind it. I will not ever get another Extreme Flight kit.
everyseason is offline Find More Posts by everyseason
Old 08-28-2014, 09:52 AM
Find More Posts by FGNewbie
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Mar 2010
6,421 Posts
isn't there some measure of assumed risk when you purchase a product indirectly - even new? Many a heli guy has discovered that their deeply discounted NIB Align helis bought on Ebay have zero support. That risk is supposed to be offset by the savings. EF has no relationship with you and owes you nothing. Other companies may treat a similar situation differently, but each is free to develop their own policies. I think you needed to bite the bullet and pay what EF was asking and maybe next time deal directly with the vendor. From what I understand, it's a pretty good flying airplane.
FGNewbie is online now Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Old 08-28-2014, 10:17 AM
Find More Posts by MaceH
DA rocks
Joined Jun 2011
1,078 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxcop View Post
What controller did you have issues with? Most of us are using castle ESC's with the Silver Bullet with no issues.

Lee

Sorry for the late response Lee.

I tried an ICE 120 HV and also an Edge120 HV. No combination of parameters would make more than half power.

The old ICE 80 HV I've gleaned is the only Castle to use with the Silver Bullet... went with a Jeti Spin Pro and has been faultless.

Funny is that I was pulling escs off of helicopters (much pain...) and have a chopper with the 80HV but as luck would have it I gave up before, uh, reworking all my Trexes. Doh!
MaceH is offline Find More Posts by MaceH
Old 08-28-2014, 10:21 AM
Find More Posts by MaceH
DA rocks
Joined Jun 2011
1,078 Posts
And fwiw, I have more than two dozen Castle escs and never seen such a thing. No lack of experience with them... but yes lack of experience with 28 pole motors.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:24 AM
Find More Posts by MaceH
DA rocks
Joined Jun 2011
1,078 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everyseason View Post
I bought an unopened Vanquish 2M kit. The overall fit and finish seems to be very good, except for one thing. The right horizontal stabilizer incidence adjuster has the srews backed out and is loose. My wife and I both talked to Curtis Cozier, the operations manager, at Extreme Flight, and all he said, in a nasty way, was that we could send them more money to get a replacement set, because we were not the original purchasers of the kit, and even though I sent him a picture showing that the parts had never even been removed from the bags. This was a factory defect, and even though maybe I didn't purchase it directly from Extreme Flight, somebody did purchase it from them and they received the money for it. I have seen many glowing posts about this company, but I for one will never buy another kit from them. When my wife spends a weeks pay to buy me a special birthday gift, and a plane that is supposed to be of this caliber, if it was a virgin part, you would think they would stand behind it. I will not ever get another Extreme Flight kit.
Any chance of providing a picture of the faulty incidence adjuster? On mine the adjustment grub screws just go into threaded holes- 3mm I think- they should be able to be drilled and rethreaded or different screws used?
Old 08-28-2014, 11:35 AM
Find More Posts by jraycut
Joined Jul 2009
744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everyseason View Post
Calm down Sally. Curtis is a stand up guy as is everyone at the company. You got a good deal off the classifieds (if you didn't you would have ordered direct from EF). If your that sour about it....sell the plane for what you got it for.
jraycut is offline Find More Posts by jraycut
Old 08-28-2014, 12:59 PM
Find More Posts by hone1er
:)
Joined Sep 2012
620 Posts
From the EF website and also in all of the manuals that come with the planes.

"Extreme Flight RC, Ltd. guarantees this kit to be free of defects in materials and workmanship for a period of 30 days from the date of purchase. All warranty claims must be accompanied by the original dated receipt. This warranty is extended to the original purchaser of the aircraft kit only."
hone1er is offline Find More Posts by hone1er
Old 08-28-2014, 01:44 PM
Find More Posts by DUR DA DUR
Tiger Moth Enthusiast
Aberdeen, MD
Joined Jan 2006
310 Posts
I do understand your frustration, but I have to agree with Curtis on this one. I don't know how he said it and i'm certainly not commenting on that, but I don't know of many companies that would replace it for free. I know car manufacturers have roll-over warranties and such, but many other businesses do not, and for many reasons. Like I said, I can't comment on how he said it to you, but I wouldn't blame them for not replacing it. My wife has also spent money we didn't really have buying me the 48" extra 300 last Christmas and Extreme Flight RC was very friendly and helpful. I even had an issue with a gap between the wing and fuse on the trailing edge. I could have sent it back, but decided to live with it (my call). I am the sales/marketing manager for a microscope company and I would have said the same thing. It really is a standard policy. Just my 2 cents.
DUR DA DUR is offline Find More Posts by DUR DA DUR

Quick Reply