logo
Old 10-08-2008, 09:27 PM
Find More Posts by baxternick
ON THE DECK
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jan 2006
509 Posts
Hacker 30 8XL VS. 30 10XL??

What is the difference between these two motors? Hacker 30 8XL VS. 30 10XL?? Will the 8Xl pull a Sebart Sukhoi 30 ok? They suggest a 10XL.
baxternick is offline Find More Posts by baxternick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 10-08-2008, 09:47 PM
Find More Posts by TManiaci
Gasser Baby
Temecula, Mexifornia
Joined Jan 2006
503 Posts
Re: Hacker 30 8XL VS. 30 10XL??

Bax,

The 10XL is the same frame with kV = 900 rpm/volt, the 8XL has a kV of 1100 rpm/volt.

Both are good choices, and I would select the A30-8XL. It will turn a bit faster, and has a higher amp capacity (5 amps). I would prop it for 40-42 amps WOT, so maybe an APC 13x6.5 would be about right. Need around 450-480 watts to make that size bird work well. Use a Wattmeter to dial it in with the right prop on 3S lipo. The Hacker is a good motor, and you can push over the spec current a bit without fear, just keep WOT runs short.
TManiaci is offline Find More Posts by TManiaci
Old 10-11-2008, 08:49 AM
Find More Posts by Altavillan
Altaville, California
Joined Apr 2007
627 Posts

I got a 850rpm GP rimfire in mine and wish it would turn faster. If I replace the Rimfire I'll get the 8XL, 1150 rpm/volt Hacker. Sebarts instruction book calls for a Hacker 10XL and a 15x7 prop. I'd be guessing the 8XL would be happy with a 14x7. I'm looking for a 14x8 Wood e-prop to get me some more speed with the Rimfire.
Another point to concider, I lost my first plane after about 10 flights when the HS 65MG servo died. My new plane has twin Futaba 3156 elevator servos, with rudder on a Futaba 3102 with pull pull cables. Now everything but rudder is redundant.
Here's Hackers site...http://www.hackerbrushless.com/

Q for Tmaniac, Some places list the Hacker 30-10XL as a 60 ampish 800 watt motor. Chief, and Other sites have it listed as a 45 ish amp motor. Do you have a reason to keep it proped to a 42 amp draw? Hacker is so conservitive with their specs. it's dificult to figure out what they require.
Altavillan is offline Find More Posts by Altavillan
Old 10-11-2008, 11:18 AM
Find More Posts by Altavillan
Altaville, California
Joined Apr 2007
627 Posts

Follow up. This am I put a couple flights on the plane. I also hooked up the watt meter. Thr 35 48 850 Rimfire pulled 38 burst and 35 constant amps and about 412 watts with the Xoar 14x7 prop. I had a Hacker a 30 12L in it for a while and it pulled 42 amps and I think 460 watts swinging a 13x7 Xoar. The 12L is much smaller, yet drew more power, yet didn't fly the plane nearly as easily as the Rimfire does. So in some convoluted way that e power is keeping some, if not all it's secrets from me; Tmaniac is right and you will be getting good performance with an amp draw around 42 amps.
Altavillan is offline Find More Posts by Altavillan
Old 10-11-2008, 12:03 PM
Find More Posts by TManiaci
Gasser Baby
Temecula, Mexifornia
Joined Jan 2006
503 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altavillan View Post
Q for Tmaniac, Some places list the Hacker 30-10XL as a 60 ampish 800 watt motor. Chief, and Other sites have it listed as a 45 ish amp motor. Do you have a reason to keep it proped to a 42 amp draw? Hacker is so conservitive with their specs. it's dificult to figure out what they require.
I like to use a rule of thumb that allows you to set up for a light build and get the most out of a quality motor. With AXi or Hacker, I multiply the Manufacturers spec amp rating by 1.2 to 1.5 for my target Burst load. I would not design that way with lesser quality motors, you may fry them. The Hacker spec for the 8XL is 35 amps, so 1.2 x 35 = 42 amps. You could push this motor to 52 amps if you were cautious, making near 650 watts, but you will need to really practice throttle control to avoid overheating, keeping WOT runs short (<10 seconds at a time, allowing a cooling period in your flight habits). Hover should be under 1/2 throttle, so you are running well below dangerous levels if you like to hang for long periods.

I am not the greatest 3d pilot (yet), so I like a ton of punch when I need to get out of trouble. This philosophy works well for me, and I generally achieve a very light build, with low wing loading and big power when you need it. Couple that with a small mAH, high-C rated Lipo, you're going to get great performance. Basically, pushing a good quality motor beyond ratings will allow you to step down a frame size with a considerable weight savings. I seem to genrally still get 10 minute flight times too, which is plenty for the average guy. IMHO, if you are getting over 12 minutes of flight time, or running a >quality< motor at or below it's max rating, you are too heavy in your build.
TManiaci is offline Find More Posts by TManiaci

Quick Reply