Old 04-15-2012, 09:00 PM
Find More Posts by Wayne
Learn how to work Kid.
Bloomington, Il
Joined Jan 2006
7,405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviti View Post
You do that with gliders too don't you? I bet your transmitter programming alone gives you an extra 50 feet on DLG.
No.
30 feet. Not 50.

I program the radio now to have my sailplanes climb when I hold the snap button down.
Wayne is offline Find More Posts by Wayne
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 04-15-2012, 09:03 PM
Find More Posts by Jerry_Hailey
IMAC Junkie
Lexington,NC
Joined Sep 2009
797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
I can't read Aresti anymore. Sorry.
No need to read Aresti. Just scan it in with the built in camera and it learns the aresti. Just assign a button to start, like the snap button.
Jerry_Hailey is offline Find More Posts by Jerry_Hailey
Old 04-15-2012, 09:19 PM
Find More Posts by aviti
St Louis, MO
Joined Jan 2006
1,468 Posts
Quote:
No.
30 feet. Not 50.

I program the radio now to have my sailplanes climb when I hold the snap button down.
I knew it!
aviti is offline Find More Posts by aviti
Old 04-15-2012, 09:23 PM
Find More Posts by Planeoho
Oquawka Illinois
Joined Jan 2006
354 Posts
Quote:
Judge,

He is right. When I flew IMAC I would program the entire sequence into my transmitter.
It took a while to program it each season but it was totally worth it.
All I had to do was hold the snap roll button and the plane would fly the sequence.

I spent hours each Saturday evening programming the Unknown for Sunday morning.

Wayne, say it isnt so Wayne.......And all this time I thought fer sure you were just that talented......please Wayne....say it aint so.....
Planeoho is offline Find More Posts by Planeoho
Old 04-15-2012, 10:03 PM
Find More Posts by Shaker
Doug Cronkhite
Joined Jan 2006
2,567 Posts
There isn't a single high-level IMAC pilot using the snap roll button. Period. There is no way you can program a momentary switch to fly through all the intricacies of a proper snap roll, especially since all control inputs change depending upon the type of snap, attitude entering the snap, attitude exiting the snap, etc.

I have NO idea why there is still a snap roll function in today's radios. It's a waste.
Shaker is offline Find More Posts by Shaker
Old 04-15-2012, 11:21 PM
Find More Posts by Badams
Work 2 days, Fly 5 days.
United States, AZ
Joined Oct 2006
1,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaker View Post
There isn't a single high-level IMAC pilot using the snap roll button. Period. There is no way you can program a momentary switch to fly through all the intricacies of a proper snap roll, especially since all control inputs change depending upon the type of snap, attitude entering the snap, attitude exiting the snap, etc.

I have NO idea why there is still a snap roll function in today's radios. It's a waste.
I know why there is a snap roll switch on modern radios...... so you can reprogram it to be an engine kill.
Badams is offline Find More Posts by Badams
Old 04-16-2012, 01:25 AM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
United States, CA, Ladera Ranch
Joined Jan 2006
12,936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bwana1 View Post
Wayne, would you please send me this years program. I am getting tired of getting beat using the old fashion way....
Wayne flys gliders now. It's where we old folks go when we lose the magic!!
Judge is offline Find More Posts by Judge
Old 04-16-2012, 01:28 AM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
Joined Jan 2006
12,936 Posts
Quote:
Old habits die hard for the programmers I guess. They still put revolution mixing and acceleration mixing in the heli menus too. Heading hold made those obsolete a long time ago, and yet they live on in almost every radio I know of.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:15 AM
Find More Posts by sherman89
Ocala Fl
Joined Feb 2007
2,988 Posts
Quote:

Shaker,
You are so correct, I do not know of anyone flying IMAC in any class that uses a snap button/switch.
sherman89 is offline Find More Posts by sherman89
Old 04-16-2012, 06:43 AM
Find More Posts by spacey
Was it supposed to do that?
Pretoria, South Africa
Joined Jun 2007
44 Posts
*sigh* Guys really? The whole world doesn't only fly IMAC. Snap/Spin switches still has a big following in fun fly competition just to mention one.

As for revolution mixing, as a side note. Still popular with scale flyers believe it or not, alot of scale guys still prefer normal rate mode in gyros..don't ask me why, that's just the way they like it.
spacey is offline Find More Posts by spacey
Old 04-16-2012, 08:07 AM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
Joined Jan 2006
12,936 Posts
Fair enough, I'll expand it to add pattern/F3A as well. I fly with about a dozen or so hardcore scale guys. None of them fly in rate mode, just my experience there.

But the point remains that the post that started this tangent was saying that pilot skill has been replaced by preprogramming radios to fly the maneuver. I still maintain that is fundamentally not true. You are not going to beat Chip Hyde, Mark Leseberg, Andrew Jesky, Christophe, Hiroki Ito or any other of the top pilots by clever programming of your radio. And they are not winning because of that either.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:43 AM
Find More Posts by SuperTrooper
Joined Feb 2012
147 Posts
Nobody nor did I say that there are no good pilots. Instead of you're preaching and mightier then thou attitude you seem to like to display maybe you should read the substance of posts and not what you want a post to say.

The fact is a lot people today rely on the preprogrammed functions in todays transmitters. Get off your high horse for a while.

I am ready for my ban now.
SuperTrooper is offline Find More Posts by SuperTrooper
Old 04-16-2012, 09:45 AM
Find More Posts by Scott Gerber
Joined Jun 2007
3,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTrooper View Post
Nobody nor did I say that there are no good pilots. Instead of you're preaching and mightier then thou attitude you seem to like to display maybe you should read the substance of posts and not what you want a post to say.

The fact is a lot people today rely on the preprogrammed functions in todays transmitters. Get off your high horse for a while.

I am ready for my ban now.
Give it a rest already....

Scott
Scott Gerber is offline Find More Posts by Scott Gerber
Old 04-17-2012, 02:09 AM
Find More Posts by spacey
Was it supposed to do that?
Pretoria, South Africa
Joined Jun 2007
44 Posts
Alright, let us then get the thread going in a positive direction shall we?

Those of us somewhat current with JR's developements will understand the idea behind the XG11 coming to the market.

When the XG8 came around the real improvements over even the 11X (which I own with DSM2 and J modules) was quite significant. Already the 11X was quite a revolution compared to old transmitters like the 9XII and the XG8 stepped it up another notch. Everything was more streamlined and additions like on the fly camber trim/setup on the sailplanes changed my world for sure, no more landing and fiddling with useless numbers, instead you simply toggle trims while flying to fine tune! Stuff like in the air elevator trim options for break conditions (Spoilers and crow mixes). Other things like stick alarms and beeps really made my day because I like to use my throttle/break stick on my gliders for a range of conditions with a slight reflex (speed) at the very top of the stick range, a dead zone to mid stick with a proportional flap to around 1/4 stick where crow starts kicking in.

Now, does the new XG11 warrant selling a current 11X? Who knows? I doubt it, especially considering there is the option of buying a DMSS module and upgrading your current 11X's software to get the telemetry functions etc which is really handy. From my understanding the only thing you will be missing out on is a lady telling you how high you actually are? So current 11X owners aren't by any means left out.

It is a little unfortunate that the American market is only now being introduced to DMSS, I love it so much I refuse to ever buy another DSM reciever. Binding is instant, speed is awesome obviously and the telemetry when properly applied is magic. For instance, using the altitude feedback to tell me when I reach a certain height on the tug up to not 'over do it', or using it to warn me when I get to around 70meters up that it's time to get into the landing. I've also applied the rx voltage read back to make sure a dodgy retract doesn't cost me a model, I could eliminate an additional battery just for the retract on a small scale sailplane. Heck even alarms warning you when you're getting too high is really handy to not find yourself in a monster thermal only to realise you're having too much fun and can't see the darned thing anymore...it happens.

Now we're yet to even touch on things like the DMSS stuff selecting signals that should recieve priority like swash servos and matched servos on giant models, there are definitely things that would aid.

Right..flame suit on...
spacey is offline Find More Posts by spacey

Quick Reply