logo
Old 02-06-2014, 07:06 PM
Find More Posts by Whymee
United States, WV, Grafton
Joined Mar 2008
98 Posts
Discussion
System Panels

I have a EQ10 & both system panels plus an ign. cutoff that I just bought from Smart-Fly.

Can the 2 system panels be mounted next to each other & not have to worry about RF? I am guessing I can & RF will not be an issue. I just want to make sure.

I realize I have to extend the wires on the panels.

Thanks in advance

Stan
Whymee is offline Find More Posts by Whymee
Last edited by Whymee; 02-06-2014 at 07:07 PM. Reason: none
Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 02-07-2014, 08:30 AM
Find More Posts by BarracudaHockey
Multi Platform Pilot
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Dec 2007
10,876 Posts
Yup, no worries
BarracudaHockey is online now Find More Posts by BarracudaHockey
Old 02-07-2014, 09:53 AM
Find More Posts by rrritchey
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Sep 2006
447 Posts
Hi,
Yes and no. It all depends on how noisy your ignition module is. The general idea is to keep all your ignition wiring as far away from any receiver/servo wiring as possible. Wires are antennas, the longer you make the wires the more they will radiate. If you have a noisy ignition module you may get more radiated noise off the charge lead because its connected to the battery and that's connected to the ignition module. As I said at the start, the best thing you can do is separate your ignition wiring from the receiver/servo wiring by as much distance as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whymee View Post
I have a EQ10 & both system panels plus an ign. cutoff that I just bought from Smart-Fly.

Can the 2 system panels be mounted next to each other & not have to worry about RF? I am guessing I can & RF will not be an issue. I just want to make sure.

I realize I have to extend the wires on the panels.

Thanks in advance

Stan
rrritchey is offline Find More Posts by rrritchey
Site Sponsor
Old 02-07-2014, 10:05 AM
Find More Posts by BarracudaHockey
Multi Platform Pilot
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Dec 2007
10,876 Posts
When in doubt, listen to him ^

BarracudaHockey is online now Find More Posts by BarracudaHockey
Old 02-07-2014, 01:18 PM
Joined Mar 2008
98 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey View Post
When in doubt, listen to him ^

Hummmmm,

I listened to him before he spoke! LOL

I put mega distance between the 2 panels.

I know about the dangers of RF leaking into the RX via the ignition. I was kinda under the assumption because of the Comp. 12, ignition cutoff & the panels this would be filtered out with the 2 panels close together.

Guess not!

Thanks for the reply!

Stan
Old 02-08-2014, 02:40 PM
Find More Posts by rrritchey
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Sep 2006
447 Posts
The Comp 12 filters the servo signal wires (white or orange) to prevent EMI from the servo signal leads and also to kill any high frequency coming back in the wire into the servo output from the receiver. We do not filter the power and ground as that takes considerable room, would add significant cost and you do not want to interrupt ground if possible. The receiver voltage regulator and decoupling capacitors will isolate the receiver from some noise but very high frequency noise will pass through any regulator. The Ignition Cutoff is designed to eliminate feedback by having an optical coupling that enables you to put the ignition wiring as far as possible from the receiver. The optical coupling prevents any back EMI to the system. The Cutoff Fiber-optic Receiver does no filtering, its an electronic switch. The whole ignition assembly, battery, Cutoff Receiver, ignition module can still be noisy. The longer the wires you have on all this assembly the more radiated noise you will get. Best thing is to keep all wires as short as possible on ignition wiring. There is no way around a good, clean wiring setup that minimizes wire lengths and keeps ignition wiring away from radio wiring. FYI, the worst way to transfer noise from one wire to another is to run them parallel. Running them at right angles minimizes cross talk. Something else to think about when figuring out where to put the wires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whymee View Post
Hummmmm,
I listened to him before he spoke! LOL
I put mega distance between the 2 panels.
I know about the dangers of RF leaking into the RX via the ignition. I was kinda under the assumption because of the Comp. 12, ignition cutoff & the panels this would be filtered out with the 2 panels close together.
Guess not!
Thanks for the reply!
Stan
rrritchey is offline Find More Posts by rrritchey
Site Sponsor
Old 02-08-2014, 02:48 PM
Joined Mar 2008
98 Posts
Thanks for the detailed response. Just what the doctor ordered!

Quick Reply