Welcome to The FlyingGiants! - please login or click this bar to join our community...

Welcome to The FlyingGiants Community! We're all about fun, and inside you'll find the greatest, friendliest, and most helpful group of people around! If this is your first time visiting, please check out site, and click here to sign up! We hope to see you soon!!

Go Back   FlyingGiants > News and Announcements > Leading Edge Homepage Article Discussions
Forgot your password? Create a new account

Old 03-09-2014, 02:19 PM   #1441
Pylon3
Gettin' Lower!

Quote: Originally Posted by terryscustom
View Post
This will work but a little messy. I use Houshold Goop even on kit build cowl rings and they never come off even on 170cc engines and huge cowls.

I split the cowl on my H9 Carden and when I cut it in half the top half of the cowl ring was only half glued in (fresh from the box). Tacked it in with thin CA, then run a bead of goop on the inside and gooder than new I actually had quite a few joints and things loose inside my plane.
Thanks, Will go back over everything and check all the glue joints. Especially since this latest de-bond.

Pylon3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 01:59 PM   #1442
Pylon3
Gettin' Lower!

Checked out all the glue joints. Other than my cowl, all is well it seems.

Old 03-10-2014, 06:14 PM   #1443
zippi
Doo It! Doo It!

I've went over my Extra pretty good but adding extra glue to the landing gear blocks, engine box, and anywhere you can reach is kind of a givin anymore. Just makes you think about what you can't get to. Quality in ARF's in the past couple years has sank to an all time low. Back in the day when we use to build kits ( before ARF's) you never had an issue with your plane falling apart in the air because it was built with real glue and you know it was solid because you built it. Quality keeps going down and the prices keep going up.
zippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:40 AM   #1444
Muttdog
Uber Contributor

I don't think the carden extra is built poorly. Also, because the wing and tail are sheeted foam there really aren't as many hidden glue joints as you may think. Saying that any kit is much better I think leaves out one huge variable. It's the builder squeezing the glue that makes the difference. I have seen MANY a kit built plane (my own included) that is much less airworthy then many ARF's. The guy I sold my extra to does absolutely zero maintenance and beats the crap out of his planes. He says the extra has held up better then any of his others
Muttdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:49 PM   #1445
Pylon3
Gettin' Lower!

Quote: Originally Posted by Muttdog
View Post
I don't think the carden extra is built poorly. Also, because the wing and tail are sheeted foam there really aren't as many hidden glue joints as you may think. Saying that any kit is much better I think leaves out one huge variable. It's the builder squeezing the glue that makes the difference. I have seen MANY a kit built plane (my own included) that is much less airworthy then many ARF's. The guy I sold my extra to does absolutely zero maintenance and beats the crap out of his planes. He says the extra has held up better then any of his others
True, I learned in the world of Formula 1 racing. You built your own planes with no instructions and just a CG point. The Extra that I received was well built except for not cleaning the mold release from the fiberglass of the cowl and roughing it up. The rest was solid. It might have just been an off day at the factory by one worker that day. Everyone is human. HH has a new one on the way and I will mount that one after checking it over well.

Old 03-11-2014, 02:19 PM   #1446
BlinkguY
Flyin' Around

Can't wait to get it going this baby
BlinkguY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 08:06 PM   #1447
zippi
Doo It! Doo It!

Quote: Originally Posted by Muttdog
View Post
Even though we all know to re-glue everything we can see we shouldn't have to. As hobbyist we have come to believe that a sub standard ARF is ok. HH sent me an extra canopy because of the warp issue and I needed it. The one that came with my plane did not fit correct around the turtle deck. For some reason all my control rods were to short. And last but not least the white lines on the cowl do not line up with the white lines on the fuse. This is the type of quality issues that I'm talking about. With all that said once I fix everything I hope it will fly as good as it looks.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:47 AM   #1448
Pylon3
Gettin' Lower!

Quote: Originally Posted by zippi
View Post
Even though we all know to re-glue everything we can see we shouldn't have to. As hobbyist we have come to believe that a sub standard ARF is ok. HH sent me an extra canopy because of the warp issue and I needed it. The one that came with my plane did not fit correct around the turtle deck. For some reason all my control rods were to short. And last but not least the white lines on the cowl do not line up with the white lines on the fuse. This is the type of quality issues that I'm talking about. With all that said once I fix everything I hope it will fly as good as it looks.
Wow, All I had to worry about was putting on the new cowl. My plane went together great. Read the Pro tip for the rudder rod and no problems. I am thinking about splitting my new cowl and making it a 2 piece. Just because getting it on and putting on my muffler were a pain last time.

Old 03-13-2014, 02:39 PM   #1449
Rusty 73
Flyin low and Smooth

Quote: Originally Posted by Pylon3
View Post
I am thinking about splitting my new cowl and making it a 2 piece. Just because getting it on and putting on my muffler were a pain last time.
If you do split the cowl take some pics and post them if you do .
Bandegraphix
Thunderbolt R/C
Rusty 73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 07:47 PM   #1450
Pylon3
Gettin' Lower!

Quote: Originally Posted by Rusty 73
View Post
If you do split the cowl take some pics and post them if you do .
Will do. I should be able to start that project in a couple of weeks. Getting my Sukhoi tuned up and ready for my first ever IMAC contest in April.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:30 PM   #1451
Rusty 73
Flyin low and Smooth

That sounds great , we still have snow but its melting very quickly . How fast its warming up I could be flying in five weeks , near Easter . Wheres the contest at Washington area ?
Bandegraphix
Thunderbolt R/C
Rusty 73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 10:31 AM   #1452
Pylon3
Gettin' Lower!

Quote: Originally Posted by Rusty 73
View Post
That sounds great , we still have snow but its melting very quickly . How fast its warming up I could be flying in five weeks , near Easter . Wheres the contest at Washington area ?
Snohomish Wa. About 20 miles north of Seattle at the Emerald City RC field. Check website for details or the IMAC site for the Northwest Region. I believe about 12 hours drive for you.

Last edited by Pylon3; 03-14-2014 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Change
Old 03-15-2014, 12:21 PM   #1453
rightflyer
Gettin' Lower!

I am having a heck of time putting in the wire for rudder hinges. Not sure if there some hinge alignment issues. Tried the drill trick, no luck.
rightflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 02:58 PM   #1454
nappyroots2182
Super Contributor

took my dad and me about half hour as a team to get rudder on. what a terrible alignment. had to trim some of the wood off the bevels to releaf the rod some. itll never come out again
nappyroots2182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 04:24 PM   #1455
zippi
Doo It! Doo It!

That's one thing that went really well on my plane. Hooked it up in my cordless drill and worked it right in. Took about 30 sec.