logo
Old 01-20-2013, 04:38 PM
Find More Posts by Truckracer
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Joined Nov 2007
7,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by canavanbob View Post
The advice given here has not been challenged. Only the attitude of "my way or the highway" has been challenged. No one knows all the facts about the OP and they do not need to know. The OP asked for advice, took that advice and factored it with his needs and came to a conclusion. Who knows, maybe that conclusion will change. I still have some 645 and 5645 servos in use on some older planes. I will not be buying them any more. In fact I will not be buying any Hitec servos any more. Just my choice.
Went back and read the whole thread. You are correct, there were not as many challenges as I thought. The OP and others were just not happy that some of the responses were less than politically correct for the modern world.

No information being exchanged about servos now so time to back out of this one.
Truckracer is offline Find More Posts by Truckracer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 01-20-2013, 05:30 PM
Find More Posts by JohnBer
Old Grouch
USA, WA, Lynden
Joined Dec 2010
1,902 Posts
10 years back i got h9 extra, great flyin plane.....heavy as hell by today's standards. 33%, 27 pounds+. they advised minumum of 80 oz servo's, 180 for (at the time) all out 3d. your servo's will work fine. just may not be all you expect.
JohnBer is offline Find More Posts by JohnBer
Old 01-20-2013, 09:52 PM
Find More Posts by Zeeb
Zeeb
United States, UT, St. George
Joined Feb 2006
5,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodewald View Post
"What I've found is that there is no such thing as a stupid question, that axiom does not hold if the same question is asked twice." Zeeb

"Like I said; have it your way and I hope you don't pursue nursing the way you have this question." Zeeb

Really?!?! Your attitude is what I'm trying to deal with not your knowledge and experience. I VALUE YOUR EXPERIENCE AND ARE VERY APPRECIATIVE OF YOUR WILLINGNESS TO SHARE. Work it out in your head Mr. Zeeb. If you've read all the postings it's evident that your wrong. Look at what the other FG guys are saying. In fact, one of the local guys at my club flies a 50cc Edge 540 and a 60cc Sundancer biplane and he uses the 645mg's. I personally don't think those are the best choice for him or for me, but my budget begs to differ. THAT'S WHY IM HERE; to gather more data and be sure of my choices. I have not made a mistake nor am I trying to dismiss anyone's reasoning. I'm sorry you feel that way. What can I do to help you?

When I'm done with school I will be a CRNA (nurse anesthetist). Consider this, while your laying in pre-op waiting your turn to go to surgery there are many questions asked and charted by the RN. Next, comes in the anesthetist asking you several of the same questions like, "what's your name?", "what's your DOB?", "can you tell me what we're operating on today?" and "are you allergic to anything?" Stop and think... why would the anesthetist ask the same damn questions when he is holding the chart with all the answers in his hand? With regards to your remarks about never ask the same question twice and you hope I don't pursue nursing the same way, are you telling me I'm wrong to be thorough? Will I be a fool not to take the first piece of advice tossed on the table?

Here's what all of this boils down to Mr Zeeb. You should be more confident in what you know. When someone else doesn't like what you have to say and they ask some one else the same question right in front of you, know that their continued questioning doesn't simultaneously say to you that you're wrong. Don't go off and try to ally other FG seasoned pilots to buffer your insecurity. Instead show me the evidence in addition to your opinion. If that isn't enough for the person asking questions then yes, you're right. It's time to cut them loose to learn from their own defiant mistakes. I'm not that guy, I want to see all the opinions. So please, don't be an old retired turd. Help the newbies don't give up on them so easily.
Don't worry, you will NOT be in an OR with me, I'll take an anesthesiologist as I did last summer when I had to go through the OR thankyou very much.

Establishing an LOC is a whole lot different than denying advice given on your model airplane. Until last summer I'd not had the experience of being on the receiving end of the services provided by the medical community. I had a TIA which the subsequent testing revealed an ASD (atrial septal defect if your memory isn't working) ,with significant right to left shunting revealed by an echocardiogram. the subsequent CT scan revealed a 5mm berry aneurysm in the Circle of Willes.

Between the TIA, the cardiac cath lab for the ASD, the radiology department for the four vessel angiogram and the surgery folks for the frontotemporal craniotomy to access and clip the berry aneurysm, I had LOTS of interactions with lots of medical folks. About 25% of the RN's I ran into were guys and of ALL the medical personel I had interactions with, there were only two ass*oles. Both were guys including the S.O.B. who gave me hydrocodone in the ICU even after I'd told him I had problems with that drug, the arrogant little pr*ck gave me a lecture instead of listening and I had a rather significant reaction to the drug. If he'd been a Paramedic he'd have been suspended if not fired for giving a patient a narcotic after being told about the patient having problems with the drug.

You sir, are in the same all knowing "damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead" mindset as that twerp in the ICU. Like others in the medical profession who were previously hidden from pulic scrutiny, with the advent of ratings systems and places like Angie's List, you will have a hard time paying for your education let alone make a living with your attitudes displayed here if carried over into your proposed profession.

I'm done, the rest of you guys have at it....
Zeeb is offline Find More Posts by Zeeb
Old 01-20-2013, 10:19 PM
Find More Posts by jamesrxx951
IMAC NC ARD
Joined Jan 2009
11,130 Posts
I helped a fellow club member maiden his 50CC AW 300. He also had the 5645's. Even on 6V the plane felt really slow to respond. He was having problems landing so he gave me the controls back. He wasnt kidding. The plane did not feel locked in at all and minor corrections seemed to take to long and caused me to over correct (used to a faster servo). I guess you can get used to the feeling of the plane with those servo's. He ended up switching them out for faster Savox servo's and he is much happier.
jamesrxx951 is online now Find More Posts by jamesrxx951
Old 01-20-2013, 10:21 PM
Find More Posts by robbinsp
United States, SD, Harrisburg
Joined Sep 2009
3,358 Posts
Wow, hot in here.
robbinsp is offline Find More Posts by robbinsp
Old 01-20-2013, 11:11 PM
Find More Posts by rodewald
United States, ID, CDA
Joined Dec 2011
83 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeb View Post
Don't worry, you will NOT be in an OR with me, I'll take an anesthesiologist as I did last summer when I had to go through the OR thankyou very much.

Establishing an LOC is a whole lot different than denying advice given on your model airplane. Until last summer I'd not had the experience of being on the receiving end of the services provided by the medical community. I had a TIA which the subsequent testing revealed an ASD (atrial septal defect if your memory isn't working) ,with significant right to left shunting revealed by an echocardiogram. the subsequent CT scan revealed a 5mm berry aneurysm in the Circle of Willes.

Between the TIA, the cardiac cath lab for the ASD, the radiology department for the four vessel angiogram and the surgery folks for the frontotemporal craniotomy to access and clip the berry aneurysm, I had LOTS of interactions with lots of medical folks. About 25% of the RN's I ran into were guys and of ALL the medical personel I had interactions with, there were only two ass*oles. Both were guys including the S.O.B. who gave me hydrocodone in the ICU even after I'd told him I had problems with that drug, the arrogant little pr*ck gave me a lecture instead of listening and I had a rather significant reaction to the drug. If he'd been a Paramedic he'd have been suspended if not fired for giving a patient a narcotic after being told about the patient having problems with the drug.

You sir, are in the same all knowing "damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead" mindset as that twerp in the ICU. Like others in the medical profession who were previously hidden from pulic scrutiny, with the advent of ratings systems and places like Angie's List, you will have a hard time paying for your education let alone make a living with your attitudes displayed here if carried over into your proposed profession.

I'm done, the rest of you guys have at it....
Wow it's hot in here for sure!!! Mr Zeeb please don't get so upset. You're gonna give yourself another aneurysm. I'm sorry you had a poor experience in the hospital. I'm glad you have your health back after such a serious ordeal. Having poor experiences with people who know more than you really sucks huh. Kinda like my experience with you on FG. The difference is in how we handle ourselves. What do I have to do to peel you back off the ceiling?
FYI - LOC stands for level of consciousness. The questions I posted in my earlier example were not an example of establishing LOC. LOC consists of usually three things, person, place, and time.

Mr. Zeeb, please stop being rude and judgmental. You don't know me from the next guy. Stop calling me names. Lets go back to the basics, treat one another the way you expect to be treated. Stop losing your temper. Seriously, you're wearing me out.

To everyone else reading this, thank you for your contributions. On the contrary if you didn't find all this entertaining I'm sorry for the time you spent reading that you will never get back.
rodewald is offline Find More Posts by rodewald
Old 01-20-2013, 11:29 PM
United States, ID, CDA
Joined Dec 2011
83 Posts
So guys, I'm going to run the 5645mg's in my ailerons and upgrade the tail servos. Ya'll convinced me Can I upgrade to the coreless analog 965mg's? In other words, is there a problem running digital and analog servos at the same time? Also, what does coreless mean and are they significantly better?
Old 01-20-2013, 11:44 PM
Old Grouch
USA, WA, Lynden
Joined Dec 2010
1,902 Posts
Quote:
So guys, I'm going to run the 5645mg's in my ailerons and upgrade the tail servos. Ya'll convinced me Can I upgrade to the coreless analog 965mg's? In other words, is there a problem running digital and analog servos at the same time? Also, what does coreless mean and are they significantly better?
only problem is if ya have a high speed receiver, some do not play nice with analog servos. outside of that.....go fly.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:07 AM
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Joined Nov 2007
7,492 Posts
Quote:
I thought I was out of this thread but thought I should respond to this post. The 965 is an OK servo but the 985 is a whole lot better and you can find them for the same price or even less than the 965 if you look around. The 985 is just the analog version of the very popular 5985 and 7985 and in my opinion are a very overlooked servo in the Hitec line. They center very well and overall their performance is quite good. The 965 offers very little performance gain over the 5645s you already have though they will center better. Check them out at the Hitec website.

http://www.hitecrcd.com/

Most every coreless motor servo Tower Hobbies sells has a basic description of how a coreless motor works.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:42 AM
United States, ID, CDA
Joined Dec 2011
83 Posts
Hey truckracer glad to have you back! Thanks for the input. Your're right the 985 is much better for torque than the 965 and the same price $59.99. Seriously thanks for pointing these out. I had in my head for a year now that I was gonna go with digital servos. It would only be another $140 to trade them all out.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:47 AM
United States, ID, CDA
Joined Dec 2011
83 Posts
Next and probably last question: the guys at b&b in Spokane WA were telling me to run the LiFe 7.4 1300 for my receiver packs in all my planes. They also said to always run two switches for redundancy. I've currently got NiMh batteries which I now know aren't great. What do ya'll think about LiFe's and dual switches?
Old 01-21-2013, 12:57 AM
Old Grouch
USA, WA, Lynden
Joined Dec 2010
1,902 Posts
lifes top out at 7.2, almost instantly drop down to 6.6v. the amperage they put out is impressive. brown outs are not a worry. they will stay close to 6.6 till almost totally dead(even under load). they are a work horse. dual switches are great, dual inputs from the switch to the rx is a great idea also. the new servos out have a ton of power......but they need power to make their power. make sure ya got a good supply. dual switches is one way. (also save yer rump if switch one dies)
if you go life, make sure you have a charger to handle them. they are their own entity.
to make it clear on the question, life and dual switches are great.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:58 AM
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Joined Nov 2007
7,492 Posts
Quote:
Hey truckracer glad to have you back! Thanks for the input. Your're right the 985 is much better for torque than the 965 and the same price $59.99. Seriously thanks for pointing these out. I had in my head for a year now that I was gonna go with digital servos. It would only be another $140 to trade them all out.
There are some very good deals to be had out there from time to time. You should be able to find the 985s for less than the $59.99. Of course if going with tower, use their coupons for additional discounts ... usually a minimum of 10% off. If wanting to stay with Hitec there are some super deals on 7985s and 7955s. Ya just gotta shop around. Hitec servos have served me well over the years.

Of late, I've been quite impressed with Savox servos and the prices are reasonable. Lots of good stuff out there including brand F and brand J, etc. Actually, too many good choices as I'm sure you are aware.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:51 PM
United States, ID, CDA
Joined Dec 2011
83 Posts
Alright guys, thanks for all your input. I talked to my local hobby shop and they agreed to return my Hitech 5645MG's (they had to special order them, they dont stock too many servos) and I'm ordering 7 Hitech 985MG analog servos.

Mr. Zeeb, thanks to you too!

Quick Reply