Welcome to The FlyingGiants! - please login or click this bar to join our community...

Welcome to The FlyingGiants Community! We're all about fun, and inside you'll find the greatest, friendliest, and most helpful group of people around! If this is your first time visiting, please check out site, and click here to sign up! We hope to see you soon!!

Go Back   FlyingGiants > News and Announcements > Leading Edge Homepage Article Discussions
Forgot your password? Create a new account

Old 05-08-2014, 09:29 AM   #736
jm_mac
Shut up....AND THROW DOWN!

FOR SALE= DA170 w/ flex headers and RE3 pipes PM me. I will be posting this in the classifieds soon.
Old 05-08-2014, 02:47 PM   #737
orthobird
Bad-ass Super Contributor!

the biggest advantage of the VS, for me, is to prevent the fuel from spitting out. I doubt it provides any increase in performance. this has been discussed in past , here, on FG. seems to be two schools of thought. SOme say no good, others like it. guess it is all personaly preference. I noticed, on my Extra, that there was fuel on the inside of the cow, which i noticed after landing, directly under the carb opening. once i put the VS, it is dry in there. but again, this is just my experience.
Old 06-19-2014, 12:12 AM   #738
crash-n-burn
Bad-ass Super Contributor!

Hey guys, question on Needle settings.

My DA170 / RE3 , 14 in headers, has exactly 1 tank of gas through it. On initial start up it would idle a bit rough and as the throttle was advanced, the engine would quit. We turned the low end needle in a bit to lean the engine, currently its at 5/8 and the idle and transition seemed better. I left the high end alone, its at 2 turns.

On the subsequent flight as I was advancing the throttle from close to idle and the motor wanted to quit. I backed off the throttle and the engine picked back up and ran ok. After that I landed.

Is this normal " Break in " behavior or is my carb incorrectly adjusted. Sorry if this is a stupid question but this is my first twin motor. BTW this 170 has all the updates from DA.

Thanks
Old 06-19-2014, 05:45 AM   #739
Badams
Work 2 days, Fly 5 days.

All of the DA 170s I have owned and tuned, with the RE3s and 14 inch headers, I started out with high needle at 1 and 7/8ths, and the low needle right between 3/4 and 1/2 turn. Each flight i would slightly (screw driver width) or less, lean the low end. To get it really clean in the middle, you have to sneak up on the correct tune. Mine ran the best when it was almost a little to lean on the low end. Once it warmed up though it was perfect. I also on the final tune when I was getting really close, would open the high end needle by the same amount i was leaning the low end needle. This motor also is a little more finicky on the fuel you run. I always run Chevron 91 octane that I buy at the same station to keep it consistent. I also gap my plugs a little wider than normal at 22 thousands. This combination of things has always worked for me, and had a great running engine with very linear throttle. I also have to mention that I always had my throttle geometry very linear ( high and low atv values within 5% of each other) I hope this helps. This motor with all of the updates is great, but does take a little extra effort to get it tuned just right. I never had to mess with the tune on mine once it was set, so it is worth the effort. Hope this helps.
Bill

Badams is offline   Reply With Quote