logo
This thread is privately moderated by ALFA, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old 09-25-2007, 03:48 AM
Find More Posts by ALFA
TAIWAN
Joined Jan 2006
43 Posts
THE HISTORY AND DEVELOPMENT OF SD-MODEL

THE HISTORY AND DEVELOPMENT OF SD-MODEL

In 2004 through a friend’s introduction, I was able to meet SD-MODEL’s owner and his business partner. After further discussion and negotiation, a final step was taken as we started the production of large-scale gasoline RC aircraft. From the beginning to now, a complete four years have gone by. Each and every one of our products have been highly credited. Among our fellow flying industry partners, we have received encouraging support, recognition and praise for our accomplishments.

The real person behind the development and design of these products, or behind the scenes so to speak, probably no one has ever heard of, because he is also just a large-scale RC aircraft hobby enthusiast. Due to a management decision at SD-MODEL, control of SD-MODEL has been handed over to a new and completely different company’s management team. This new management team’s authority also covers SD-MODEL’s future marketing and complete product development/production. Because my business methods are different and incompatible it seems as though four years of effort and creative work have been left behind. But one thing has been accomplished. The products of SD-MODEL have proven my design, production development, workforce management/training, and etc.

I am simply a person from Taiwan’s group of RC hobby enthusiasts. Because of my personal interest and hobby I established a small RC model business and later entered into partnership with SD-MODEL’s development and production. Although I have not wanted to completely loose my four years of accomplishment, I have no choice but to temporarily leave SD-MODEL, start over, replan and decide on my future direction and goal.

In the past I have wondered whether or not I should restart and establish my own production facility or give up and just be a simple RC model enthusiast again. Therefore, to my fellow friends and RC model businesses who have considered such a business, I would greatly appreciate your opinions and comments, but even more so, greatly wish for your participation in perhaps a future production facility.

I would like to thank all those who have shown their love and support from all over the world. Regarding the exact details of SD-MODEL’s future management, I am sure they will issue statements concerning this matter to their partners and clients. For that matter, I have no further comment but sincerely wish them the best.

I have included some pictures of our past products and some new products coming out.

Hsu Lung Fa (Alfa)

---------------------------------------------

rc.0nline@msa.hinet.net
alfa@rconline.com.tw
ALFA is offline Find More Posts by ALFA
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2007, 05:31 AM
Find More Posts by flying skunks
FFAA for Life
Flying with the Best of Friends
Joined May 2006
19,622 Posts
Re: THE HISTORY AND DEVELOPMENT OF SD-MODEL

I want that Big Pitts ! Good luck if you venture out on you're own.
Donnie
flying skunks is offline Find More Posts by flying skunks
Old 09-25-2007, 05:50 AM
Find More Posts by btomlinson
United States, MS, Desoto County
Joined Jan 2006
1,608 Posts

Boy... I have never seen so much drama in one company.. I hope things work out for all the parties involved. I do have some concern regarding replacement parts for the 42% SD260 im finishing.. Hopefully they wont be needed.

So whens this big Pitts 12 coming out ???

I sent you a E mail
btomlinson is offline Find More Posts by btomlinson
Last edited by btomlinson; 09-25-2007 at 06:13 AM. Reason: typo
Old 09-25-2007, 07:08 AM
Find More Posts by zivbit
Israel
Joined Jan 2006
322 Posts

So who is the new management taking over? which company has bought them?
zivbit is offline Find More Posts by zivbit
Old 09-25-2007, 07:26 AM
Find More Posts by JagerBomb
St Peters Missouri
Joined Jan 2006
1,123 Posts

I heard through the grapevine it's Thunder Tiger!
JagerBomb is offline Find More Posts by JagerBomb
Old 09-25-2007, 07:58 AM
Find More Posts by Mark Davis
Drag it in the dirt...
Katy, Texas
Joined Jan 2006
480 Posts

That's the word from TroyBuilt... Thunder Tiger is the new factory owner of SD...

At this point who cares... I've got #2 SD airframes and can't get spare parts for either...

Before everyone chimes in with "did you try so-and-so from BFE", yes, I've tried all those sources and they all appear to be a bunch of monkeys f###ing footballs...

I really like the SD airframes... Too bad their service is for crap...
Mark Davis is offline Find More Posts by Mark Davis
Old 09-25-2007, 09:35 AM
Find More Posts by Bart-Rennes
France
Joined May 2006
92 Posts

Alfa, you should sell your knowledge to some manufacture. SD Model is dead, which company will take the place ?
Bart-Rennes is offline Find More Posts by Bart-Rennes
Old 09-25-2007, 09:53 AM
Find More Posts by Rolling Thunder
Team Horizon Hobby
Glendale, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
1,855 Posts

TOC1, then Aviation models, then SD models, now Thunder Tiger? All in 4 years.
Rolling Thunder is offline Find More Posts by Rolling Thunder
Old 09-25-2007, 09:57 AM
Find More Posts by AirMcNair
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Joined Jan 2006
869 Posts

What a shame....

Why do so many of us hard working people in this hobby get screwed by larger company's? We try to bring out what we have found to be a good product for everyone to enjoy and they snatch the dreams right out from under us. Sorry just had to vent.........

Sorry to hear about your loss, I hope you keep it up! you did great work.

Chris
AirMcNair is offline Find More Posts by AirMcNair
Old 09-25-2007, 09:59 AM
Find More Posts by llamury
Louisiana
Joined Feb 2006
11 Posts

SD-Models is dead, but TOC-Xtreme is not( www.aerobaticmodels.com ). Same airframes, but quick-build features. Our HP versions are lighter and build faster.

Thunder Tiger has bought out the production capacity of the factory that makes SD-Models planes and TOC-Xtreme planes. There will be new management but same workers.

I have spoken directly to the chairman of Thunder Tiger. He has agreed to continue making TOC-Xtreme planes and replacement parts. We are negotiating price. I should have an announcement in a few days.

He also assured me that he will add workers and that I will have no more production delays.

Several people have come out of the woodwork making outlandish claims about SD-Models planes, but I would simply ask all of you one question. Who has consistently had planes in stock from this factory over the last year?

ANSWER: TOC-Xtreme/Troybuilt Models! I rest my case.
Lee
llamury is offline Find More Posts by llamury
Old 09-25-2007, 10:37 AM
Find More Posts by Mark Davis
Drag it in the dirt...
Katy, Texas
Joined Jan 2006
480 Posts

Never heard of you Lee, but I appreciate your candor...

Availability and selection of product are key in any business... Not the promise that your product "will be on the next container" for 5 months... SD/AV/TX/etc need to support their existing client base... Credibility is paramount in any business...

Now, can you get me a 40% Yak cowl and a new set of stabs for a 35% Yak in my color schemes??? If not, then you're just blowing smoke up everyone's skirt...
Mark Davis is offline Find More Posts by Mark Davis
Old 09-25-2007, 10:43 AM
Find More Posts by 50%plane
Suspended Account
North Mexico
Joined Jan 2006
21,384 Posts

Thunder Tiger?? Wow! didn't they just buy Insane Foamies also?? Looks like we have another world class RC Superpower.

50%
50%plane is offline Find More Posts by 50%plane
Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 09-25-2007, 10:44 AM
PTS
Find More Posts by PTS
PTS
ROSWELL, N.M.
Joined Jan 2006
316 Posts

It seems we all have no choice when dealing with an overseas company. For some reason they have designed their business practices for the consumer with any problems as being very difficult if not impossible to get any customer service. This reminds me of a composite company. I realize that most arfs are produced in China but my buying decision is based whether or not I can call a US number and get the right man on the phone. Another thing to really watch is where your credit card transaction is being deposited. Sorry to get off the subject a little but there are still a few Highly Reputable US companies to buy from that buy from China. Pick who you do business with wisely!

BUY IN THE USA FROM A BUSINESS THAT YOU CAN WALK IN THE FRONT DOOR IF NEED BE!!!!!
PTS is offline Find More Posts by PTS
Last edited by PTS; 09-25-2007 at 11:20 AM.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:48 AM
Find More Posts by GremlinX
Father of the Scale Furum
Chapel Hill, TN
Joined Jan 2006
4,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqued-Up View Post
Never heard of you Lee, but I appreciate your candor...

Availability and selection of product are key in any business... Not the promise that your product "will be on the next container" for 5 months... SD/AV/TX/etc need to support their existing client base... Credibility is paramount in any business...

Now, can you get me a 40% Yak cowl and a new set of stabs for a 35% Yak in my color schemes??? If not, then you're just blowing smoke up everyone's skirt...
I agree about that!
GremlinX is offline Find More Posts by GremlinX
Old 09-25-2007, 10:59 AM
Find More Posts by adrian
Israel, Tel Aviv
Joined Jan 2006
2,931 Posts

interesting - well Thunder tiger has certainly been around for a very long time - now going into big stuff - well for us the price will certainly change - as another middleman takes its cut!!!

I have had a Phone call from a factory representative telling me that current sponsorship deals will remain!!

thanks - the damn planes fly so well?????
adrian is offline Find More Posts by adrian

Quick Reply