logo
Old 04-03-2006, 11:40 AM
Find More Posts by Pro1Foam
Lakeview, AR
Joined Jan 2006
864 Posts
Lets talk AMA.......

I am not against AMA but I am having a difficult time understanding why we need AMA other than most event require it. I understand that there is a liability coverage but that is only secondary. It specifically says is there fine print that they are a secondary insurance. So what that means is they will hit your homeowners first.

Has anyone ever filed a incident with them and gotten anything? Plus I would like an option to have the "insurance" at a discount without the magazine.
Pro1Foam is offline Find More Posts by Pro1Foam
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 04-03-2006, 12:02 PM
Find More Posts by Ion01
Grad of CrazyGoNuts Univ.
Oklahoma City, OK
Joined Jan 2006
843 Posts
Re: Lets talk AMA.......

That is a good question in which I would like to know the answer to as well.
Ion01 is offline Find More Posts by Ion01
Old 04-03-2006, 12:21 PM
Find More Posts by SleepyC
USA, OH, Aurora
Joined Jan 2006
30,070 Posts

I think it covers the field in which you fly. Meaning that a field that has AMA coverage, is insured agains injury and material loses. So in turn land owners are more open to letting fields be used for flying.

But I would like a full breakdown as well.

Hmmmm.
SleepyC is offline Find More Posts by SleepyC
Old 04-03-2006, 12:38 PM
Lakeview, AR
Joined Jan 2006
864 Posts

If the field is owned by someone other than the club then the land owners insurance will be hit first before AMA takes over. The ONLY thing that I can see AMA is good for as far as the insurance is concerned is that it will cover a field that is owned by a club and not an individual. Having said that, that coverage is only needed if the pilots homeowners and AMA coverages both do not cover the incedent.......

And that want me to pay $58 a year for a Magazine that I do not read.... Hmmmmmm
Last edited by Pro1Foam; 04-03-2006 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Spell chech.. duh
Old 04-03-2006, 12:45 PM
Lakeview, AR
Joined Jan 2006
864 Posts

To me a copy of ones homeowners policy would mean more to me than a secondary insurance.

I member of our club went and check on raising homeowners policy from $500,000 to $1,000,000. The differiance.......$6/year....... Hmmmmmm
Old 04-03-2006, 12:49 PM
Find More Posts by gforce
Southeast USA
Joined Jan 2006
755 Posts

This sortta stuff is to damn confusing sometimes that,I just follow the griff and press on.
gforce is offline Find More Posts by gforce
Old 04-03-2006, 01:19 PM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
United States, CA, Ladera Ranch
Joined Jan 2006
12,936 Posts

First, AMA insurance for a site owner is PRIMARY, not secondary as it is for member coverage. It is a big selling point for most site owners and most fields would not exist if the individual clubs had to get their own coverage.

The AMA medical and liability insurance are secondary to any other coverage a member may have, and if there i no other coverage, then it is primary. AMA pays out on numerous medical and liability claims each year. There is a pdf document on the AMA site that has a summary for the past 4 years of medical claims. Liability numbers are not published, much as no other company publishes theirs (Farmer's, etc.). I do know that the biggest liability claim paid by AMA was just over 3.2 MILLION DOLLARS for an accident several years ago at Whittier Narrows (control line). I also know of several other liability claims paid out like the one involving the Warbird race in Phoenix a few years ago, etc.

But AMA is more than just insurance. AMA lobbies extensively for models with the government. EPA wanted to put emission control crap on small engines a few years ago. AMA got model engines exempted. AMA worked with the FCC to get the 50 channels we have now as well. AMA works with the FAA as well. Right now they are working to get the FAA to relax their 400 foot altitude limit (and believe me, FAA feels that 400 IS the absolute altitude limit everywhere all the time) to something more like 1000 feet.

AMA is also working with FAA and to exclude us from being covered under their proposed UAV regs.

AMA also is recognized by many other government and private organizations when you start to talk to them about flying sites, etc. Gives them something to see as a large organized body rather than just a bunch of guys playing with model airplanes.

Is AMA perfect? No, it isn’t. But is has served us well for a very long time and continues to work to make our hobby what it is today.

Another interesting situation. Out here in SOCAL a local homeowner was a little off his rocker and came after some glider guys at a slope site. They got served papers for a court appearance the next day or 2. AMA was notified and provided a local lawyer in time to answer the lawsuit. The modelers eventually prevailed and AMA shelled out a substantial amount in payment to the lawyer, no charge to the members. And this is NOT an insurance claim either!!.

For me the $58 bucks a year is way more than worth it. 2.5 mill in coverage?? Ask your homeowner’s what that would cost (and make sure you tell them what it is for).
Judge is offline Find More Posts by Judge
Old 04-03-2006, 01:55 PM
Find More Posts by SleepyC
USA, OH, Aurora
Joined Jan 2006
30,070 Posts

Nice.
Thats what I was trying to describe above regarding the flying sites.
The rest seems like things that benifit us , but we rarely hear about.
The AMA needs better PR!!
SleepyC is offline Find More Posts by SleepyC
Old 04-03-2006, 02:12 PM
Find More Posts by Biff
South Carolina
Joined Jan 2006
3,223 Posts

Another thing folks forget is AMA's ability to get some pretty good things done for us. The band we fly on had to be lobbied to get. Guys, PLEASE keep this thread civil. This is a hot button topic that can get pretty heated. An open discussion is great as long as we keep in mind how we do things here. I'm happy there is good discussion and trust it will stay that way! We hate to have to step in.
Biff is offline Find More Posts by Biff
Old 04-03-2006, 04:17 PM
Find More Posts by rnav
Napoleon Ohio
Joined Jan 2006
245 Posts

Here we go Biff.
rnav is offline Find More Posts by rnav
Old 04-03-2006, 05:06 PM
Find More Posts by Tailchaser
Joined Jan 2006
649 Posts

I look at it kinda like the NRA.....They help everyone in the hobby, from die hard 3D freaks to circle fliers and control line, anything to do with flying in our hobby. With out them we would all have an up hill battle trying to get things done, not to mention securing great flying sites, They pull alot of weight that we alone can not do...........So $54.00 a year, or what ever it is, is a small price to pay..............Lets us all enjoy flying more than sweating the small chit.

Chuck
Tailchaser is offline Find More Posts by Tailchaser
Old 04-03-2006, 05:24 PM
Find More Posts by Kiwi
Chile, Antofagasta, Antofagasta Province
Joined Jan 2006
5,983 Posts

Guys.

You know I'm not from the USA but what I have to say is relevant not just regarding the AMA, but the world over.

In Chile we have a national body. They lobbied for and got the frequencies we use locked in. We also have the 400 ft legal altitude thing but thts very hard to police anywhere.

New Zealand has the NZMAA and again if you seen the fights they go through to keep frequencies etc it would scare you to death.

The Australian scene is AAMA from memory. Again the big thing is fighting government regulations unwittingly aimed at RC. Often due to lack of knowledge. Frequencies, altitude etc.

I would be prepared to lay a $1000 bet today that if the AMA disappeared your frequencies would be wiped out in weeks by some commercial interest looking to own the band. If they did not sell it on they would charge you way more than $58 to have the priveledge of usin g it.

Its sort of like health insurance to me. You have to have it but hope to heck you never have to use it.

I'll be back at the Nall this year and yes for that week I will pay up my dues again. Just 7 days but you know what will happen if I dont pay it. Better question. What could happen???

Kiwi
Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Kiwi
Old 04-03-2006, 06:51 PM
Find More Posts by 66stang
Fly it like you hate it!
Collinsville, IL
Joined Jan 2006
4,925 Posts

Plus I think the magazene is woth the money alone!
66stang is offline Find More Posts by 66stang
Old 04-03-2006, 07:18 PM
Find More Posts by Boulder
It's official, thanks Verne...
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Jan 2006
11,247 Posts

Thank you Judge,

That was a very good explaination of just some of the positive side of AMA membership. Well said.
Boulder is offline Find More Posts by Boulder
Old 04-03-2006, 08:04 PM
Find More Posts by E-MO
Solid Bone, From The Neck Up
Joined Jan 2006
460 Posts

Kiwi,you dont pay you cant play!
E-MO is offline Find More Posts by E-MO

Quick Reply