logo
Old 01-21-2013, 08:14 PM
Find More Posts by jwilson32
United States, MO, St Louis
Joined Jun 2010
200 Posts
Discussion
Hosting an event

I'm interested in proposing to our club board members the possibility of hosting an IMAC event. We are located in the SC region near St. Louis, Mo.
I'm wanting to know the specifics of what it will take and what info I should gather to give to the board to review.
We have a certified CD who says he would be more than happy to CD the event, so that is covered. We put on a couple large fly ins each year, so hosting wouldn't be a problem. I'm just wondering about judges, facility, how many pilots to expect, should we provide food for purchase, etc. Also who to contact if we would like to be considered for hosting an event, etc.
I think we have one of the nicest facilities I've ever flown at (of course i'm a bit biast! haha) and think it would be great to host an event. Any input, suggestions and/or questions would be appreciated.

www.slrcfa.com

Thanks and take care!

Jordan
jwilson32 is offline Find More Posts by jwilson32
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 01-21-2013, 08:53 PM
Find More Posts by sweetpea
If you can't HUCK it BLING IT!
United States, OH, Lebanon
Joined Jan 2006
11,244 Posts
I've ran numerous IMAC events. These events are unique.

-You need scoring system
-You need power and a back up computer for the scoring system
-You need to know how much other local areas are charging and charge the same or slightly less
-You need to sanction the contest and make sure IMAC sends you the unknowns
-You need to organize pilot prizes, that means hitting up sponsors months and months in advance (you need sanction # for most to donate)
-You need scorekeeper and runners
-You need extra paper, pens/pencils, routines for each class, etc etc.
-You need covered shade for the judges and chairs
-You need to figure out who is juding and when (typically the pilots do this, but not always). Be prepared for people to say they can't judge for hundreds of reasons and it will throw your whole schedule in the toilet
-You need scribes.
-You need to determine if you follow all the IMAC rules or ask for waivers upfront with the sanction (like pilot/panel deduction)
-Weather backup date or plan for a reduction in flying days and what you will do
-food can be brought in or not, upto you really

There was way more work to put in for IMAC than I ever put in for a big bird fly-in. The reason is that during the event you will constatntly be running around making sure things are going good.
sweetpea is offline Find More Posts by sweetpea
Old 01-21-2013, 08:57 PM
Find More Posts by Mithrandir
TEAM FUTABA
High Desert California, USA
Joined Jan 2006
8,437 Posts
I bet the regional IMAC director could set you guys right up...

www.mini-iac.org I think... find your region.. click the link and see where it goes....
Mithrandir is offline Find More Posts by Mithrandir
Old 01-21-2013, 09:25 PM
Joined Jun 2010
200 Posts
Thanks guys! Sounds like I'm in for a commitment... I'm ready!
What is the scoring system your talking about? Is it something that must be purchased, some type of software?
Two others and myself are going to the NC judging school in March. I'm sure that will be a great place to get some info. Since I'm new to IMAC, I think it would be wise to just attend the judging school and as many events as I can this year, and start planning for an event next year...
Old 01-21-2013, 09:44 PM
Find More Posts by sweetpea
If you can't HUCK it BLING IT!
United States, OH, Lebanon
Joined Jan 2006
11,244 Posts
Look on the IMAC website Mith posted. I think its on there. It used to be SCORE or something similar.

The judging school is a good idea. I'd also say volunteer to help another club runs theirs. It will give you a good idea of what you need
sweetpea is offline Find More Posts by sweetpea
Old 01-27-2013, 04:06 PM
Find More Posts by FlyinTiger
United States, SC, Columbia
Joined Jul 2006
386 Posts
Great idea

If you can help another club run their contest it is ideal, GREAT suggestion. One thing to consider is that you need to get a CD in your club to sign on...or become a CD yourself.

These events are officially sanctioned by the AMA after the CD sends in the application.

Score keepers are not easy to find, but these dedicated individuals are like gold! Treat them well and they will take care of all the scoring for you.

Might seem obvious to some, but before you put on a contest I'd recommend attending two or three as a competitor...I'm not sure what your experience level is, but just knowing the flow of things can help a ton.

Putting on a contest is no simple feat, but there's guys that would love to help you do it, so throw your name out there and volunteer...see where that takes you...your Regional Director can point you in the right places for all the information you need.

Look on the left side bar under "Quick Links" then mouse over "CDs" for all the info you could ask for. http://www.mini-iac.com/
FlyinTiger is offline Find More Posts by FlyinTiger
Old 02-07-2013, 12:40 PM
Find More Posts by bkflyer
Virden, Ill.
Joined Jan 2006
233 Posts
I run a contest 90 miles straight North of you in Pawnee, Illinois. Our contest is July 12th and 13th this year. Come up and participate in our contest and I would be glad to fill you in on what I go through running the contest. Our contest is the Lincolnland IMAC Flyers.
bkflyer is offline Find More Posts by bkflyer
Old 02-11-2013, 12:38 AM
Joined Jun 2010
200 Posts
Deal! Thanks Bruce and I'm looking forward to the contest and meeting you.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:38 AM
Find More Posts by Bipe10300
Just Bad-ass
Mt Vernon, Indiana
Joined Apr 2006
411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilson32 View Post
Thanks guys! Sounds like I'm in for a commitment... I'm ready!
What is the scoring system your talking about? Is it something that must be purchased, some type of software?
Two others and myself are going to the NC judging school in March. I'm sure that will be a great place to get some info. Since I'm new to IMAC, I think it would be wise to just attend the judging school and as many events as I can this year, and start planning for an event next year...
Jordan I'm hosting the judging school here in MV, Gil Major SERD and Mike Karnes NCRD will both be Instructors at the school and can answer any and all Question you may have. Welcome to IMAC, Hondo
Bipe10300 is offline Find More Posts by Bipe10300

Quick Reply