logo
Old 02-09-2009, 10:48 AM
Find More Posts by TooBizzy
Georgetown Ohio
Joined Jan 2008
924 Posts
Re: yak 54 50cc

I'm assuming you have a digital camera since you have posted all those nice pictures of your Yakster. Does it have video mode? I have a 6mp Fuji that has video mode and it works extremely well. I think it does 320 x 240 which, with a gig card, can do about 15 minutes of recording. The picture quality is quite good along with good sound quality. You might check your camera and see if it has that feature.

If your JVC is digital, shouldn't it have a USB port or something to be able to transfer data to your computer? Time to get out the manual! HA....

I'll look into getting some Aluminum to strengthen the landing gear. Probably 1/4 would be about right. We'll see what I can come up with. When I get it done, I'll post some pics of it....

All our snow has melted. The last few days has yeilded 50-60° temps and the snow and ice is pretty much all gone. But the winter is not over yet. It could happen again. Anyways, I need the winter time to get my flying projects done so I can have fun when Spring/Summer arrives.

Have a good one!
TooBizzy is offline Find More Posts by TooBizzy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 02-09-2009, 05:38 PM
Find More Posts by bobrev06x
United States, NH, Canaan
Joined Oct 2006
1,939 Posts

yes i do have a digital camera and it does take video but it's a bear to use. like most of them, it's difficult to see the image on that tiny little screen out in the sun and, you cant zoom while the thing is recording so, i guess if nothing else, i can use that one. if i can find the book for the jvc, i'll work on getting that one going. that camera really shoots some nice vid so i've got to get busy and figure it out.

i think aluminum would be the ticket for the gear block. those landing gremlins wont be able to break that one off, thats for sure,. i hate those landing gremlins...you never know when they're going to show up. i had a cap 580 and was landing it one day and hit the snap switch just over the runway before i touched down. it was awesome and i'd never do that on purpose. i landed the thing and everyone clapped like i did it for them! haha! they knew better when i went to my truck for a new diaper...lol kind of a snap-a-saurus in reverse. whatever man. that plane got destroyed when i started fooling around with the flaps and it got all squirly on me and smash landed. lol. i never liked the thing anyway. it flew great but was terrible landing.

anyway, been working on my yak and she's getting close. cant wait to take it out in the garage and run it again. i ordered a 20 oz. tank and gas stopper for it so it'll be a while before it gets here. the 27 oz tank was junk (the one in the kit) so i'm trashing it. the tightening ring on the stopper stripped out on it. piece of crap. i just thought of something...i need to order a couple of spark plugs for that DL. i want to keep them fresh in there. i wonder if i can get them at the small engine shop? i'll have to look into it.

ok bro, off to find the book for the jvc. wish me luck!
bobrev06x is offline Find More Posts by bobrev06x
Old 02-09-2009, 06:31 PM
Georgetown Ohio
Joined Jan 2008
924 Posts

The Spark Plug Issue is a good one! Never even crossed my mind to get a spare. I'll research it and get back to you....Kinda funny though, I've had my weedeater for about 20 years. Can't remember ever changing the plug in it! Ha....I think my 1k + $$$ plane might get better TLC than the Weedeater!

Good luck with the JVC directions...I do know what you mean about the viewfinder on a digital camera and trying to track a plane going 100mph. The JVC will be much better.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:38 PM
Joined Oct 2006
1,939 Posts

i have that same weed whacker...lol

hey, anyway i've been researching the JVC and it turns out i need one of these ....1 x IEEE 1394 (FireWire/i.LINK) ....it's a DV cable that plugs into the camcorder and the into the usb port on the computer. sweet! i might be in business. so i found one on ebay and for buyit now 5 bucks with shipping and it's on it's way as we speak! nice! says there's an expansion slot for a memory card too but i'm still looking for that little tid bit. probably have to put my glasses on to find that one..lol. this is cool. i've had this thing for three years and am just now finding out this stuff. it's about time, dont you think? all i can say is "get ready for some sweet flying videos!" haha. see ya man
skyraider r/c plane (4 min 35 sec)
this is the quality of my sony cyber shot videos. "trash!" but it will shoot for a few minutes. works good in a pinch. haha....we're retarded! enjoy also, dont you think those wheels that came with the yak are dinky? those babies are comin off! come on now.
Last edited by bobrev06x; 02-09-2009 at 07:56 PM.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:49 AM
Find More Posts by enephel
Clinton, Ohio
Joined Feb 2007
380 Posts

That Skyraider prop was screaming! I have a similar JVC cam. It needed a 4 pin to 6 pin firewire. I went to Best Buy and they showed me where the cords were. I needed a Firewire card also. For both it was well over $50. I left and went home and checked eBay. I got the card and the cord both for $3.99.
Windows Movie Maker is easy to capture and piece clips together and it is included with XP or Vista.
enephel is offline Find More Posts by enephel
Old 02-10-2009, 05:50 AM
Joined Oct 2006
1,939 Posts

thats cool jerry. hopefully i can get this thing up and running for this coming flying season. this little camcorder is a nice piece of equipment and will be well used if i can get it figured out. i still havent located a slot for a card yet. the chord that i found fits other camcorders as well. do the cards fit multiple units too? i cant find my manual. figures, right?

that skyraider flight was pretty much nuts. don is a good pilot ..fast and low. and had everyone's attention. the prop really did have a sweet sound to it. really rippin. he flew a yak that day too. clipped the tree tops with the thing.....man, fast and furious. it was off the wall.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:25 AM
Georgetown Ohio
Joined Jan 2008
924 Posts

What Engine did your bud have in that Skyraider? Sure sounded like the Magnum 91 I have in my Twist 40. That thing screams!

I have a camcorder too. But don't know the first thing about it. It takes the small tapes like yours. Wonder if its digital? Its setting on the shelf collecting dust. All the talk about yours is making me want to get mine out and see how it works. Another Adventure!
Old 02-10-2009, 07:38 AM
Georgetown Ohio
Joined Jan 2008
924 Posts

Oh, BTW....Not to rub it in or anything. It was sunny and 62° yesterday. Guess what we did?

Ha...This is funny. A freind of mine met me at the airport. He brought a 56 size 4 stroke biplane. He started it up and we checked the rpm with a tach. It was sitting there idling and we were BS'ing about how fast it was turning the prop and what size he could possibly go to. Then all of a sudden he bumped the throttle stick and it made a bee-line for my Twist. Chopped right thru the horizontal stab and the rudder before it killed the engine! I laughed my a$$ off. For some reason it didn't humor him like it did me! Kinda made him sick....I tried to tell him I've more than got my moneys worth out of that old bird and not to sweat it. Plus a few drops of CA, a little monocoat and she'll be just like new...Its not the first scar she's got nor the last. Luckily this happened at the end of the day. She lives to fly again!
Old 02-10-2009, 05:33 PM
Joined Oct 2006
1,939 Posts

holy crap brother! you're lucky on that one. i've had a similar thing happen to me. i bought a heli on ebay just to experiment with. it was a honey bee II...pretty nice machine but i was scared of it . when that thing spooled up, i was headed for the hills! all i could see was that little pirhana coming right at me and start chewing on my face. so anyway, i had the thing sitting on the floor and debbie and i are watching tv. well i left the rx switch on and it took a hit and started heading for the ceiling ....that was so weird. i jumped up and started beating on the thing with a pillow and it finally came down. didnt hurt anything though and i dont know why. it landed pretty hard but it was on the skids so, unreal bud. what a nightmare. debbie made me get rid of it. ha...i was never going to fly it anyway. no sir. i unloaded that thing in a hurry. drove me nuts! i'll stick to my planes thank you very much. lol

so you lucky dogs went flying? boy, i'll bet it was fun. it usually is unless you get beaned by someone's plane...crap dudes...you guys be careful! haha . so i'm putting a 2.4 rx in my magic right now. just came in the mail. i like the idea of no antenna wire running down the side of the fuse or even having to deal with the wire all together. well, back to the plane. get that yak done yet? oh, and i picked up a dial indicator and magnetic stand so i can check that engine. i'll post the results. see ya.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:37 PM
Joined Oct 2006
1,939 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooBizzy View Post
What Engine did your bud have in that Skyraider? Sure sounded like the Magnum 91 I have in my Twist 40. That thing screams!

I have a camcorder too. But don't know the first thing about it. It takes the small tapes like yours. Wonder if its digital? Its setting on the shelf collecting dust. All the talk about yours is making me want to get mine out and see how it works. Another Adventure!

i think that engine was a ys90 or something similar in that skyraider. that thing ripped. he ran a 13-8 for a blade on the thing. awesome! but that video was kind of crap, dont you think? anyway, the camcorder has an outlet that says DV next to it for the firewire thing that i just got. the firewire has a usb on the other end for you computer. check yours out , it might be the same! sweet!
Old 02-10-2009, 07:59 PM
Georgetown Ohio
Joined Jan 2008
924 Posts

Well, I struck out on the Camcorder....Mine is an old Panasonic that only has RCA jacks coming out of it. Its a High Def 5 head model. Miust have got a good deal on it when they were transitioning to digital. Been too long ago to remember. I'd have to get a card for my PC to be able to transfer the data. Need to put that on the back burner for now.

Finally got to work on the Yakster today. Got the landing gear beefed up. I cut a 1/4" aluminum plate to cover the whole opening in the fuse under the gear. After I weighed it @ 7.25oz, I decided I needed to resort to plan "B"....See inclosed pics. This only added about 2oz and appears to strengthen the gear up substantually. I can grab the gear and twist it out, as in a hard landing, and it doesn't crack at the ply plate any more.

I also got my throttle servo all hooked up. I really like the throttle mod. The 3004 seems to have plenty of torque with the arm extended like that. I was aso able to change my endpoints to about 135% which gives it the most torque and resolution.

2.4 is what I'm putting in the Yakster. I love it! I decided to get 2.4 when I invested in a few expensive Heli's. 2.4 seems to be impervious to RF and thats what you need since a heli is an RF generating machine!

I awaited anxiously for the mailman to bring my Dubro Horns again today. Still a "No SHow". TH must have sent them the Scenic Route! Most of the time I get stuff from them in just two days. This time they sent my order out USPS and its been 7 days. They must know I'm off this week and I really, really need them! Somehow that always happens... Oh, well theres lots of winter left....
Last edited by TooBizzy; 02-10-2009 at 08:05 PM.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:23 AM
Find More Posts by enephel
Clinton, Ohio
Joined Feb 2007
380 Posts

The firewire card was for the PC. I had an old one with no firewire interface. I got a new PC now and it has two firewire ports. I was told I needed a firewire card instead of using a USB.

It was nice here in Ohio Sunday and Monday. I have an airplane ready to maiden but my buddies talked me into going ice fishing instead. A 65 acre lake that we fly from in the summer. Monday the ice was cold enough that there were no puddles on it. I should have taken it fishing with me. I could have called it a fish-fly.
enephel is offline Find More Posts by enephel
Old 02-11-2009, 06:39 AM
Joined Oct 2006
1,939 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by enephel View Post
The firewire card was for the PC. I had an old one with no firewire interface. I got a new PC now and it has two firewire ports. I was told I needed a firewire card instead of using a USB.

It was nice here in Ohio Sunday and Monday. I have an airplane ready to maiden but my buddies talked me into going ice fishing instead. A 65 acre lake that we fly from in the summer. Monday the ice was cold enough that there were no puddles on it. I should have taken it fishing with me. I could have called it a fish-fly.
yeah, or even "fly fishing"...lol i should be getting my firewire pretty soon and will play around with it and see if i can get things to work. what do you have for a new plane to be flown? i've been making upgrades on some of mine and repairs. god knows there's plenty of those to do with me at the controls. i've never tried float flying. probably a good thing right there my friends.

hey jeff, good job on the gear support. i think that'll hold her together for ya. hey, where the heck are your control horns anyway? they sure are taking their sweet time getting them to you. i finished putting the 2.4 rx in the magic and all controls are set up. i also added some weight to the tail. she was pretty nose heavy. the magic is a fun little plane similar to the twist i believe. lots of wing. i think wing loading is right around 14 oz. no wonder she floats so well. and on skis, you cant beat it. she's a great snow plane.

here's a pic of a little electric katana that i put together. i found the thing on ebay. it flies decent. it really needs a bit stronger motor which i have and just need to do the change over and i need to add tail weight to it as well. it weighs 17 oz. and is just a blast to toss around. no landing gear. just point the nose up and throttle it, let it go and it's outta here. surprisingly easy to fly. gotta keep it in close though as it will disappear on you in a hurry. i need a 2.4 park flier rx for this one some day soon. they're pretty reasonably priced http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXUDS7&P=ML might order one on the next shopping spree. you guys fly anything like this? it's just something different i guess. some of us in the club were fooling around with electrics for a spell. i'll never go completely to electric...too quiet!. i like the nitro engines and know i'm going to like gas. anyway guys, have a super day.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:24 AM
Georgetown Ohio
Joined Jan 2008
924 Posts

I don't know where my horns are. Guess they took the scenic route like I mentioned earlier! I checked the tracking and they've been hung up in Groveport Ohio since the 7th. Anywhere in Ohio should get here in a day.....If they don't come today, I'm calling...Somebody! HA!

Hey Bob...What do you have your throws set up on the Yakster? Low and High rates? I read where lots of guys put in up to 70% Expo on high rates. The most I've ever put in any model is 30%....But I guess with the amount of throw in high rates, you would need plenty of Expo to keep it from being too twitchy around center stick.....

Its Sunny here and about 65° already at 10:00am. Too windy to fly. Need to get out there and split some wood and work up a sweat! Need to burn off some calories thats storing up! Ha...Winters not over. I think she's charging up for round two!

Oh forgot to mention....Yes we all have little foamies we toss in the air from time to time. My son just got a big faomy that has a huge wingspan. I'll have to look up the link. The wings actually come off for transport. My favorite has been the Slick Extreme : http://www.m-a-e.com/Sub_Pages/Produ...ucts_Kits2.htm
It runs on a cd-rom motor and about a 2s 700ma pack. Runs for a minimum of 20 minutes. I've also had other foamies, but none that compare to the Slick.
Last edited by TooBizzy; 02-11-2009 at 10:29 AM.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:46 AM
Georgetown Ohio
Joined Jan 2008
924 Posts

Found the link...Its called "Big A$$ Foamie"....Ha...

http://www.shop.depronwest.com/produ...1&productId=17

The name say's it all. Its 55" and takes a 2100-2200ma lipoly to fly it. Its huge...He has it together but hasn't flown it yet. Just got it for Christmas. Nice thing about being in this hobby, there is always something to put on the wishlist!

Quick Reply