Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 06-06-2012, 08:17 PM
Find More Posts by Huckin Chuck
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Dec 2011
3,287 Posts
Mode what plane is that?

Btw I'm now a mostly passive observer. Everyone wins. Jack and arron y'all are both great pilots.

I'm just here for the bikini pix. lol kidding...
Huckin Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Huckin Chuck
Old 06-06-2012, 08:35 PM
Find More Posts by nesikachad
Crashing sucks!
Sturgis, South Dakota
Joined Jun 2007
1,042 Posts
Regarding the high speed roll. If a guy gets super anal with setup, cg, engine thrust lines, trims, etc. . .

If you get it jonny on the spot, is it possible to roll with little to no stick movements? Just curious.

C.
nesikachad is offline Find More Posts by nesikachad
Old 06-06-2012, 08:39 PM
Find More Posts by sk8rob
3D Wanna Be
Oahu, Hawaii
Joined Oct 2009
369 Posts
generally, a high speed roll is very small stick movements. I don't think you could completely eliminate all stick movements.
sk8rob is offline Find More Posts by sk8rob
Old 06-06-2012, 08:51 PM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
United States, CA, Ladera Ranch
Joined Jan 2006
12,936 Posts
The video makes it look like the tube was not seated in the rib, just butt glued to it.
Judge is offline Find More Posts by Judge
Old 06-06-2012, 09:54 PM
Find More Posts by nesikachad
Crashing sucks!
Sturgis, South Dakota
Joined Jun 2007
1,042 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8rob View Post
generally, a high speed roll is very small stick movements. I don't think you could completely eliminate all stick movements.

That said, do you guys have a particular flight mode setup? Meaning expo, rates?
nesikachad is offline Find More Posts by nesikachad
Old 06-06-2012, 10:13 PM
Find More Posts by JackRC
JR = Jack the Ripper
United States, CA, Arcadia
Joined Jul 2011
533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nesikachad View Post
That said, do you guys have a particular flight mode setup? Meaning expo, rates?
I do it with 3D mode because I used to it, but I think it's more a personal preference like RJ mention earlier.
JackRC is offline Find More Posts by JackRC
Old 06-06-2012, 10:27 PM
Find More Posts by kwboost
United States, LA, Metairie
Joined May 2006
458 Posts
I have a rate for it. Same elevator and rudder throws I use in 3d rate, but a little less throw on the ailerons. I was burning up the aileron servos before, this seemed to help a lot.
kwboost is offline Find More Posts by kwboost
Old 06-06-2012, 11:11 PM
Find More Posts by BOSSIER_ROB
Still Draggin' 'Em
United States, LA, Bossier City
Joined Mar 2007
6,809 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwboost View Post
I have a rate for it. Same elevator and rudder throws I use in 3d rate, but a little less throw on the ailerons. I was burning up the aileron servos before, this seemed to help a lot.
If you're burning up servos, you need more torque. I used full 3D rates with 60% expo. Not much stick movement to keep it straight and level.
BOSSIER_ROB is offline Find More Posts by BOSSIER_ROB
Old 06-07-2012, 12:27 PM
Find More Posts by dumbthumbs53
United States, OR, Albany
Joined Dec 2009
175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM View Post
it just doesn't add up... WOT, low, sealed surface... that puppy should slide like crazy, at the very least some part of the plane should want to overtake the front of the plane. I hosed my own 72 on a sealed surface, and there was a lot of slidage, this is what happens at speed, but it really doesn't show in the photos. your 74 didn't budge an inch. maybe you're the victim of a 100% freak accident (getting both wings (that were reinforced with extra glue to all areas accessible) off in an axial roll), with a 100% freak impact (no sliding from a WOT run at only 20 feet up)... it may happen, but at face value it doesn't add up is all I'm saying.

And I'm not saying you plowed the plane in on purpose... but there's a huge list of things that one can imagine to have happened... a dumb thumb, electronics/engine failure, all kinds of things that usually cause a lawn dart...

...in my opinion, it's not adding up.
Damn!! CSI: FG

But I'd tend to agree with you. That fuse carried 50+ feet with no wings and then came to a dead stop the instant it hit the asphalt. Short of the missing wings, that's the type of damage and debris pattern I'd expect to see from a plane falling vertically.
dumbthumbs53 is offline Find More Posts by dumbthumbs53
Old 06-07-2012, 12:40 PM
Find More Posts by reyn3545
United States, FL, Mulberry
Joined Oct 2006
10,499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbthumbs53 View Post

reyn3545 is offline Find More Posts by reyn3545
Old 06-07-2012, 01:13 PM
Find More Posts by JackRC
JR = Jack the Ripper
United States, CA, Arcadia
Joined Jul 2011
533 Posts
As I mention earlier, the plane lost both wings and do a fish-out-of-water and then dive into the water like a bomb. Kaboom.

Both wings float in the air and get carry over by cross wind and get closer to the pit.

Case solved, let's get back to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbthumbs53 View Post

But I'd tend to agree with you. That fuse carried 50+ feet with no wings and then came to a dead stop the instant it hit the asphalt. Short of the missing wings, that's the type of damage and debris pattern I'd expect to see from a plane falling vertically.
JackRC is offline Find More Posts by JackRC
Last edited by JackRC; 06-07-2012 at 04:42 PM.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:25 PM
Find More Posts by YakItUp
Joined Oct 2012
20 Posts
Definitely sounds like blowback. What servos u have? What size plane?
YakItUp is offline Find More Posts by YakItUp
Old 11-10-2012, 09:30 PM
Find More Posts by Unmanned
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2012
1,031 Posts
I've ripped the wings off of 4 planes in flight. Two big bipes and a pair of 35% monos. High speed and low speed. Not once did any of them make a 90* from the horizontal to the vertical prior to impact. Not once did any of them pile straight in.

The photo evidence the crash artist provided would fail any NTSB investigation for a horizontal failure mode occurrance. I'm not a big fan of 3DHS, I've seen a lot better, but I have troubles with evidence that does not fit the story. It does nicely fit a full power blender event that ripped the wings off in flight though. Just sayin'...

Someone mentioned our kits not having disclaimers referencing maximum flight loads. I'm sorry to read that common sense seems to have fled the moment a plane sale was made. Everything has a stress limit, and everyone is responsible to show some level of restraint. If a full scale would not stand the loads we impose on our models, and they definately will not, what makes us think our models have no limits? They do and it's up to each of us to fly the stuff inside those limits. If we start demanding that kit manufcatuers provide maximum flight load info we had best be prepared to spend a lot more money for the products and recognize we will all have to fly with flight data systems that log speeds, AoA, surface deflection, and G-loads for every flight that cannot be tampered with. We can understand why a manufacturer would insist on having that information before making a decision on a warranty claim.
Unmanned is offline Find More Posts by Unmanned
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)

Quick Reply