logo
Old 05-07-2008, 04:59 PM
Find More Posts by phippsj
Shut up and Fly!
Texas
Joined Jan 2006
1,190 Posts
Smart-Fly Eq6 and 2.4 GHz receivers.

I’m installing a Smart-Fly Eq6 power system in a 2.6 meter 100cc gas powered plane. This is the first power system/expander I have used in a plane. I have been flying the Xtreme Power Systems 2.4 GHz receiver in my other planes without any problems for over a year now. However, when I asked XPS if their 10 channel receiver was compatible with the Eq6, they responded with this warning:
There have been some problems reported to us with the Smart-Fly units.
After you install the setup, remove any of the white leads that plug
into the receiver's signal pin and see if any of the servos start moving on their own. This problem has been reported by several customers. If you have every input being used, it doesn't seem to be a problem, but if you are not using all of the channels, it is a problem.”

This concerns me, since I will have over $5K in this new plane and will not be using every channel on the XPS receiver. I have ordered a Futaba T10C 2.4 GHz transmitter and a Futaba R6014FS 14-Channel 2.4GHZ FASST receiver. I have asked Smart-Fly the same question regarding compatibility with the Eq6.

Is anyone flying a 2.4 GHz receiver with the Eq6 power system? If so, have you experienced any compatibility issues or received warnings from the manufacturers?
phippsj is offline Find More Posts by phippsj
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 05-07-2008, 10:12 PM
Find More Posts by Panzlflyer
Joined Dec 2006
396 Posts
Re: Smart-Fly Eq6 and 2.4 GHz receivers.

Dont plug the power wires into the recievers batt port or the bind port on the Spectrum units, just use a spare channel to power up the reciever...according to Smart Fly it may put some recievers into DSC mode or unbind the Spectrums, this is from the Smart Fly forum
Panzlflyer is offline Find More Posts by Panzlflyer
Old 05-07-2008, 11:34 PM
Find More Posts by Rolling Thunder
Team Horizon Hobby
Glendale, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
1,855 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phippsj View Post
I’m installing a Smart-Fly Eq6 power system in a 2.6 meter 100cc gas powered plane. This is the first power system/expander I have used in a plane. I have been flying the Xtreme Power Systems 2.4 GHz receiver in my other planes without any problems for over a year now. However, when I asked XPS if their 10 channel receiver was compatible with the Eq6, they responded with this warning:
There have been some problems reported to us with the Smart-Fly units.
After you install the setup, remove any of the white leads that plug
into the receiver's signal pin and see if any of the servos start moving on their own. This problem has been reported by several customers. If you have every input being used, it doesn't seem to be a problem, but if you are not using all of the channels, it is a problem.”

This concerns me, since I will have over $5K in this new plane and will not be using every channel on the XPS receiver. I have ordered a Futaba T10C 2.4 GHz transmitter and a Futaba R6014FS 14-Channel 2.4GHZ FASST receiver. I have asked Smart-Fly the same question regarding compatibility with the Eq6.

Is anyone flying a 2.4 GHz receiver with the Eq6 power system? If so, have you experienced any compatibility issues or received warnings from the manufacturers?
Why would you plug a servo into a channel that is not being operated??

All of the prototype flying on this unit was done with Spektrum AR 7000 and AR 9000 recievers. I have also setup 2 jets with Fasst. No problems with anything.
Rolling Thunder is offline Find More Posts by Rolling Thunder
Old 05-08-2008, 01:55 AM
Find More Posts by bgold
United States, AZ, Sun City
Joined Apr 2007
1,242 Posts

I think the problem might be with the XPS, the Futaba Fasst works perfect with the Smart-fly EQ
bgold is offline Find More Posts by bgold
Old 05-08-2008, 07:54 AM
Find More Posts by tkilwein
DENVER
Joined Jul 2006
306 Posts

I have the smart fly eq pro 14 and 5014 / 6014,617 fasst RX's and they all work fine.
tkilwein is offline Find More Posts by tkilwein
Old 05-08-2008, 11:25 AM
Shut up and Fly!
Texas
Joined Jan 2006
1,190 Posts

Yes, and as soon as I placed an order for a new T10C w/ 14 channel receiver, I saw the thread about overheating/lockout issues with the R6014FS receivers.

I'm going to hook up all the servos and power system with the XPS receiver on the bench and test to see if there is any unintended servo movements. If there is none, then I'll put the Eq6 and XPS receiver in a back-up plane. If that one starts twiching and goes down, then I won't be totally upset, and I'll have my answer.

XPS has worked flawlessly for me so far, but I started asking a lot of questions when it came time to plug it into this Eq6.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:30 PM
Find More Posts by Carlos Vargas
Mexico Aerobatic team
Mexico
Joined Jan 2006
221 Posts

i have been using ar7000 receiver with eq6 system and it works awesome
Carlos Vargas is offline Find More Posts by Carlos Vargas
Old 05-13-2008, 09:57 AM
Shut up and Fly!
Texas
Joined Jan 2006
1,190 Posts

OK. Anyone flying the Eq6 with a JR R921 receiver (or Spektrum AR9100)?
Old 05-13-2008, 10:52 AM
Joined Dec 2006
396 Posts

Quote:
OK. Anyone flying the Eq6 with a JR R921 receiver (or Spektrum AR9100)?
Why??
The 9100 is more than adequate by itself, Ive got 2 35% setup that way, no matchboxes or other stuff to figure out.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:00 AM
Shut up and Fly!
Texas
Joined Jan 2006
1,190 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzlflyer View Post
Why??
The 9100 is more than adequate by itself, Ive got 2 35% setup that way, no matchboxes or other stuff to figure out.
Because it incorporates voltage regulation for two receiver batteries, filtering and optical ignition cut-off into one board. It also has Deans Ultra plugs for the batts and uses only one failsafe pin flag switch to arm the board, and is specifically made for Li-Ion batts and 2.4 rx's.

The question was: Is anyone flying the Smart-Fly Eq6 with a JR R921 or AR9000?
Old 05-13-2008, 02:39 PM
Joined Dec 2006
396 Posts

I was commenting on the 9100 ( which you asked about)...which is hard to put on a PE as it has its own needs for power.
I tried the 921/ 9000 with a PE but didnt like the way it blocked the main antenna without makin some sort of scaffolding to make it clear the pboard.
Old 05-13-2008, 05:44 PM
Find More Posts by Rolling Thunder
Team Horizon Hobby
Glendale, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
1,855 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phippsj View Post
Because it incorporates voltage regulation for two receiver batteries, filtering and optical ignition cut-off into one board. It also has Deans Ultra plugs for the batts and uses only one failsafe pin flag switch to arm the board, and is specifically made for Li-Ion batts and 2.4 rx's.

The question was: Is anyone flying the Smart-Fly Eq6 with a JR R921 or AR9000?
If you read the post I made above you will see that I did the test flying of this unit with the AR 9000.
Rolling Thunder is offline Find More Posts by Rolling Thunder
Old 05-13-2008, 09:00 PM
Find More Posts by king160woody
3D low n' slow!!
United States, AZ, Avondale
Joined Jan 2006
917 Posts

Smart-Fly has a mount spoecialy designed for the 2.4 system, Just ask for it. If you have questions on this EQ-6 and the 921 call Bob at Smart-Fly Phippsj. Smart-Fly has excelent customer service and will get you through any problems and questions you might have/
king160woody is offline Find More Posts by king160woody
Old 10-28-2008, 03:33 PM
Find More Posts by rdsbira
Flyin' Around
Joined May 2008
1 Posts

I'm also have the same setup (Eq6 with a Spektrum AR9000) and I have no idea how to connect this receiver on EQ6. Does anyone has a tutorial, pictures or diagram with exactly this setup... anything besides what is already available at smat-fly website...
thanks
Ricardo
rdsbira is offline Find More Posts by rdsbira
Old 10-28-2008, 04:37 PM
Find More Posts by smokin
clinton, ia. usa
Joined Oct 2007
5,199 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsbira View Post
I'm also have the same setup (Eq6 with a Spektrum AR9000) and I have no idea how to connect this receiver on EQ6. Does anyone has a tutorial, pictures or diagram with exactly this setup... anything besides what is already available at smat-fly website...
thanks
Ricardo

smartfly sells a plastic mount for the 2.4 rx's to be lifted away from the surface of the expanders. they are like $6! they are basically a piece of thick plasic with a 55 degree bend upward that the rx gets stuck to. they work perfectly.

call smartfly and they will gladly walk you through any question/answer session you need. those guys are awesome!!!!!
smokin is offline Find More Posts by smokin

Quick Reply