logo
Old 03-24-2011, 12:55 PM
Find More Posts by ericb
Team WTFO
USA, SD, Worthing
Joined Mar 2006
9,612 Posts
Shouldn't be any worse than any other prop.
ericb is offline Find More Posts by ericb
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 03-24-2011, 01:02 PM
Find More Posts by Wojcigitty
THROTTLEMELON
Fremont, NH
Joined Aug 2006
1,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericb View Post
Shouldn't be any worse than any other prop.
Agreed. The shape might be a little scary but you should never have ANYTHING enter the prop arc, no matter what prop it is or on what model.
Wojcigitty is offline Find More Posts by Wojcigitty
Old 03-24-2011, 01:40 PM
Find More Posts by David H
Flyin' Around
Joined Nov 2008
4 Posts
The shape has been tried before in models going back to the late 60's. NASA has done extensive research on swept blade designs. In model applications I have not seen "measurable" performance improvements over a standard well designed prop. I hope this time around there is a measurable performance increase in one or more aspects.

In my experience props with a swept blade shape can inflict more damage when they strike your hand/fingers. It has happened to me in the past. The blades strike at a glancing sweeping angle resulting in a slicing action. Compared to a more blunt strike from a 90 degree fixed blade. Be careful not to get your fingers hung on the tailing edge of the prop which tends to hook your fingers and hold them on the prop. I found it takes a different style to swing swept blade props safely and "always" wear a very protective glove that can not be sliced through by the prop starting or in a backfire situation.

Just my experiences with previous curved leading edge props. Be safe and have fun.
David H is offline Find More Posts by David H
Old 03-24-2011, 01:40 PM
Find More Posts by Extra nuts
Extra Extras, I'm all about it
United States, UT, St George
Joined Apr 2007
2,537 Posts
Looks good for mowing down the weeds and overbrush.
Extra nuts is offline Find More Posts by Extra nuts
Old 03-24-2011, 01:48 PM
Find More Posts by yang moua
fresno, california
Joined Aug 2008
153 Posts
i want to hear the sound of it plus
yang moua is offline Find More Posts by yang moua
Old 03-24-2011, 02:03 PM
Find More Posts by Pistolera
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2006
4,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David H View Post
In my experience props with a swept blade shape can inflict more damage when they strike your hand/fingers. It has happened to me in the past. The blades strike at a glancing sweeping angle resulting in a slicing action. Compared to a more blunt strike from a 90 degree fixed blade. Be careful not to get your fingers hung on the tailing edge of the prop which tends to hook your fingers and hold them on the prop. I found it takes a different style to swing swept blade props safely and "always" wear a very protective glove that can not be sliced through by the prop starting or in a backfire situation.

Just my experiences with previous curved leading edge props. Be safe and have fun.
The forward sweep of this design would tend to allow your hand to slide off the blade easier when propping it, not the other way around. Will definitely be interesting to see how these things work in the real world.

Earle
Pistolera is offline Find More Posts by Pistolera
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 03-24-2011, 02:37 PM
Find More Posts by 3Dillon
~GLIDERS~
Titusville Florida
Joined Oct 2010
529 Posts
O YEAHH looking forward to this one!
3Dillon is offline Find More Posts by 3Dillon
Old 03-24-2011, 02:49 PM
Find More Posts by ULTIMATE1
Canada, BC, Courtenay
Joined Sep 2006
1,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David H View Post
The shape has been tried before in models going back to the late 60's. NASA has done extensive research on swept blade designs. In model applications I have not seen "measurable" performance improvements over a standard well designed prop. I hope this time around there is a measurable performance increase in one or more aspects.

I don't think you quite get it the prop is the opposite of a tradional swept blade the blade sweeps into the direction of roration not back from the direction of rotation and without todays modern materials I don't believe this could have been accomplished!
ULTIMATE1 is offline Find More Posts by ULTIMATE1
Old 03-24-2011, 03:21 PM
Find More Posts by Mithrandir
TEAM FUTABA
High Desert California, USA
Joined Jan 2006
8,437 Posts
Was the designer trying to promote spanwise flow TOWARDS the root of the prop??
Mithrandir is offline Find More Posts by Mithrandir
Old 03-24-2011, 03:22 PM
Find More Posts by Chris Todd
Suspended Account
United States
Joined Dec 2007
1,508 Posts
Will there be any video and data released relating to this prop?
Chris Todd is offline Find More Posts by Chris Todd
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 03-24-2011, 04:01 PM
Find More Posts by SmokinKat
Fly it like it's STOL'n
Oceanside California
Joined Jan 2006
891 Posts
I am wondering two things:

1) Could this basic design concept be used on heli's for the main rotor blades or mabe just tail rotor blades?

2) How long before the guys in China copy the design and come out with their own version?
SmokinKat is offline Find More Posts by SmokinKat
Old 03-24-2011, 04:08 PM
Find More Posts by ae4nr
Boomer NC Wilkes county
Joined Nov 2008
242 Posts
Interesting concept looking forward to more reviews soon as they are available count on my order
ae4nr is offline Find More Posts by ae4nr
Old 03-24-2011, 05:01 PM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
United States, CA, Ladera Ranch
Joined Jan 2006
12,936 Posts
DO a Google search on "forward swept propellers" and you'll get a bunch of hits. Lots of technical papers out there. I wonder why if this design is so radical and efficient it has not been picked up by full scale? There certainly has been a good deal of research done.
Judge is offline Find More Posts by Judge
Old 03-24-2011, 05:06 PM
Find More Posts by basman
Joined Mar 2008
348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkoch713 View Post
This might come in handy....or fingy... Depends on how you look at things..
YouTube - Smarter Starter
Stands to reason Pattern Fliers
basman is offline Find More Posts by basman
Old 03-24-2011, 05:14 PM
Find More Posts by Mithrandir
TEAM FUTABA
High Desert California, USA
Joined Jan 2006
8,437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
DO a Google search on "forward swept propellers" and you'll get a bunch of hits. Lots of technical papers out there. I wonder why if this design is so radical and efficient it has not been picked up by full scale? There certainly has been a good deal of research done.

Because most full size props are Constant speed.... (or variable pitch).... this design blade would likely require huge counterbalances to be "Twist Neutral"... but a bigger issue is that it is structurally divergent... increased bending results in increased AOA.. thus tending to bend more, twist more, bend more, twist more, bend more.......... not a flutter friendly environment....

possibly with clever fiber directions, the twist can be made benign ...... hmmmm???
Mithrandir is offline Find More Posts by Mithrandir

Quick Reply