logo
Old 07-21-2009, 08:43 PM
Find More Posts by Salmon
Dayton OH
Joined Jun 2006
668 Posts
85cc Raven - video

Forrest and I got the new EG Aircraft 85cc Raven flying this weekend over at Greg Poppel's home field - the TORKS club. Thanks to Greg and all the TORKS members for an awesome event and good ole FG hospitality!

The Raven goes together really quick like the other EG and OMP giant scale planes. This one however is really light and shorter coupled than the typical 100cc plane. With massive control surfaces and strong servos, you can see it is an insane tumbling machine. Fantastic 3D and zero coupling when balanced nuetral. Check out the video here:

https://www.flyinggiants.com/gallery...29&ppuser=8087
Salmon is offline Find More Posts by Salmon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 07-22-2009, 01:36 AM
Find More Posts by MODE 1
Joined Jul 2008
4,715 Posts
Re: 85cc Raven - video

Great video. I've had my eye on one of these for a while but never wanted to commit in case it turned out to be a dud. Some impressive moves in that routine on several occasions it looked like it handled like a giant sized foamy. Looks to be a lot of fun.

I'm curious about something though, maybe you could take a guess at it if you don't have any first hand experience. What do you think the difference, if any would be in flight performance if the same model was flown using a DA 85? Not trying to start a brand war or anything like that. Would just be interested in any differences you think would show up between the two engines. i.e vertical pull out etc.
MODE 1 is offline Find More Posts by MODE 1
Old 07-22-2009, 04:20 AM
Find More Posts by Patrick H
Hovering
200k from home
Joined Jan 2007
977 Posts

Nice, I like Ravens.
Patrick H is offline Find More Posts by Patrick H
Old 07-22-2009, 06:35 AM
Find More Posts by BubbaGump
Heli and Plank Hucker
Beavercreek, Oh United States
Joined Mar 2006
333 Posts

The little time I have on the plane I must say this plane is a 3d monster. The motor is a strong motor, we have a pitts muffler on it right now but going to put a Budweiser can in it I think. John has a can on his 85 that is in the prototype extra and has incredible power.

Forrest.
BubbaGump is offline Find More Posts by BubbaGump
Old 07-22-2009, 06:55 AM
Dayton OH
Joined Jun 2006
668 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyte View Post
Great video. I've had my eye on one of these for a while but never wanted to commit in case it turned out to be a dud. Some impressive moves in that routine on several occasions it looked like it handled like a giant sized foamy. Looks to be a lot of fun.

I'm curious about something though, maybe you could take a guess at it if you don't have any first hand experience. What do you think the difference, if any would be in flight performance if the same model was flown using a DA 85? Not trying to start a brand war or anything like that. Would just be interested in any differences you think would show up between the two engines. i.e vertical pull out etc.
The Raven seems to built plenty strong for sure. Some of the violent tumbles Forrest was doing made everyone watching cringe! I think the performance with a DA85 would be just as impressive if not more. The DA 85s certainly have a great reputation. They were not available when I absoultely had to have an 85 last fall!
Old 07-22-2009, 09:15 AM
Find More Posts by Kitman
Flying, Friends & Food
United States, OH, Hilliard
Joined Jan 2006
4,217 Posts

Mike, what an off the hook plane! Didnlt hurt having Forrest at the controls. He proved to me the structural integrity of your planes! Thats why I have a Raven just about finished with a DA 85!

Thanks for comming by and fly with us.
Kitman is offline Find More Posts by Kitman
Old 07-22-2009, 09:23 AM
Dayton OH
Joined Jun 2006
668 Posts

Even despite the short rainfall, it was a great event Greg! You've got an amazing setup there at the TORKS field.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:15 AM
Find More Posts by plowboy
Balsa Farmer
United States, TX, Belton
Joined Jun 2008
2,644 Posts

Great video! Thanks for posting it. That Raven looks incredible.
plowboy is offline Find More Posts by plowboy
Old 07-22-2009, 12:27 PM
Find More Posts by gotsky
Castaic, CA USA
Joined Nov 2008
128 Posts

I loved my Raven. I flew it about 10 times and then switched over to a new series of radio from a major brand radio manufacturer (upgraded). The plane was lost on the first flight with that radio about 1 min in, total lock out. The radio was sent back to Japan where some abnormalities were found with it. Still waiting on the out come of the whole thing. All I can say is that these are very sweet flying planes.
gotsky is offline Find More Posts by gotsky
Old 07-22-2009, 12:49 PM
Dayton OH
Joined Jun 2006
668 Posts

Ouch! Sorry to hear about the radio problem and loss of Raven. Hope it all works out for you.
Old 07-22-2009, 01:03 PM
Find More Posts by gotsky
Castaic, CA USA
Joined Nov 2008
128 Posts

I want another one, but because it was lost/locked out from about 150' up there is not much left of my motor and other key parts.
gotsky is offline Find More Posts by gotsky
Old 08-03-2009, 12:35 PM
Find More Posts by Sukhoikid
Team Futaba
Joined Jan 2006
11,594 Posts

That is a sweet flying bird Mike.
Sukhoikid is offline Find More Posts by Sukhoikid
Old 08-03-2009, 05:11 PM
Find More Posts by bluelevel
United States, FL, Fort Myers
Joined May 2008
234 Posts

I already have the OMP 100cc Yak 55 but plan to add another bird to my hangar, which should like 3D more than the Yak. I am uncertain what the differences in flying characteristics are between the Raven and the Extra 260? Did anybody have the chance to fly both birds and tell me a bit more?

Thomas
bluelevel is offline Find More Posts by bluelevel
Old 08-05-2009, 08:14 PM
Dayton OH
Joined Jun 2006
668 Posts

Thomas, I have not flown the EG Extra 260 but from the looks of them side by side they are similar in size...both 85cc models and similar length, wingspan ect. The Raven is "shorter coupled" than say the 100cc Yak Or Extra 300 and thus is a tumbling KING! Evident from the video of course and anyone wathing it fly. I can tell you the first time I flew the Raven I felt like I had one of my profile fun flys in my hands. It was just that responsive!
Old 08-11-2009, 07:52 AM
Find More Posts by lill will
United States, MD, Newburg
Joined May 2008
255 Posts

hay do you guys know what the wait time is on this bird would like to order one when i get back in country but will only have 3 months off, then back off again
lill will is offline Find More Posts by lill will

Quick Reply