logo
Reply
Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2014, 09:53 PM
Flyin' Around
United States, MN
Joined Oct 2013
45 Posts

Jahatton

The youtube link didn't work. I was thinking you had a quad you wanted us to see.
Please get it working.
Oldhelidog is offline Find More Posts by Oldhelidog
Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:58 PM
Flyin' Around
United States, MN
Joined Oct 2013
45 Posts

Here is a shaky windy video of my maiden flight last Saturday. I had my 12 year old son doing the video so it wasn't someone I had to pay, and you can tell,, LOL.
I have two more gallons to run out and then I can mix the good stuff and lean her out and see what this bird will do. It's going to be a blast.

Oldhelidog is offline Find More Posts by Oldhelidog
Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 01:26 AM
Bad-ass Super Contributor!
jahatton's Avatar
Hope, British Columbia
Joined Sep 2007
502 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhelidog View Post
Jahatton

The youtube link didn't work. I was thinking you had a quad you wanted us to see.
Please get it working.
Sorry about that. Look up on Youtube: Osprey Quadcopter Test Flight
jahatton is offline Find More Posts by jahatton
Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 05:30 AM
Uber Contributor
Dubai, UAE
Joined Dec 2009
870 Posts

"P.S
One last modification. I like a fine tuned engine when ever I fly (who doesn't ) and depending on the day and the temp I have never been one to set it and leave it. I adjust the carb for the condition but it's a pain in the butt to take the prop and cowl off every time to do this.
So I am making a guide for the screw driver made out of hard wood and two pieces of brass tubing. The tubing will fit over the carb adjustment screws and spring and run just short of the engine cowling. Pop two small holes in the cowl and there you have it , no more pulling props and cowling, just drop the screw driver into the guide and adjust away without having it slip off of the set screw.
It will work out great on my setup because the screws run vertical on my carb."


Helidog, rather than using brass tubings which might vibrate on the screws why don't you use plastic drinking straws? Bring them out of the cowl, a drop of super glue and then cut them flush.
RCToon is offline Find More Posts by RCToon
Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 07:43 AM
Flyin' Around
United States, MN
Joined Oct 2013
45 Posts

Rctoon
No need to worry, the way my engine is mounted to the firewall the guide tubes are mounted to the firewall as well. The only way the tubing will rub is if my engine bolts loosen and then I will have larger problems.
Also, you don't want to run your tubing all the way through the cowling, nor do you want to glue anything to the cowling so you would want them just under the cowling so there is no issues with vibration. As tight as the cowling is mounted to the fusalage there is still a lot of movement caused by vibration causing undesirable issues.


It would also make it a little tricky to get my cowling on and over the guide tubes if they are sticking threw the cowling.
With my setup the cowling has to go straight on because I have internal air ducting for engine cooling that makes it tricky. I can go down a little but not up with my cowling.
Oldhelidog is offline Find More Posts by Oldhelidog
Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:20 AM
Uber Contributor
Dubai, UAE
Joined Dec 2009
870 Posts

Got it.


When using plastic straws removing the cowling is not difficult as the straws are flexible. Just pull the cowl out and the straws will flex and while installing you can simple reach into the cowl and slip the straws over the tuning screws.
But it does not have the bling effect, which is also important :-)
RCToon is offline Find More Posts by RCToon
Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 08:38 PM
Bad-ass Super Contributor!
jahatton's Avatar
Hope, British Columbia
Joined Sep 2007
502 Posts

Hey guys, brought my SB down from it's nesting place and gave it a wash. Then tried to get the engine to start.... been so long since the last time I finely clued in when I noticed my tach not on. Remembered I had a kill switch somewhere. Quickly found it and the engine started right away.
Will be taking it out sometime soon. Got a new radio yesterday and will have to pull the RX for a new one.
I upgraded from a Futaba 9CHPS to a Futaba 12FGA with both 2.4 and 72 band, with a 14 channel RX, 7 channel and an Orange FAAST 8. The 9C was like liquid as it can be changed in every direction... the 12FGA is like GAS!


jahatton is offline Find More Posts by jahatton
Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 06:29 PM
I'd rather be out flying
t-moller's Avatar
San Diego, CA
Joined Aug 2007
371 Posts

After a year in the ceiling, I finally finished mounting the cowling and took it out for its first flight. I set it up for 3D as that is my style of flying. Was a bit surprised at how responsive both the elevator and rudder was.
I could feel that there was a bit of positive up thrust, checked it when I got back home, and yes. A thin 1/32" ply under the top motor mounts and it's fixed.
Had a bit of tucking under on both sides of knife edge, nothing big most are that way with even some rolling out. Mixed some rudder to elevator and it fixed that. Harriers are a breeze with this one, can't wait to wing it out some more. Not bad for an airframe under $400.-
t-moller is offline Find More Posts by t-moller
Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 01:28 AM
Bad-ass Super Contributor!
jahatton's Avatar
Hope, British Columbia
Joined Sep 2007
502 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-moller View Post
After a year in the ceiling, I finally finished mounting the cowling and took it out for its first flight. I set it up for 3D as that is my style of flying. Was a bit surprised at how responsive both the elevator and rudder was.
I could feel that there was a bit of positive up thrust, checked it when I got back home, and yes. A thin 1/32" ply under the top motor mounts and it's fixed.
Had a bit of tucking under on both sides of knife edge, nothing big most are that way with even some rolling out. Mixed some rudder to elevator and it fixed that. Harriers are a breeze with this one, can't wait to wing it out some more. Not bad for an airframe under $400.-
Awesome! Welcome back. :-) What engine are you running and what is the weight? I'm too afraid of slow speed but that's ok. I can always come home with a straight plane. LOL
jahatton is offline Find More Posts by jahatton
Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 11:14 PM
I'd rather be out flying
t-moller's Avatar
San Diego, CA
Joined Aug 2007
371 Posts

Hi,

I'm running the DLE-55RE with a custom built Pitts muffler from Bisson.
On the weight, I'm not sure. Didn't really do any big weight saving stuff except for exchanging the main wing tube due to mine was dented and didn't fit in the wings or fuse. So I had a left over CF wing tube from my 88" Extreme Flight Extra 300, and I have a CF main gear hanging around that fit.

Running all Hitech HS7955 on all surfaces, HS5625 on throttle and std for choke.
dual Li-On 2600 mAh 7.2 volts un-regulated except for inline regulators on throttle and choke.
Std. JR 921 2.4ghz receiver with one satellite, Wolverine switch.

Wheel pants off as I broke one of the wheels last weekend as we had a 90 degree 25 mph side wind landing on asphalt.

I'll post some vids if I can get some taken.
t-moller is offline Find More Posts by t-moller
Last edited by t-moller; 07-03-2014 at 11:16 PM. Reason: extra comment
Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 06:15 PM
Registered User
Joined Apr 2012
2 Posts
50cc Sbach aerobat

I was referred here following a post I recently placed on tyhe RCGroups Competition Aerobatics forum. I note this thread hasn`t been added to in over six months - I trust it is still live... I have read every page here and gleaned a lot of very good information along the way - specially from the photos.

My situation :- I recently saved a badly bent 50cc SBach from being binned following an impressive prang. Being retired, I have time on my hands and am looking forward to the challenge of getting this thing airborne again - I`ve wanted a 50cc aerobat for some time and here is my opportunity. Part of the deal was I had to strip out the existing motor, gear, etc and return it to the immediate past owner - it has had at least two owners in its brief active lifetime.

My initial task is to try and identify the make of this model and I must admt that having spent many hours perusing this thread, I still cannot be sure of its pedigree. Nearest I personally got was to identify the plywood construction in the HK advert, but it seems the Pilot model is very similar. Most major parts will be salvageable, but the cowling has been hacked around to cater for a Pitts muffler and could be replaced. However, HK have already advised they cannot provide any spares at all for this model.

Is there any way I can separate the identity between the Pilot model and the HK version? Overall construction of my wreck seemed to be quite good and it has the following features:-
Cf wing and tailplane spars - wingspar is 25mm dia x 815 long - and is broken.
Aluminium main landing gear
Blue anodised tailwheel unit
Flat plastic hinges at tailplane. I think these may have been used all round and a previous owner has installed hinge-points at ailerons.
The turtledeck is curved balsa - not foam.
The canopy hatch has a thin foam cover on top of the laser-cut plywood base.

Can anyone help identify my model from this sketchy description? Any help at all will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Alan W
AlphaWhisky is offline Find More Posts by AlphaWhisky
Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 08:57 PM
Bad-ass Super Contributor!
jahatton's Avatar
Hope, British Columbia
Joined Sep 2007
502 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWhisky View Post
I was referred here following a post I recently placed on tyhe RCGroups Competition Aerobatics forum. I note this thread hasn`t been added to in over six months - I trust it is still live... I have read every page here and gleaned a lot of very good information along the way - specially from the photos.

My situation :- I recently saved a badly bent 50cc SBach from being binned following an impressive prang. Being retired, I have time on my hands and am looking forward to the challenge of getting this thing airborne again - I`ve wanted a 50cc aerobat for some time and here is my opportunity. Part of the deal was I had to strip out the existing motor, gear, etc and return it to the immediate past owner - it has had at least two owners in its brief active lifetime.

My initial task is to try and identify the make of this model and I must admt that having spent many hours perusing this thread, I still cannot be sure of its pedigree. Nearest I personally got was to identify the plywood construction in the HK advert, but it seems the Pilot model is very similar. Most major parts will be salvageable, but the cowling has been hacked around to cater for a Pitts muffler and could be replaced. However, HK have already advised they cannot provide any spares at all for this model.

Is there any way I can separate the identity between the Pilot model and the HK version? Overall construction of my wreck seemed to be quite good and it has the following features:-
Cf wing and tailplane spars - wingspar is 25mm dia x 815 long - and is broken.
Aluminium main landing gear
Blue anodised tailwheel unit
Flat plastic hinges at tailplane. I think these may have been used all round and a previous owner has installed hinge-points at ailerons.
The turtledeck is curved balsa - not foam.
The canopy hatch has a thin foam cover on top of the laser-cut plywood base.

Can anyone help identify my model from this sketchy description? Any help at all will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Alan W
Hi AlphaWhisky thank you for contacting this thread and welcome! I think HobbyKing brand has aluminum landing gear. The previous owners may have switched to carbon spars as I did. The canopy hatch cover sounds like a Pilot R/C.
Pilot R/C has their name burned on the plywood firewall I believe. If you need a cowling the Pilot R/C one would be your best bet.
If you don't mind maybe showing some pictures of your airframe and post your progress pictures here.
This thread isn't dead yet just sleeping. I've been sidelined the last 2 years with an unknown illness which finely got nasty. Now I'm recovering with a diagnoses of Walking Pneumonia which turned into Staph infected pneumonia in both lungs. Anyway I had the Bach out for an engine run-up a few times last year. Looking forward to flying it again.
jahatton is offline Find More Posts by jahatton
Last edited by jahatton; 01-30-2015 at 09:07 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 02:15 AM
Registered User
Joined Apr 2012
2 Posts
HK 50cc SBach

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your reply. Sorry to learn of your health woes - I trust you are now well on the mend...

Since loading my previous post, I have taken delivery of a 25mm dia cf wing-tube, a roll of black cover film, and a couple of 23 x 8 3D props ex SDS. Took advantage of one long, skinny package .... I have also taken delivery of a new DLE 55 so the die is cast .... I intend to run this engine with a canister as the previous set-up was pretty noisy, so will require to cater for that during the re-build.

I have already repaired both wings where the u/c came up through the underside and caused some damage.

I`ll try and attach a couple of pics to show what I have to start with, but outside issues will keep me away from the workshop for the next three weeks at least.
AlphaWhisky is offline Find More Posts by AlphaWhisky
Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 08:56 PM
Bad-ass Super Contributor!
jahatton's Avatar
Hope, British Columbia
Joined Sep 2007
502 Posts

Hi AlphaWhisky, boy you sure got your work cut out for you... this will be a real good lesson on reconstruction. My occupation is autobody and know if all the pieces are there then the battle is half won.
Keep us posted on the progress.
Jim
jahatton is offline Find More Posts by jahatton
Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools