Old 03-01-2007, 09:25 AM
Find More Posts by forgues research
Canada
Joined Feb 2006
4,281 Posts
Re: 7 volt regulator for Giant Scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybye View Post
i would put the third servo in just for redundancy. it you have only two servos and one goes out, and then the aileron starts to flutter and you crash your plane that blows. i would like to have my 20 lb plane 6 oz heavier and be safe in case of a servo going out. IMO

First why would you need 3 servos per ailerons in a 20 lbs airplane???

Second, with a proper setup, the servos are not needed to stop flutter.

So I respecfully disagree.

We have very good NmHd batteries with the proper voltage, so I don't see the need to go to anything but!!!!

They are heavier, but then again what is the weight of the added regulators, when using Li. batteries. Don't forget don't look at the battery weight but rather the difference in weight.

Roger
forgues research is offline Find More Posts by forgues research
Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 03-01-2007, 09:27 AM
Find More Posts by Eury
A fifth of Peter.
United States, NH, Nottingham
Joined May 2006
807 Posts

Quote:
A thought I had, smell the smoke, if you are regulating at 7-7.5V you limit battery capacity till the voltage drops to 7V and regulators dont work any longer
Yeah, but no fly voltage on a 2s lithium is 7.1, so if you are checking your batteries like you should, you'l never hit that point.
Eury is offline Find More Posts by Eury
Old 03-01-2007, 09:30 AM
Canada
Joined Feb 2006
4,281 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamFlatout View Post
I dont understand why these companies keep antying up with the power. Do we really need those extra ounces of torque? Was talking with Dennis from Carden the other day and he was telling back in the day they were running servos that were comparable to the JR 4721 on all of there 40lb 40%er's. I dont even think that servo has 100oz's of torque. Unless you have a plane that is above the say 42, 44% level why would you run 3 servos? Is it necessary? With two servos on an aileron and one goes out chances are you probably wont know until you come down and possibly check it. Its not going to flutter off unless you are doing some 100mph high speed pass. How many of us do that now with our 40%er's. I sure as hell dont. Heck the wing is going to blow off before the servo goes out. I'll probably stick to my 8611's till the cows come home. I already have 600 oz's of torque on the ailerons why would I need 1200+ oz's of torque on them? Kinda idiotic because if they are rated at 7 volts you'll never get there unless they come out with a 7 volt regulator or just run it wide open straight to the battery and when or if they have already (havent heard about it) its going to be ridiculously expensive. I just dont understand all the extra power when all we have now is more than enough. Maybe someone else can shed some light on this subject.

I agree with Denis.
We use to run non digital servos of about 50 oz of torque in our fast pattern airplanes and never a problem.

I am now using only two 5995's per ailerons on my 52% Edge and only one per elevators. and one Seiko on the rudder, the flight enveloppe is very crisp and fast, no problems whatesoever....

And all on NmHd Batteries.

Roger
Old 03-01-2007, 11:39 AM
Find More Posts by DKjens
DKjens
Sweden, Gävleborg, Söderhamn
Joined Jan 2006
797 Posts

I seem to remember that I had a conversation with Bob about a 7+V regulator, and he told me that if you want to regulate your voltage to 7.4V or above, I would need to run 3-cell Li-Ions. I don't think he would recommend regulating 2-cell Li-Ions to higher than 7.0V.

I can assure anybody here, that on some 150cc size airplanes you can see and feal a difference between running two and three 5995/5955 on each aileron. The two airplanes in question are the AM 37.5 and 40% Yaks. There is significant blowback at high speed with only two servos on each aileron. To whomever suggested we don't fly around at 100mph, well, some of us do. Some of us some times get into some real fast IMAC style flying, and doing fast point rolls at WOT shows you if you have enough on ailerons.
Roger, I can't believe you only have two 5995TGs on the ailerons of that 52% Edge. You must be running a 2:1 mechanical advantage and only get about 20degr. throw, or your flying is all "Sunday" flying.
DKjens is offline Find More Posts by DKjens
Old 03-01-2007, 02:22 PM
Find More Posts by Kiwi
Chile, Antofagasta, Antofagasta Province
Joined Jan 2006
5,983 Posts

Well I have an regulator built by Robert a long time ago that regulates 11.4 volts down to 7.6 Yes I tried it with the 5995's when they first came out. I told you guys earlier I like burning stuff up and making smoke. The Myth Busting stuff but for RC.

Well the regulator to drop 11.4 to 7 or 7.5 has a serious issue and its all due to that guy names OHMS. He made some rules about electricity that we have not been able to break since.
Pretty much the issue is that the regulator cannot deliver more than 7 amps. I forget exactly why and I'm sure someones going to come in here and re explain it to me.

However to correct a falacy touched on before. If you regulate a pack to say 7.1 volts and the initial voltage drops below 7.1 it does not shut down. It just delivers what the pack has left in it.

That sounds like another good experiment on the bench sometime soon to prove that but I'm sure they dont just turn off.

Kiwi
Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Kiwi
Old 03-01-2007, 04:07 PM
Find More Posts by SmoothFlying
Suspended Account
United States, OK, Bethel
Joined Jan 2006
5,049 Posts

WOT on uplines would be perfect. I agree with that. WOT on straight and level with 4pt rolls, you'll probably get points deducted for doing that unless they are super super super QQ flying crisp. 3 servos on a plane like you are talking about is probably needed since those planes are really big and need the power to move the plane.
SmoothFlying is offline Find More Posts by SmoothFlying
Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 03-01-2007, 09:13 PM
DKjens
Joined Jan 2006
797 Posts

He he, I am not talking about in a competition, I know you need to do your best to keep a constant speed in a competition, not to mention to keep the noise level down. I am thinking about all the times you get a hair up your @rse, and just feel like letting it rip. We all fly different, I know, but I know quite a few people who like to get going FAST, pulling HIGH Gs, asking everything out of the ailerons and the air frame.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:21 PM
Canada
Joined Feb 2006
4,281 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKjens View Post

Roger, I can't believe you only have two 5995TGs on the ailerons of that 52% Edge. You must be running a 2:1 mechanical advantage and only get about 20degr. throw, or your flying is all "Sunday" flying.

I think you seem to think a bit too much that your way is the only way.

I am not setup for 3 D, and not everyone is. By taking full advantage of the setup trows, I calculated I'm getting a bit more then 600 oz of torque per servo.

No I am not a sunday flyer but IMAC, again plenty of power, If ever I want to fly this airplane 3D then extra servos are going in.

Roger
Old 04-03-2007, 05:17 PM
Find More Posts by flybye
Newport Beach, California
Joined Jan 2006
385 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamFlatout View Post
That would be crazy to put 3 servos on a 20lb plane. Heck that 2nd servo you would put on a 20lb plane would be your safe guard for redundancy. People would say you are crazy if they saw 3 servos on a 20lb airplane.
the point was not meant for a 20lb plane. my point is i'd rather have 3 servos running at a lower voltage and last longer because they are running at a safe voltage level, then 2 servos running at a risky high voltage, and risk one(or both) go out. the 20lb plane thing was a metaphor. all i mean is, that i'd rather have the plane a little heavier and have everything last longer. this goes for planes of all sizes.
flybye is offline Find More Posts by flybye
Old 04-03-2007, 06:54 PM
DKjens
Joined Jan 2006
797 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgues research View Post
I think you seem to think a bit too much that your way is the only way.

I am not setup for 3 D, and not everyone is. By taking full advantage of the setup trows, I calculated I'm getting a bit more then 600 oz of torque per servo.

No I am not a sunday flyer but IMAC, again plenty of power, If ever I want to fly this airplane 3D then extra servos are going in.

Roger
Not at all Roger, and as it pans out, you are running a 2:1 mechanical advantage if you're getting 600 ozin per servo to your ailerons, so what I pointed out was not my way but rather your way.

I do however prefer plenty of power to the ailerons for quickness and consistancy.
Old 04-12-2007, 02:17 PM
Find More Posts by torquen
Lodi, Ca. USA
Joined Jan 2006
1,650 Posts

The reason the 40% planes such as Carden can get away with two servos is simple. "They have way smaller surfaces" When you compare a Carden aileron "5" wide at the most to something like a 3w/qq yak with a 7.5" wide aileron at the root you have a huge difference in load.
Also, I use to fly with the old 4721's and 9303's in the big planes. They did get the job done. But when new more powerful servos started coming out you could notice a huge difference in the way the plane performed. I run all my Futaba gear on 6.5 volts and don't have any problems.

Roger, I thought you were going to post some video's of your 50% edge flying with the EVO 300 in it once it was going? What happened? I'm sure a bunch of people would love to see the Evo 300 haul that 50% around.

Garrett
torquen is offline Find More Posts by torquen
Old 04-24-2007, 06:46 PM
Find More Posts by JPrc
I piss excellence!
Bossier City, Louisiana
Joined Jan 2006
582 Posts

Has that plane flown yet? I heard the EVO 300s were not panning out to well.
JPrc is offline Find More Posts by JPrc
Old 07-20-2008, 06:00 PM
Find More Posts by rzubiria
United States, FL, Weston
Joined Jun 2006
14 Posts

Hello All,

Very interesting all these discussions. Do you all think that I need to regulate A123 batteries using Hitec 5955 in a 40% aircraft?
Thanks,
rzubiria is offline Find More Posts by rzubiria
Old 07-20-2008, 06:03 PM
Find More Posts by Eury
A fifth of Peter.
United States, NH, Nottingham
Joined May 2006
807 Posts

I dont' know why you would, A123s are within the specs of the 5955. My edge is running 5955s on everythign with unregulated A123s.
Eury is offline Find More Posts by Eury
Old 07-21-2008, 07:49 AM
Find More Posts by rzubiria
United States, FL, Weston
Joined Jun 2006
14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eury View Post
I dont' know why you would, A123s are within the specs of the 5955. My edge is running 5955s on everythign with unregulated A123s.

Nick,

Do you have any variation on the servo speed that you notice when you start using the batteries at full charge and when the batteries are drained (let say after 5 - 6 flights)?

What size of A123 (MAH) are you using and how many flights can you get with them?

Thanks,
rzubiria is offline Find More Posts by rzubiria

Quick Reply