logo
Old 02-24-2013, 03:03 AM
Find More Posts by Racyred3dflyer
Joined Jun 2011
85 Posts
Help!
Comp Ar 330sc vs krill sukhoi

Hey guys,
I'm ready to buy a new precision planefor the upcoming IMAC season. I'm between the Comp Arf 330sc and the Krill Sukhoi. Can anyone lend any insight?
Thanks!
Ryan
Racyred3dflyer is offline Find More Posts by Racyred3dflyer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 02-24-2013, 03:26 AM
Find More Posts by tackdog
Luke-learn to 3D!!!!!!!
Wagga - Australia
Joined Aug 2008
381 Posts
are you chasing a 40%er?

is money an option?

I flew a friends carf 330sc with da150 and re3 pipes and it was absolutely brilliant to fly. I felt more confident in painting lines after 2 mins than my carf 260 i had for some time.

I'm ready to maiden my krill su29 but the weather is just garbage at the moment so I can't give you a comparison just yet...the krill definitely feels a lot more lighter on the ground that's for sure and the controll surfaces are considerably bigger on the suk. around an inch and a bit at the aileron route with centre pin hinged wings.

friend is running equivalent to futaba 9157's on the carf, 2 rudder, two each aileron and one in each stab no problems at all for some time. on the suk, an extra servo per aileron and stab.

itll be a month before I get some decent trimming flights to give you a decent comparison cause as we all know, our new plane is always the best plane ever after a maiden
tackdog is offline Find More Posts by tackdog
Old 02-24-2013, 03:53 AM
Find More Posts by Billy Bunter
United Kingdom, England, London
Joined Apr 2008
94 Posts
Hello Ryan,

I've got the Krill 37% Sukhoi with a Mintor220 in it. Its the 2011 version Sukhoi with the centre hinged 3D wings. Prior to that I had the older design Krill Sukhoi with top hinged wings.

In moving to the new Sukhoi it very definitely feels much better, though I must say the old Sukhoi was quite excellent to start off with. I'd say the new one feels more locked in and much more axial. With the 3 degrees of right thrust I used to mount the engine I'm flying rudder trim free and the tracking is excellent.

The new Sukhoi has only had 7 flights on it and the engine is new and being run in, so it is still a little early to fully comment, but I've got high hopes this will be a fantastic model/set-up for either freestyle or precision.

I think the major improvements I'm seeing over the old Sukhoi are:

1) Generally tighter feel - the old design had a aluminium wing tube which flexed quite a bit. The newer design has a carbon tube and all that flex has gone. Its made for a much tighter feel
2) Better aileron response - I'm running x4, 30Kg pull servos on each aileron and the response is razor sharp now. The three servos per aileron I had on the old Sukhoi (with a DA170) used to struggle at times and in high speed snaps/rolls I could see there was some blow back
3) More locked in feel and better tracking - the combination of the perfect side thrust with the extra weight I'm carrying with the Mintor is making this feel VERY locked in. I'd actually say this is the best tracking model I've flown
3) Very pure, axial rolling - the new wing/aileron design is making for the nicest, crispest rolling I possibly ever experienced. I'm needing zero differential - its just perfect!

(Tackdog - be ready to be blown away by your new Sukhoi!!!!)

As for the Carf Extra330, I haven't flown one, though I do own the equivalent Krill 41% 330sc and I doubt the flight differences between them are huge.

So, comparing the Extra to the Sukhoi, I haven't noticed that much difference in precision, but the Extra is more capable when you then transition beyond freestyle flight and into 3D. It definitely likes to rotate more than the Sukhoi, but can also become more of a handful to fly when you do that. I can see how the Extra could bite back at you whereas the Sukhoi is more mild mannered in that regard.

Either way, whichever of the two models you go for, they are both up there at the top of the tree. I'm sure you won't be disappointed with either of them!

B.
Billy Bunter is offline Find More Posts by Billy Bunter
Old 02-24-2013, 06:05 AM
Find More Posts by Andrew Bird
United Kingdom, England, Molesey
Joined Sep 2007
935 Posts
Ryan,

Having owned both, personally prefer Comp Arf. I sold my SU and still own the Comp Arf. Personally, I think it's a better flying plane. In precision it tracks better, it's more consistent and I prefer the way it snaps. It's stiffer and requires far less modification to make it / keep it fit for purpose. You can build it straight out of the box, make sure you CG it correctly and have a great sequence (and freestyle) plane.
Having now owned the 35% Krill Extra and flown it's 41% bigger brother, after having a lot of time on my comp arf, the Krill experience has just been one of disappointment. I'm yet to hear from anyone who has measured their Krill Extra from the factory and find it has the correct incidences, my 35% has required far too much work and money to reset it to the correct incidences and the flight performance is still not up to scratch versus my Compy 330SC.
Again - just a personal opinion (and you know what they say about opinions) but I would take the Krill SU over the Krill Extra with the experiences I have if we are talking about the 40% versions and the the comp arf over either of those offerings without needing to debate the choice.

Andrew.
Andrew Bird is offline Find More Posts by Andrew Bird
Last edited by Andrew Bird; 02-24-2013 at 06:26 AM.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:18 AM
Find More Posts by skymaster68
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jan 2006
583 Posts
Ryan, I agree with ANdrew Bird, besides you are talking about to different planes, an Extra flies different than a SU, that has some drag, go with the Comp-ARF you wont be disappointed, and if you want a SU, get the Carf SU31, that is a great flying plane also bigger than the Krill, tracks better than the 260 or 330 at least that is what a felt put a 170 on pipes or a 200 and you'll have a awesome IMAC/3D plane.
THe 330SC I've flown has a 170 and pipes, and has lots of power, I think with a 150 on pipes will be great too.
skymaster68 is offline Find More Posts by skymaster68
Old 02-25-2013, 01:09 PM
Find More Posts by Alkaline
United States, TX, Beaumont
Joined Mar 2010
1,896 Posts
I would be very cautious about ordering a Krill its been my experience twice that either they don't send what you ask for,or they will poorly package your item.

That said the krill are extremely light.

Carf is pretty good and has good support from US reps like Andy Kane.
Alkaline is offline Find More Posts by Alkaline
Old 02-25-2013, 03:42 PM
Find More Posts by jms5599
United States, MO, High Ridge
Joined Feb 2009
973 Posts
I had the 100cc Krill Sukhoi, it wasn't a great 3D plane. It rolled nice, and the quaility is a step above the carf. I didn't like the coupling in KE. It tucked to the gear pretty bad. I liked flying it alot, but not enough to consider buying another!
jms5599 is online now Find More Posts by jms5599
Old 02-25-2013, 04:22 PM
Find More Posts by craig77
UK
Joined Jul 2006
837 Posts
lol! thats just the SU! In My opinion the krills are built light and probably not as stiff and as the comp arfs, but thats the sacrifice to get better performance.

I have owned and flown all the 3m versions and a few comp arfs and the new generation of Krills are amazing in quality, design and performance and far out perform the comp arfs, this is just my opinion.
craig77 is offline Find More Posts by craig77
Old 02-25-2013, 10:19 PM
Find More Posts by Racyred3dflyer
Joined Jun 2011
85 Posts
Just ordered the Comp ARF! ...sorry Craig... It should be here in a week or so. Does anyone know how close the instructions for the 2.3m 330sc are to the 3m?
Racyred3dflyer is offline Find More Posts by Racyred3dflyer
Old 02-26-2013, 02:47 AM
Find More Posts by Andrew Bird
United Kingdom, England, Molesey
Joined Sep 2007
935 Posts
Ryan,

Feel free to PM me if you need any help and I'll give you my email address. They should have instructions for the plane out there and it's a shame they don't but I'm sure I or others who've built these can help point you in the right direction.
Andrew Bird is offline Find More Posts by Andrew Bird
Old 02-26-2013, 04:11 AM
Find More Posts by craig77
UK
Joined Jul 2006
837 Posts
not fussed dude! good luck with her. Andrew knows these planes well..
craig77 is offline Find More Posts by craig77

Quick Reply