logo
Old 08-17-2015, 04:35 PM
Find More Posts by tripdaddy
United States, TX, Magnolia
Joined Oct 2013
16 Posts
Help!
big bird setup

Hi everybody. I started dabbling in big bird aerobatics and a bit of 3D a few months ago. Had a 55cc AW Extra 300 which I recently traded. I want to go bigger but am unsure of the setup requirements. I'm looking at moving into a AW 120cc Freestyle Extra 260. So far, I'm thinking of using...

DLE 120
Spektrum 12 channel power safe rx
Harris smoke pump
Hitec 7955-TG all the way around (except throttle)
Electrodynamics opto-kill
Fourtitude tanks and plumbing (when the new designs come out).

What I don't know is...

- I hear that I should use matchboxes on the ailerons. Not familiar with these. Could use some advise here.
- Regulators for ignition and servos. I've never used regulators. Any recommendations on what kind and how they are hooked up?
- Thinking of using dual LiFe's on Rx. Any recommendations on size (mah)? Want as much as possible without going overboard.

I'm not as much of a newbie as some of these questions may make me sound but I've never done a plane this size and want to make sure I do it right. Also, I know that there are many schools of thought from many different people. Just looking for some wisdom.

thanks, in advance, for your help.
tripdaddy is offline Find More Posts by tripdaddy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 08-17-2015, 04:36 PM
Joined Oct 2013
16 Posts
If nothing else, maybe you could point me in the direction of some relevant threads.

thanks again.
Old 08-17-2015, 05:08 PM
Find More Posts by Phil Griffin
Sponsored by my wife & girls
United States, AL, Mountain Brook
Joined Jun 2008
10,276 Posts
Sure, you can Matchbox. You can also program the 7955's, match them through some transmitters or use one of the many power distribution units out there, such as Powerbox, SmartFly etc... Servos? Go high-voltage and eliminate as many regs as you can. Many people these days are also using the Tech-Aero IBEC on their ignitions, thus negating the need for an ignition battery. This IBEC also functions as a reg if you happen to need it on your ignition module. (DLE's are HV, all DA's are 6v except the 35) The IBEC also has a built in kill and LED light. Way cool and super dependable. Personally, I use Glacer 2S lipo's, 3,300 mah on my 120cc stuff. Again, lotz of choices here. You'll get many, many opinions. Have fun!
Phil Griffin is offline Find More Posts by Phil Griffin
Old 08-17-2015, 05:18 PM
Joined Oct 2013
16 Posts
thanks Phil.
- So matchboxes aren't necessary as long as I go through the work of matching neutral and end points and eliminate any buzzing (binding)? I use a DX18 Tx and am pretty sure I can program those things fairly easily.
- My servos will handle the power but I had heard that it was desirable to use a regulator to get consistent power. Or is that just some koolaid that I'm drinking? My general thought is that the fewer parts I use, the fewer points of failure. but, again, I want to make sure I do it right.

- I'll check out that IBEC. Heard of that before but haven't looked into it yet. thanks for the reminder and all the other info.
Old 08-17-2015, 05:26 PM
Joined Jun 2008
10,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripdaddy View Post
thanks Phil.
- So matchboxes aren't necessary as long as I go through the work of matching neutral and end points and eliminate any buzzing (binding)? I use a DX18 Tx and am pretty sure I can program those things fairly easily.
- My servos will handle the power but I had heard that it was desirable to use a regulator to get consistent power. Or is that just some koolaid that I'm drinking? My general thought is that the fewer parts I use, the fewer points of failure. but, again, I want to make sure I do it right.

- I'll check out that IBEC. Heard of that before but haven't looked into it yet. thanks for the reminder and all the other info.
Lol.. I'll not say you'd NEVER want to use a reg, cause I have friends that do just for the reasons you've stated. However, I'm not talented enough to to tell the difference in consistency between the beginning of a flight and the end sans reg, so I and many others do just fine with a 2S and no servo reg. Your 18 should balance the servos very well. I don't own one, but I also have a similar feature in my 11X and I think you'll be fine there. Others can elaborate on the 18 specifically.
Old 08-17-2015, 05:38 PM
Joined Oct 2013
16 Posts
:-) Understood. I think we are on the same page. I will hit a golf ball the same with a $40 club as I would with a $400 club because my skills aren't high enough to capitalize on the nuances.

thanks again for the help.
Old 08-17-2015, 05:38 PM
Find More Posts by FGNewbie
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Mar 2010
6,421 Posts
you don't need MBs with an 18.
FGNewbie is offline Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Old 08-17-2015, 05:40 PM
Joined Jun 2008
10,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripdaddy View Post
:-) Understood. I think we are on the same page. I will hit a golf ball the same with a $40 club as I would with a $400 club because my skills aren't high enough to capitalize on the nuances.

thanks again for the help.
You're very welcome. I'm certainly no expert here, but glad to help where I can.
There are sooooooo many ways to reach your end goal here in RC land as I'm sure you're aware.
Old 08-17-2015, 05:41 PM
Find More Posts by wyo69cowboy
Gettin better 1 crash@ a time!
Cody WY
Joined Apr 2009
1,890 Posts
Here's a build thread here on FG: https://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/...ad.php?t=93438

My Freestyle 260 is setup as follows:
GP123/Planebender Smoothpipes/Falcon 29x9W carbon
6 Savox 1270TG/single 2230 on rudder/Hitec 5665 throttle(all HV rated)
Dual 4000mah 2S lipos with a Booma RC dual switch/pin flag (no regulators)
Tech Aero IBEC for ignition
Futaba 8FG Super/dual 6008 rx's. No matchboxes

I've got 36 flights on mine now; love it. Use about 7-800mah per flight, based on what my charger puts back in packs. I'm cheating and just using a 2ch aileron setup, as I'm out of channels with the 8ch rx's. With dual rx's, I have 4 aileron inputs, but it's only using 2 ch in each rx for the ailerons. I just matched center and endpoints for no binding; likely a little binding through the middle, but it's been fine so far. I will be upgrading to the new Futaba 7018rx this winter(dual HD power leads), and will use 4 full channels on ailerons then.
wyo69cowboy is offline Find More Posts by wyo69cowboy
Last edited by wyo69cowboy; 08-17-2015 at 06:00 PM.
Old 08-17-2015, 05:48 PM
Joined Oct 2013
16 Posts
sweet. thanks cowboy.
Old 08-17-2015, 08:40 PM
Find More Posts by FranciscoOrtiz
Mexico, S.L.P., San Luis Potosi
Joined May 2006
185 Posts
I have mi Hangar 9 extra 300 with dx18 radio and 7955 hitecs and no regulator

You don' t need any regulator with LiFE batteries, no matchbox, just set your radio with 4 ailerons, tail ailevator. You can use two 3000-4000 mAh and fly all day long

The DLE120 ignition can tolerate 8.4 volts without regulator
FranciscoOrtiz is offline Find More Posts by FranciscoOrtiz

Quick Reply