Welcome to The FlyingGiants! - please login or click this bar to join our community...

Welcome to The FlyingGiants Community! We're all about fun, and inside you'll find the greatest, friendliest, and most helpful group of people around! If this is your first time visiting, please check out site, and click here to sign up! We hope to see you soon!!

Go Back   FlyingGiants > R/C Industry Connection > FlyingGiants Sponsored Technical Support > Smart-Fly Support
Forgot your password? Create a new account

Old 01-04-2012, 09:43 AM   #1
cmoore806
Doo It! Doo It!

Default servo wiring and effects ?

I need some advice. I am using a PowerSystem Competition 12 Turbo in my Super Flying King. This is not an unlimited aerobatic plane by any means and this powersystem is probably overkill (but I am trying to build a stockpile of guts for future projects too). I am running two 4600 mah a123 batteries from electrodynamics. I have a separate a123 for my ignition and I am not concerned about the ignition. What I am concerned about is the power supply to the servos in my wing. I have a simple two aileron servo and two flap servo setup. I have added four servos (standard size analog servos, no frills) to actuate dropping mechanisms in the wing. I would like to combine all my wiring (lighting too) into two 6 pin plugs. In doing this I am consolidating all the +/- lines from eight servos and separating the signal wires. In doing this am I causing problems in powering my servos. The four control servos are Hitec HS 755MG and the four accessory servos are JR Sport 47BB servos.

Thanks!
Chris
cmoore806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:59 AM   #2
scott m lyons
GOT GAS ?

It will work fine, prolly better. Just use a larger power and negative to power the junction spot were the + and -0 come together. Like 16 gadge wire.

scott m lyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:20 AM   #3
wfield0455
Bad-ass Super Contributor!

Quote: Originally Posted by cmoore806
View Post
I need some advice. I am using a PowerSystem Competition 12 Turbo in my Super Flying King. This is not an unlimited aerobatic plane by any means and this powersystem is probably overkill (but I am trying to build a stockpile of guts for future projects too). I am running two 4600 mah a123 batteries from electrodynamics. I have a separate a123 for my ignition and I am not concerned about the ignition. What I am concerned about is the power supply to the servos in my wing. I have a simple two aileron servo and two flap servo setup. I have added four servos (standard size analog servos, no frills) to actuate dropping mechanisms in the wing. I would like to combine all my wiring (lighting too) into two 6 pin plugs. In doing this I am consolidating all the +/- lines from eight servos and separating the signal wires. In doing this am I causing problems in powering my servos. The four control servos are Hitec HS 755MG and the four accessory servos are JR Sport 47BB servos.

Thanks!
Chris
Doesn't sound like a good idea to me... I guess if weight is not a concern then 2, 4600mah A123s if fine but it is probably twice what is really needed. I routinely fly 40% planes that consume near 1000mah per flight on 2, 2300mah A123 packs. The beauty of A123s is that you can charge them in about 15 minutes so I simply charge them after 3 flights and it normally takes < 15 minutes to recharge. Of course it's all about what feels good to you so if the weight of 2, 4600mah packs isn't a problem and you don't want to charge at the field, go for it.

If I'm understanding your description correctly, you are planning on using a single 6 pin (probably) multiplex connector per wing, is that correct? On that single connector you would like to power 4 servos (1 aileron, 1 flap, 2 drops) plus lighting? If that is correct, that sounds like too much for a single connector. Unless you have a small circuit board that "fans out" all the + / - connections, you would need to solder at least 4 wires to a single pin for each of the + and minus leads, more if you were including lighting. Sounds like to much power per pin and also difficult to assemble. Personally, I would use 2 multiplex connectors per wing (1 for aileron / flaps, another for drops) with a single wire per pin and use a completely separate connector for your lighting.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:33 AM   #4
rrritchey
Super Contributor

Quote: Originally Posted by cmoore806
View Post
Thanks!
Chris
Hi,
The Multiplex connectors are good for about 6 amps per pin. This is good for about 2 servos. We do have 8-pin Multiplex type connectors available we are going to start using on some of our more advanced units. With 8 pins this provides you with 4 signals wires and 2 servos per power/ground pair. If you are interested call us.