logo
Old 01-04-2012, 06:30 PM
Find More Posts by pittsman44
Joined Oct 2009
208 Posts
If that is normal for his parts in the kits. Then they need to get out of the business fast. That foam was bad. Anyone who saw that and said it looked fine and sold it to you, thats crazy.
pittsman44 is offline Find More Posts by pittsman44
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 01-04-2012, 07:23 PM
Find More Posts by rooman
They're get'n lower mate.....
United States, PA, Home
Joined Nov 2006
3,941 Posts
Get some new replacements........for piece of mind -
rooman is offline Find More Posts by rooman
Old 01-04-2012, 07:49 PM
Find More Posts by husker
Riley O'Brien
United States, NE, Lincoln
Joined Oct 2008
2,813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryscustom View Post
That's what I thought, it's a pretty complex geometry.

I heard back from ATech and he is going to take a look at it on his end in the AM to see if my wings are consistent with his normal parts I guess.
I hope he ships my parts out as well...been waiting over a month now
husker is offline Find More Posts by husker
Old 01-04-2012, 08:21 PM
Find More Posts by terryscustom
Wood Butcher
United States, SD, Harrisburg
Joined Jan 2007
9,971 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by husker View Post
I hope he ships my parts out as well...been waiting over a month now
He said he would be at his shop tomorrow AM and said he would call about the wings, we'll see what happens. Maybe you want to give him a call in case he's only going to be there for a day to two like the last couple of times.

I didn't mean to start a complaint fest on this project, just not sure how to deal with these issues. Looks like I'm not crazy from the responses.

I went to Lowes tonight and got some aluminum "C" channel that is 1/2" x 3/8". I'm going to cut some hard maple and glue it inside of those. Next time I do a rudder and / or wing railing edges I'll clamp this on to straighten out the wing while the cap strips dry. Sounds like a good idea anyway, we'll see.
terryscustom is offline Find More Posts by terryscustom
Old 01-04-2012, 08:48 PM
Riley O'Brien
Joined Oct 2008
2,813 Posts
Quote:
He said he would be at his shop tomorrow AM and said he would call about the wings, we'll see what happens. Maybe you want to give him a call in case he's only going to be there for a day to two like the last couple of times.

I didn't mean to start a complaint fest on this project, just not sure how to deal with these issues. Looks like I'm not crazy from the responses.

I went to Lowes tonight and got some aluminum "C" channel that is 1/2" x 3/8". I'm going to cut some hard maple and glue it inside of those. Next time I do a rudder and / or wing railing edges I'll clamp this on to straighten out the wing while the cap strips dry. Sounds like a good idea anyway, we'll see.
I will try to get in touch with them(again) tomorrow. I have been trying to be patient and tried to avoid complaining but I am very close to ranting on my thread about my recent issues. My problems are from a couple bad parts that were drop shipped from their manufacturers rather than Aerotech...my frustration is a result of the numerous times I have been told they will be coming soon and still have not received anything.

Sounds like a great idea for the trailing edges. Post some pics...I might have to copy your idea on my next one.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:52 PM
Find More Posts by k.foster
Great White North Contributor
Canada, SK, Regina
Joined Jan 2008
357 Posts
Not sure what is going on with Aerotech! However, it is concerning. I would hate to think that they are getting out. I did have trouble getting a hold of them on many occasions. When I did get in contact with them they got things done!
k.foster is offline Find More Posts by k.foster
Old 01-04-2012, 09:59 PM
Joined Oct 2009
208 Posts
With these type of issues on a new kit and nothing but lip service to no resposne at all. I would feel like I just bought a Delorean and will never have a company behind my investment. You guys have more patients than me at this point. I would be calling my CC company and getting a refund and tell matt to expect the contents back on his door step.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:50 PM
Wood Butcher
Joined Jan 2007
9,971 Posts
OK, nuff of that till we hear back.

Does anyone know where I can get some of these in bulk, as in a couple dozen copies?? http://www.highalpha.org/forum/downl...2909&mode=view

Also, I got some carbon tow to use on my ailerons and elevators. What do you use to install that so that you don't have a dip or a bump in the sheeting?? Obviously cut a slot for it, but do you use epoxy and just trowel it smooth??
Old 01-04-2012, 10:53 PM
Joined Oct 2009
208 Posts
Cool Terry.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:01 PM
Riley O'Brien
Joined Oct 2008
2,813 Posts
Quote:
OK, nuff of that till we hear back.

Does anyone know where I can get some of these in bulk, as in a couple dozen copies?? http://www.highalpha.org/forum/downl...2909&mode=view

Also, I got some carbon tow to use on my ailerons and elevators. What do you use to install that so that you don't have a dip or a bump in the sheeting?? Obviously cut a slot for it, but do you use epoxy and just trowel it smooth??
Not sure on the horns....for the carbon tow on foam I just used epoxy and then used my finger(with a glove on) to smooth it out. It shouldn't show through the sheeting. The only places I had very minor dips were actually where I had made a bit of a slot. Final sanding seems to have taken care of it.

Not sure what the "right" way to do it is but what worked for me was to put some epoxy down on the foam first to hold the tow better as you lay it down. If you soak the tow first it gets slippery and becomes much harder to lay flat.
Last edited by husker; 01-04-2012 at 11:07 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:09 PM
Find More Posts by cardenflyer
Council Bluffs, IA
Joined Jan 2006
1,376 Posts
What did you ever decide on a landing gear? I'm thinking about getting a Graphtech main and tail gear for my arden this year. With that and a few other changes I'm guessing I'll drop 1.25 to 1.5 pounds for around $300

Great build, to bad about the wings though.
cardenflyer is offline Find More Posts by cardenflyer
Old 01-04-2012, 11:32 PM
Wood Butcher
Joined Jan 2007
9,971 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardenflyer View Post
What did you ever decide on a landing gear? I'm thinking about getting a Graphtech main and tail gear for my arden this year. With that and a few other changes I'm guessing I'll drop 1.25 to 1.5 pounds for around $300

Great build, to bad about the wings though.
I got the carbon gear and it is really nice. I think I got the Carden replacement gear. http://graphtechrcshop.com/category.sc?categoryId=14

Also got the tail wheel from them, it is really sweet: http://graphtechrcshop.com/product.s...8&categoryId=3

Next time I may try the TNT milled landing gear that is nearly the same weight as the carbon. Only reason would be it may not be as firm as the carbon. I saw these at their booth at the Nall last year and they looked really nice: http://www.tntlandinggear.com/choice_cut.htm

I planned on mounting my canopy shell tomorrow, but too bad.....60 degrees and 9mph wind! I'm skipping work and going flying
Old 01-04-2012, 11:33 PM
Find More Posts by lakerider8
Fast Planes,Sleds,and Boats.
Clinton,Iowa
Joined Dec 2009
1,222 Posts
Terry, On another thread you asked about a bow. This is the setup I came up with. Shelf hardware, a nylon plug bushing,and ply block to insulate the wire. The wire stays tight when heated as there is quite a bit of preload on the wire. Just finished up the templates for a new design I'll be building soon. I just have to get the plans dialed in better before starting the build. I always like to have everything on hand and ready when I start a build. BTW Karl was the basic inspiration for my bow and cutting setup. Should be cutting parts this weekend. Scott
lakerider8 is offline Find More Posts by lakerider8
Old 01-04-2012, 11:42 PM
Find More Posts by ericb
Team WTFO
USA, SD, Worthing
Joined Mar 2006
9,612 Posts
Quote:
I got the carbon gear and it is really nice. I think I got the Carden replacement gear. http://graphtechrcshop.com/category.sc?categoryId=14

Also got the tail wheel from them, it is really sweet: http://graphtechrcshop.com/product.s...8&categoryId=3

Next time I may try the TNT milled landing gear that is nearly the same weight as the carbon. Only reason would be it may not be as firm as the carbon. I saw these at their booth at the Nall last year and they looked really nice: http://www.tntlandinggear.com/choice_cut.htm

I planned on mounting my canopy shell tomorrow, but too bad.....60 degrees and 9mph wind! I'm skipping work and going flying

I should be out there around noon.
ericb is offline Find More Posts by ericb
Old 01-04-2012, 11:42 PM
Wood Butcher
Joined Jan 2007
9,971 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerider8 View Post
Terry, On another thread you asked about a bow. This is the setup I came up with. Shelf hardware, a nylon plug bushing,and ply block to insulate the wire. The wire stays tight when heated as there is quite a bit of preload on the wire. Just finished up the templates for a new design I'll be building soon. I just have to get the plans dialed in better before starting the build. I always like to have everything on hand and ready when I start a build. BTW Karl was the basic inspiration for my bow and cutting setup. Should be cutting parts this weekend. Scott
That's cool! Looks like I got the exact same brackets and shelf standard. So the Nylon is just to keep electricity from flowing through the bow I assume? I bought two so I can make a 50-60" and a 24-36" bow

On the templates, I have heard that a two-pc (top and bottom) template is best, but it seems many people are using a single template like you have. Any thoughts??

Quick Reply