logo
Old 04-21-2013, 10:40 AM
Find More Posts by 3ddave
United States, MN, Eagan
Joined Jun 2008
170 Posts
Discussion
EQ6 ignition cutoff problem

OK, have set up a number of EQ6s with zero issues,till now. Finishing up a new set up on a 100c Extra with all surfaces plus throttle working great. SmartFly function 2 in option menu picked gear chl 5 and activated swtich for ignition cut-off. Tried repeatedly with no joy. No red light on the igntion receiver side
Now here's where it gets interesting... Badger ignition switch on plus rx and SmartFly still powered up, while moving the sticks around the ign rx red light came on with Left Aileron and off with right aileron!!! Not what I weas looking for! Went back through the setup and could not find how in the hell the aileron stick movement was turning the igntion on and off.
The SmartFly EQ6 was not new but had been taken from another plane that was sold also with zero damage ever to the EQ6. I did a reset and even calibration when I installed the unit which I've heard may not be necessary using the same radio (JR 9303) so I should have started with a clean slate.
On the ignition cut-off receiver side the setup is Battery (2600 Relion), Badger switch,SmartFly receiver,SmartFly 5.1 volt regulator than ignition modual.
I was getting ready to fly this plane soon but not without an igntion cut-off.
Any ideas appreicated I do have another EQ6 Turbo I could use but dam I was almost done.
Thanks
3ddave is offline Find More Posts by 3ddave
Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 04-21-2013, 12:09 PM
Find More Posts by Dan767
That's at least a 9
United States, WA, Federal Way
Joined Jan 2006
2,854 Posts
I would look at the transmitters servo monitor and see what's going on. Actuate the gear switch and move the sticks and see what the monitor shows whats happening, then go from there.
Dan767 is offline Find More Posts by Dan767
Old 04-21-2013, 12:46 PM
Find More Posts by AeroSheldon
Nobody has more fun than me!
United States, CO, Highlands Ranch
Joined Jan 2006
3,140 Posts
Look at the instructions, there is a place to set the channel for the EQ6 to activate/kill the throttle.

I sold mine so I can't look but I remember that you have to set the kill channel. When you reset it you probably changed it.
AeroSheldon is offline Find More Posts by AeroSheldon
Old 04-22-2013, 09:42 AM
Find More Posts by rrritchey
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Sep 2006
447 Posts
Hi,
It does not sound like you followed the correct procedure for setting the Cutoff channel, it defaults to channel 6. The Cutoff assign function is IN the "Options Menu" which you must enter before you use function 2 to assign the channel.

A) Enter "Options Menu" using following proccedure:
1) Unit is off, set function to #9, set channel to any programmable channel (2-7).
2) Push BOTH pushbuttons, hold them down while powering on, when the LED for the selected
channel blinks you can release the pushbuttons.
B) Do any number of functions that are in the "Options Menu". For Cutoff channel assign:
1) Turn function to #2 BUT do not go through zero, turn counter-clockwise
2) Turn channel to the Eq6 channel you want the Cutoff assigned to
3) At this point currently assigned channel is blinking. Push both pushbuttons and hold until the
LED moves to the channel you are assigning
c) After doing all functions in the "Options Menu" you wish to do, return function to zero to exit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ddave View Post
OK, have set up a number of EQ6s with zero issues,till now. Finishing up a new set up on a 100c Extra with all surfaces plus throttle working great. SmartFly function 2 in option menu picked gear chl 5 and activated swtich for ignition cut-off. Tried repeatedly with no joy. No red light on the igntion receiver side
Now here's where it gets interesting... Badger ignition switch on plus rx and SmartFly still powered up, while moving the sticks around the ign rx red light came on with Left Aileron and off with right aileron!!! Not what I weas looking for! Went back through the setup and could not find how in the hell the aileron stick movement was turning the igntion on and off.
The SmartFly EQ6 was not new but had been taken from another plane that was sold also with zero damage ever to the EQ6. I did a reset and even calibration when I installed the unit which I've heard may not be necessary using the same radio (JR 9303) so I should have started with a clean slate.
On the ignition cut-off receiver side the setup is Battery (2600 Relion), Badger switch,SmartFly receiver,SmartFly 5.1 volt regulator than ignition modual.
I was getting ready to fly this plane soon but not without an igntion cut-off.
Any ideas appreicated I do have another EQ6 Turbo I could use but dam I was almost done.
Thanks
rrritchey is offline Find More Posts by rrritchey
Site Sponsor
Old 04-24-2013, 08:34 AM
Find More Posts by 3ddave
United States, MN, Eagan
Joined Jun 2008
170 Posts
Worked like a charm
Thank you!!!
3ddave is offline Find More Posts by 3ddave