logo
Old 05-05-2006, 04:12 AM
Find More Posts by Tony Streather
Joined May 2006
1 Posts
Hello from South Africa

Hi to all at the forum. I have just joined Flying Giants on 3rd May - looking for some overseas contacts in the hobby, and some videos of the top guys flying. I'm 74 and into my second childhood, having been retired from the aircraft industry for many years! I was in university teaching for 15 years, between periods in the industry mainly as a computational aerodynamicist.
I have been modelling since the 40's. First radio control models in '47, with home-made "Aeromodeller" XFG1 thyratron Rx and 6J6 Tx. Then national service, varsity, marriage, etc took precedence. Started R/C again with the proportional revolution in '68. Moved from Coventry University, UK, to Natal University, Durban, South Africa in '72. Now retired on the Eastern Cape coast at Jeffreys Bay, a world-renowned surfing spot.

My interests are catholic with over 40 models ranging from Fast Electrics/Brushless/LiPoly through Pattern and Scale to Large Scale Aerobatics with a Cardan Giles 202.
Tony Streather is offline Find More Posts by Tony Streather
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 05-05-2006, 04:34 PM
Find More Posts by Boulder
It's official, thanks Verne...
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Jan 2006
11,247 Posts
Re: Hello from South Africa

Hey Tony,

It's great to have you here!!

It sounds like you have enough experience to start your own forum!! Your vast knowledge could come in very handy with some of the questions that are asked here. I hope you have the time to browse around and get involved with some of the threads, it would be great to here your perspective as a long time modeler.

Welcome to the Giants!!!
Boulder is offline Find More Posts by Boulder
Old 05-08-2006, 10:17 AM
Find More Posts by Gus155
Kommetjie Cape Town South Africa
Joined Jan 2006
976 Posts

Hey tony, welcome a fellow south african.
Cheers, from SLAAPSTAD
Gus155 is offline Find More Posts by Gus155
Old 05-08-2006, 11:10 AM
Find More Posts by steven
Joined Mar 2006
112 Posts

hi tony welcome to the giants its nice to see some more guys from south africa on this site

steven

gauteng
plek van goud
steven is offline Find More Posts by steven
Old 05-08-2006, 06:34 PM
Find More Posts by selwyn
Canada
Joined Jan 2006
132 Posts

Guys...it's good to see all the South African's joining this site. I am from Cape Town and have been in Canada for 5 years...still visit there often and know a lot of the guys from Helderberg, Tygerberg and Cape Radio Flyers as I used to fly with all of them....really enjoyed my flying there especially the away events like Langebaan etc. Let me know what's happening there in the flying circle. and maybe I'll be flying with you guys sometime in the future.

Regards

Selwyn (ou aap van die Kaap)
selwyn is offline Find More Posts by selwyn
Old 05-08-2006, 07:29 PM
Find More Posts by Kiwi
Chile, Antofagasta, Antofagasta Province
Joined Jan 2006
5,983 Posts

Guys.

I can't tell you how glad I am to see you finding the place. One on my dreams with this site and thus one of my reasons to be deeply involved is to get it to be THE!!! INTERNATIONAL RC aero web site. I'm not going to slam the others but here I know we can do it better.

The video contest is coming up and that is a true challenge to even the most gifted guys. And yes the prizes this year are going to blow you off the roof. And yes they will ship international as well. So get out your foamies, gas or glowies and start having some fun, then share it.

You guys in South Africa have some freakin fantastic airshows and events and they hardly ever make it onto the outside for everyone to see. Guys amongst you if you can shoot some good photos, do some write ups we put them front and center for the world to see.

If you have any big events coming up post them in the threads or use the events calendar so everyone can see whats up on your end guys. You would be surprised just how many of the guys on the site travel for business or pleasure, or drive the heavies around the place. You never know who will turn up if they know where to look.

If you want your own hang out you are welcome to do what the Aussie guys have done and have your own general keep in touch thread. You know SARC down under or something.

Most of all however I hope you guys enjoy the place and join in. The more the merrier and the more we share across international boundries the better it is for the hobby, or is it addiction.

Anyway guys I 've ratted on enough here. I must get over to the rugby heaven site to see if the Crusaders are kickin any SA butt this week.

Cheers and hope to come see you guys one of these days.

Kiwi.
Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Kiwi
Old 05-09-2006, 02:22 AM
Find More Posts by damien
In Thrust We Trust
Cape Town South Africa
Joined Jan 2006
367 Posts

Welcome Tony, from another South African !!
damien is offline Find More Posts by damien
Old 05-09-2006, 06:14 AM
Joined Jan 2006
976 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by damien
Welcome Tony, from another South African !!
Hey Damien How things going? Havnt been flying any power for a while now, just been doing some electrics stuff and quite a bit on the slope. did you manage to get the wing tube for your extra? Might go out to the vlei on sunday weather permitting.

Cheers.

Gus
Old 05-09-2006, 09:41 AM
Find More Posts by damien
In Thrust We Trust
Cape Town South Africa
Joined Jan 2006
367 Posts

Hey Gus. Yep, I managed to find a tube for my extra, a bit heavier than the original but plane flew the same even with the extra weight and all the repairs. I will be at the vlei this weekend, I need to practice for the giant scale comp in Worcester.
Maybe see ya there...
damien is offline Find More Posts by damien
Old 05-09-2006, 10:29 AM
Find More Posts by adrian
Israel, Tel Aviv
Joined Jan 2006
2,931 Posts

hey dudes - i was born in krugersdorp!! SA - lived in randburg/sandton and houtbaai - now Tel aviv

miss the table and the wind!! welcome Tony - the gaints rock!!!
adrian is offline Find More Posts by adrian
Old 05-09-2006, 11:05 AM
Joined Jan 2006
976 Posts

Hey Kiwi, my local side that sucks at the moment (The Stormers), managed to beat the crusaders last week end in the super 14, but they beat some other SA side on saturday. Theyve been playing KAK, to say the least, but pulled something out the bag against the guys from Cantebury,the stormers that would be.
Old 10-14-2008, 02:05 PM
Find More Posts by berepos
Agulhas Aviation
Cape Agulhas, South Africa
Joined Oct 2008
10 Posts

Yebo, from Cape Agulhas and enjoy RC down here. Cheers
berepos is offline Find More Posts by berepos