logo
Old 02-25-2013, 12:45 AM
Find More Posts by skyrock
Joined Dec 2009
95 Posts
Quote:
from AT:
The Maxima transceiver is not compatible with the existing module.
User must select the RX type when binding, copy of Mike's 9X Rx selection/range test/scanning screen attached..
Now I get a little confused ! Why are the Maximas transceivers if they are not capable of doing telemetry??

I would call them receivers!

Juergen
skyrock is offline Find More Posts by skyrock
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 02-25-2013, 03:40 PM
Find More Posts by A.T.
New Zealand
Joined Oct 2008
302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wshall View Post
My aurora 9 randomly does nothing when I turn it on.
No response from the transmitter. I have to remove the battery to get it to boot up.
I just updated to the new op-software. Any ideas?
More annoying than anything else. WSHall
. Aurora 9 - Off/On Switch problem or Screen does not Display?

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
A.T. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:46 PM
Find More Posts by A.T.
New Zealand
Joined Oct 2008
302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyrock View Post
Now I get a little confused ! Why are the Maximas transceivers if they are not capable of doing telemetry??I would call them receivers !Juergen
That was a mistake, since corrected. Tks

Alan T.

("Hitec Maxima = Low Latency/Non-Telemetric Receiver")
Old 03-01-2013, 12:06 AM
Find More Posts by wshall
Flyin' Around
Joined Oct 2009
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.T. View Post
The screen does not come on and the power light does not come on. No indication that the switch position has been pushed to on.
wshall is offline Find More Posts by wshall
Old 03-01-2013, 07:19 AM
Find More Posts by jjvb
Joined Jul 2009
25 Posts
Mine did the same thing a few times. Turned the switch on and nothing. Hasn't done it again in over a year. Hitec said to send it in and they would check/replace the switch. Never got around to doing it. It never has quit once on and the problem seems to have gone away.
jjvb is offline Find More Posts by jjvb
Old 03-01-2013, 03:11 PM
Find More Posts by A.T.
New Zealand
Joined Oct 2008
302 Posts
Quote:
The screen does not come on and the power light does not come on. No indication that the switch position has been pushed to on.
Please show country of domicile within your profile, will help as answers often differ between countries.
What happened after you removed the battery, cycled the switch on/off, then replaced the battery?
Check the battery does have min 7.2v no load, then try again.
(Have had one referred where the battery was to low for display to activate...)

Otherwise, not a simple switch to replace, board as pictured not available as a retail item.
Besides may not even be a switch problem, contact your distributor:

. Hitec Warranty & Service - homepage.
Note: Hitec USA only services North/South America and Canada.
"Hitec USA customer service department is available Monday through Friday*
from 7am- 4:30 pm Pacific time. Reach us at 858.748.8440 or
service@hitecrcd.com any time you have a question"
• If you are from a country that is outside North and South America, please contact the
Hitec distributor in your country for service.

Alan T.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:08 PM
Find More Posts by wshall
Flyin' Around
Joined Oct 2009
5 Posts
Haven't figured out how to indicate my domicile but I'm in tell USA. The problem seems to have gone away -which scares me... Electrical problems don't just go away. If it begins to happen again, I'll jump back online.

Thanks guys. WSHall
wshall is offline Find More Posts by wshall
Old 03-03-2013, 02:50 AM
Find More Posts by A.T.
New Zealand
Joined Oct 2008
302 Posts
Quote:
Haven't figured out how to indicate my domicile but I'm in tell USA. The problem seems to have gone away -which scares me... Electrical problems don't just go away. If it begins to happen again, I'll jump back online. Thanks guys. WSHall
"IIf it begins to happen again, 'll jump back online"

Please re-read the information made available under posts #5972and #5976
above as nothing will be gained by further posts online.
In need, contact service dept direct as per reference provided post 5976.

Alan T.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:16 PM
Find More Posts by GizmoMadMax
MadMax Engineer
United States, PA
Joined May 2008
504 Posts
Latency in Hitec A9 vs other Radio's & CPU's vs XPS?

Hello,
Not sure if this has been mentioned here, but allow me to ask it....

I met a decent fellow at the Lebanon show this past weekend, and he gave what seemed like excellent information and testing from his upper NJ flying crew and R/C club and he stated 3DHS company also, claiming that 3DHS no longer uses the A9 module, but they use the A9 Tx and replace the 2.4 module with the XPS module for a few reasons....???

Here is what he & they claim & claim 3DHS claims this also...???
1. They state that the A9 CPU was on the cheap and the XPS company module did not go cheap on the CPU, so it can process faster and thus no latency like the oem A9, is this true???
2. The A9 is out of programming space, so Hitec can not make any more fixes ???
3. The A9 Telemetry is what is also killing the performance and thus more latency???
4. The new A9 (A9x) has no telemetry because Hitec will not run a faster CPU to remove the latency, so they will strip the telemetry and take away our great battery feedback :-(

He was saying that XPS has awesome technology and a new radio system coming out to over shadow all the others (just repeating what it was told, i have no idea ).

So can you all fill me/us in, us curious folks out here?

Thanks again
GizmoMadMax is offline Find More Posts by GizmoMadMax
Old 03-13-2013, 08:38 PM
Find More Posts by tande
United States, MI, Millington
Joined Sep 2008
1,832 Posts
Been using the "XPS" A9 module for sometime now......absolutely love the combo.....FWIW
tande is offline Find More Posts by tande
Old 03-14-2013, 12:39 AM
MadMax Engineer
United States, PA
Joined May 2008
504 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tande View Post
Been using the "XPS" A9 module for sometime now......absolutely love the combo.....FWIW
Oh cool, never heard of it, i will have to goggle it.
How many years or months have you been flying it?
What type of aircraft do you trust with the combo? Electrics, Giant Scale gas??

Thanks
Old 03-14-2013, 03:19 AM
Find More Posts by A.T.
New Zealand
Joined Oct 2008
302 Posts
Hitec Aurora 9X

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoMadMax View Post
Hello,
Not sure if this has been mentioned here, but allow me to ask it....
I met a decent fellow at the Lebanon show this past weekend, and he gave what seemed like excellent information and testing from his upper NJ flying crew and R/C club and he stated 3DHS company also, claiming that 3DHS no longer uses the A9 module, but they use the A9 Tx and replace the 2.4 module with the XPS module for a few reasons....???
Here is what he & they claim & claim 3DHS claims this also...???
1. They state that the A9 CPU was on the cheap and the XPS company module did not go cheap on the CPU, so it can process faster and thus no latency like the oem A9, is this true???
2. The A9 is out of programming space, so Hitec can not make any more fixes ???
3. The A9 Telemetry is what is also killing the performance and thus more latency???
4. The new A9 (A9x) has no telemetry because Hitec will not run a faster CPU to remove the latency, so they will strip the telemetry and take away our great battery feedback :-(
He was saying that XPS has awesome technology and a new radio system coming out to over shadow all the others (just repeating what it was told, i have no idea ).
So can you all fill me/us in, us curious folks out here?
Thanks again
Please refer existing FG thread:
Hitec Aurora 9X - extracts:. <snip>
. "The current system is capped at nine but we are working to expand this in the future".

:That is correct. Hitec is also working on expanding our model line so expect to see many more models available in the future that utilize this protocol.-Mike."
. It will be 4096 resolution with the Optima RX's as well. The latency is cut in half (21ms frame)when using the Optima RX's with the 9X and then cuts it 66% more when using the Maxima (7ms) making it of of the fastest radios available. More channels: We know... However, it wasn't an option at this time with the current platform but we are working on this for the future. - Mike.
. "Perception is a strong factor for some people. "Most" people will not notice the difference in latency and resolution but that doesn't mean they don't think they need it. However, high level pilots will benefit as it brings the performance level up to, or better, than the top radios on the market! Unfortunately we are currently limited to 9 channels but making the new radio faster with more resolution was possible so we did it... what would you all be saying if we didn't? Damned it you do... damned if you don't I guess! - Mike.

Latency:
. The latency is essentially cut in half when using the Optima Rx's and when using the new Maxima (non telemetry) RX it is 66% faster than that! 4096 Resolution as well! Dual processors are used so that the RF has one dedicated just to it.
SLT will open it up to a larger BnF market. - Mike. "
. "FYI: The reason the A9 latency has high was because of the decoding on the TX side from the gimbal to output the signal. The single processor also had to operate the programming and the signal where now they each have a dedicated processor.The 9X elimiates this cutting the frame rate with the Optima RX in half (Down to 19ms.) When using the Non telemetry Maxima RX, the Frame rate is even lower at 7ms (Actually tested at 5.5ms!) - Mike."

Pricing (already on Tower Hobbies and others):
. Price and availability will be announced in the near future.
The system will be sold in a few different configurations. The Maxima Rx is for those that are looking for the absolute lowest latency. The original A9 will not be compatible with the Maxima.
Another feature is auto switch select which sets the switch by moving it when in the menu.
The toggle switch does also work as on only when held when selected for the timer.
Flight counter: Counts the flights on a particular model by either power on, switch, or timer.
SLT: Compatible with any TX-R model made by G.P. or any company that utilizes the protocol which we expect to expand significantly. Hitec will not offer a stand alone SLT RX but future BnF "Hitec" branded models (Many more planned) will utilize it thus keeping the cost down.
I'll post some screen shots of some of the new things shortly. - Mike."

Q&A:
. "The following are all the relevant A9X Q&A on all forums to date:" <SNIP> - Alan T.

Due date:
We expect first shipment to be available within our distribution area mid June 2013.

Copies of the attachments added to the Aurora FAQ page, some time ago, are attached hereto.
(links to pdf of the 2013 catalogue are top of the FAQ page)

12 June 2013
Further to post dated 02 Feb 2013:Aurora 9X Details item 4, have just learnt as follows:
Aurora 9X Does Not Support head Tracking as yet
"While I was told that the A9X would have this capability, it did not work in our pre-production samples so I asked our engineers to look at this more closely. The conclusion is that it is a hardware issue due to the fact that the Aurora trainer interface had to be backwards compatible with the older Hitec radios, so unfortunately it will not be head tracking capable. My apologies! - Mike "

Alan T.
Last edited by A.T.; 06-11-2013 at 10:59 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:42 AM
Find More Posts by tande
United States, MI, Millington
Joined Sep 2008
1,832 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoMadMax View Post
Oh cool, never heard of it, i will have to goggle it.
How many years or months have you been flying it?
What type of aircraft do you trust with the combo? Electrics, Giant Scale gas??

Thanks
I currently use it in three different "Pilot RC" 100cc airframes.....you can see it here....
tande is offline Find More Posts by tande
Old 03-16-2013, 08:10 PM
MadMax Engineer
United States, PA
Joined May 2008
504 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.T. View Post
Please refer existing FG thread:
Hitec Aurora 9X - extracts:. <snip>
. It will be 4096 resolution with the Optima RX's as well. The latency is cut in half (21ms frame)when using the Optima RX's with the 9X and then cuts it 66% more when using the Maxima (7ms) making it of of the fastest radios available. More channels: We know... However, it wasn't an option at this time with the current platform but we are working on this for the future. - Mike.

Latency:
. The latency is essentially cut in half when using the Optima Rx's and when using the new Maxima (non telemetry) RX it is 66% faster than that! 4096 Resolution as well! Dual processors are used so that the RF has one dedicated just to it.
SLT will open it up to a larger BnF market. - Mike. "

Alan T.
Alan T., Once again you are awesome!!
It is great when professional R/C folks and Aircraft builders and suppliers show awesome skills and respect, Kudo's to you once again!!!

We will digest the info, great info and links, very nice!!!
Old 04-09-2013, 12:31 AM
MadMax Engineer
United States, PA
Joined May 2008
504 Posts
Help, I am trying to nail down how to setup my new plane with the A9 / optic 7 ot Optic 9???

I am asking around and researching, and I wanted your opinion on my shinny new AeroWorks Extra 260 QB with an 80cc ZDZ in it. http://aero-works.net/store/detail.aspx?ID=298

Allow me to tap all your expertise and ask you a few questions?

#1. Can I use a optic 7 channel receiver, or should i strictly use a optic 9 channel Rx on a gasser due to dual antenna's of the 9 channel optic 9?

#2. The Hitec Team showed their setup last year at JoeNall, and i think they said, to go ahead and forget using my Smart-Fly, and simply use my receiver and i can NOT remeber their setup, it was simple and no smartfly???????

Here is my servo setup:
* x2 - Aileron = One servo per wing JR DS8411 (155/188oz)
* x2 - Split elevator JR DS8411 (155/188oz)
* x1 - Only one servo on Rudder Hitec HS-7955TG (250/333oz)
* x1 - Throttle Hitec HS-625MG (76/94oz)
6 Servo's Total

I am somewhat confused, so here it goes:

Some say never fly A123 due to NO battery metering, it falls off all of a sudden when discharge.
They say A123 becuase you can forget the added complexity of more stuff to fail, like regulators.
Save the weight of regulators and smart-flys and take the small risk and high power of A123....

#2 Some still fly NiMH (and some with low impedence NiMH), is this still good with low impedance NoBS batteries like the 2700 Series A, low weight & high power?

#3 Some Lipo's but voltage drop to much across the flying time span, thus less performane as Lipo runs down, and a fire hazard... (but need regulators)

#4 Some say Lithium ION is BEST, due to voltage gas gauge, where A123 is a guessing game until you kind of figure out time to fly to mah useage.(but need regulators)

gee whiz, which one of the following batt/switch & regulator combos would you all recommend? Sounds like most fly A123, i guess this would be due to no regulators needed?????

Now, i must say, I have been a smart-fly user, so leaving the safe reducancy is scary.... Unless wolverine switches do the same and are just as reliable?????

A)
A123 Fromeco Power setup
55 Iron Corps Extreme 2300 with On Board Balancer installed #1
55 Iron Corps Extreme 2300 with On Board Balancer installed #2
45 Tech-Aero Ibec to run ignition (hmmm, i supose no Y harness, but order an additional lead from wolverine for this??????????)
60 Wolverine Fault tolerant switch
215 total

B)
Optional Fromeco Wolverine Lithium ION Power setup ( NOT A123 )
60 Wolverine Fault tolerant switch
45 Sahara Voltage Regulator #1
45 Sahara Voltage Regulator #2
34 2600 ION 5cell #1
34 2600 ION 5cell #2
34 NoBS NiMH 2700 Series 'A' Size Light Weight Rx / Ignition Pack or tech-aero IBEC
252 Total

C)
Optional NoBS NiMH 2700 Series 'A' Size Light Weight Rx / Ignition Pack
80 Rx 5-Cell Batteries 6.5oz – NiMH 2700 $40 each x 2 (17 mOhm)
35 4-Cell Ignition Battery NiMH 2700mah (Not 2000) 5.2oz
0 Smart fly Power Expander Sport Plus w/ Optical Ignition Cutofff
0 Pin & Flag Failsafe & Charge Pkg
115 Total

D)
Optionally, Use my 3 year old Original NiMH 2000 Setup & Smart-flt Power Expander Sport Plus & optical cutoff & pin/flag switch ??
I assume the NiMh voltage sage is the worst of the other chemistries...? Is this still reliable? (I assume only 2 or 3 or 4 flights?)
Hobbico HydriMax 2000mah 5 cell on Smartfly & 2 of these packs.
Hobbico HydriMax 2000mah 4 cell on ignition
$0 cost Total (can steal out of my other plane )

E) forget Lipo or Life for a gasser ????
Life is a A123 anyways...?

Thank you in advance for the tech support
:-)

Quick Reply