Welcome to The FlyingGiants! - please login or click this bar to join our community...

Welcome to The FlyingGiants Community! We're all about fun, and inside you'll find the greatest, friendliest, and most helpful group of people around! If this is your first time visiting, please check out site, and click here to sign up! We hope to see you soon!!

Go Back   FlyingGiants > Vendors > Smart-Fly Support
Forgot your password? Create a new account

Old 04-22-2012, 12:28 AM   #1
spwtfpwn
Gettin' Lower!

Default Is my Comp 12 Turbo cooked????

I was adjusting the servo output voltage by shorting the "up" pin to the center pin. I checked the output voltage after adjustment with a meter and was not getting an increase in voltage. After repeating this a few times, when checking the voltage I inadvertently shorted a servo lead with my multimeter. I now get rx power but nothing to the servos. Am I going to have to buy another comp 12?
spwtfpwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:01 AM   #2
2robinhood
Move the rudder what way ?????

Just send it to Smartfly.
If they built it, they can fix it.
Futaba 14SG
2robinhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:18 AM   #3
rrritchey
Super Contributor

Quote: Originally Posted by spwtfpwn
View Post
I was adjusting the servo output voltage by shorting the "up" pin to the center pin. I checked the output voltage after adjustment with a meter and was not getting an increase in voltage. After repeating this a few times, when checking the voltage I inadvertently shorted a servo lead with my multimeter. I now get rx power but nothing to the servos. Am I going to have to buy another comp 12?
If no printed circuit board traces were damaged we should be able to fix it. Probably about $50.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:25 PM   #4
maddogfinnegan
Flyin' Around

I just did the same thing to my Comp 12. what was the reply from smart fly?
maddogfinnegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:48 AM   #5
Bill Vargas
3W Flyer

Default Changing Servo Voltage

Here's a cool tool to have when changing your Smartfly voltage to your servos,,, a simple push button switch soldered up to a servo lead. This button switch only makes contact when pushed and opens back up when released. plug it in to increase voltage or reverse the plug to decrease voltage. I found this switch at Radio Shack for a couple of bucks and its the perfect tool to have
Attached Thumbnails
  • Click image for larger version

Name:	switch.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	537510 40.0 KB · Views: 49

http://www.falconpropellers.com/
http://aircraftinternational.com/
Bill Vargas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:05 AM   #6
rrritchey
Super Contributor

Hi,
Nice Bill. I think most of the issues of shorting a unit out happen because they try to use volt meter leads in the servo outputs and short across power and ground. I have rarely seen an issue with the adjustment pins. Best practice is to use a servo plug in the servo output on the PowerSystem and then plug that into your meter. You can get banana plugs at Radio Shack.

Quote: Originally Posted by Bill Vargas
View Post
Here's a cool tool to have when changing your Smartfly voltage to your servos,,, a simple push button switch soldered up to a servo lead. This button switch only makes contact when pushed and opens back up when released. plug it in to increase voltage or reverse the plug to decrease voltage. I found this switch at Radio Shack for a couple of bucks and its the perfect tool to have