logo
Old 08-06-2013, 03:15 PM
Find More Posts by lawnpro979
Joined Nov 2012
228 Posts
Discussion
another rolling harrier thread

hey all:

Wondering if you set your plane up with full throws except alirones ?

It seems I get spinning too fast. and if I slowed down the spin it may help,

Just courious on how others do it .

thanks
lawnpro979 is offline Find More Posts by lawnpro979
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 08-06-2013, 03:33 PM
Find More Posts by jace
Yak Attack
United States, UT, Cedar City
Joined Mar 2011
395 Posts
Can't you just put the rudder and elevator on high rate and keep the ailerons on low rate?
jace is offline Find More Posts by jace
Old 08-06-2013, 03:35 PM
Find More Posts by husker
Riley O'Brien
United States, NE, Lincoln
Joined Oct 2008
2,813 Posts
Yes...But you should really leave it and just get your nose up more. If it is rolling too fast you aren't doing a "harrier roll" you are just rolling.
husker is offline Find More Posts by husker
Old 08-06-2013, 03:36 PM
Find More Posts by BOSSIER_ROB
Still Draggin' 'Em
United States, LA, Bossier City
Joined Mar 2007
6,809 Posts
You're flying too fast. Slow it down and get the nose up. It'll roll very slowly even with full ailerons when in a true harrier roll.
BOSSIER_ROB is offline Find More Posts by BOSSIER_ROB
Old 08-06-2013, 03:38 PM
Find More Posts by futile flight
stick banger
United States, FL, Plant City
Joined Jul 2011
1,627 Posts
RUDDER !!! 8 P IS how you control your speed
futile flight is offline Find More Posts by futile flight
Old 08-06-2013, 03:42 PM
Find More Posts by Flatlandman
Your my boy Blue!!!1
Lexington Kentucky U.S.A.
Joined Jan 2006
4,698 Posts
Yes like the other said slow it down before starting your roll with the nose up. The other thing is you dont have to have fulblown XFC style throw on your ailerons like 45-55° as a beginning 3Der you can start at 35-40° You wont have as much authority in the stall but it wont get away from you as fast.
Flatlandman is offline Find More Posts by Flatlandman
Old 08-06-2013, 03:44 PM
Joined Nov 2012
228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSSIER_ROB View Post
You're flying too fast. Slow it down and get the nose up. It'll roll very slowly even with full ailerons when in a true harrier roll.

Ok Thx.. .

it seems there's a fine line on nose up. sometimes I end up with a hover.

Been at it now for about 4 months. it seems there are NO short cuts.

just trying to get that edge.

thanks again
Old 08-06-2013, 04:11 PM
Find More Posts by yakwards
Check it bleed,bro was on.
United States, VA, Hampton
Joined Apr 2010
2,477 Posts
check out the speed of the plane,for a rolling harrier this is pretty fast but it is a 64 inch wingspan so the smaller ones will roll a little faster.My 103 Extra rolls so lazy & slow it looks like slow motion sometimes.Nose up,full aileron,down elevator,opposite rudder,up elevator,repeat.Its a rhythmic thing that takes time.

64 MXS huckin (5 min 5 sec)
yakwards is offline Find More Posts by yakwards
Old 08-06-2013, 04:18 PM
Joined Nov 2012
228 Posts
WOW that is fast.

yes the h9 suhkoi is the SE edition I think the wing span is 90"
But I seen to get outta rythem, and or simply timeing.

thanks for video
Old 12-31-2013, 02:54 AM
Find More Posts by DanielIsbell
My wife thinks I'm at work!
United States, CO, Eaton
Joined Jan 2013
216 Posts
im working on this also...on the sim. I agree with the above advice that once you get that nose way up in the air, the rolling speed slows way down, even with all the surfaces on HIGH rates.

The slower rolling speed really makes it more "possible" to start trying to control heading/bearing/direction, as appose to always circling while rolling harrier.

I have about got it figured out to fly in a strait line. For example, i like to put the bird out there on BASE LEG and start a rolling harrier, make the 90deg turn to runway heading just over the tarmack and fly a rolling harrier right over the entire runway.

i am finding difficulty when after my runway run, i want to either climb and turn-around, or do a tear-drop turnaround. and come back over the runway and do it again going the opposite direction...all while never stopping the rolling harrier maneuver.

I am really having a hard time mastering the rolling harrier when forcing the plane to circle (make a turn) in the same direction as the roll. For example, if I am using LEFT aileron for the rolling harrier, it is a piece of cake to make the airplane to a RIGHT hand turn. But if you want that sucker to do a LEFT hand turn, while doing a LEFT rolling harrier...that kills me all the time!
DanielIsbell is offline Find More Posts by DanielIsbell
Old 12-31-2013, 08:10 AM
Find More Posts by Phil Griffin
Sponsored by my wife & girls
United States, AL, Mountain Brook
Joined Jun 2008
10,276 Posts
Subscribed..
Phil Griffin is offline Find More Posts by Phil Griffin
Old 01-05-2014, 09:24 PM
Find More Posts by lizzardman
United States, MD, Riva
Joined Apr 2010
376 Posts
I'm still learning the rolling harrier also but what the others said seems to help me, keeping the nose up.
The funny thing in my case is my circle usually goes in the opposite direction of everyone else. In other words, if I roll left the plane turns left. People tell me "hey that's awesome, I wish I could do that. How do you do it?"

I tell them I have no idea, it just does.

Another thing that seems to help me is using down elevator sooner than I think it needs it (when inverted). I'm getting better but still need lots of work.
lizzardman is offline Find More Posts by lizzardman
Old 01-05-2014, 09:27 PM
Find More Posts by lizzardman
United States, MD, Riva
Joined Apr 2010
376 Posts
One more thought...if you find yourself climbing out to a hover you're probably over controlling it (too much input). I was doing this every time I tried and my son suggested less inputs. It really helped.
lizzardman is offline Find More Posts by lizzardman
Old 01-05-2014, 11:02 PM
Find More Posts by Huckin Chuck
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Dec 2011
3,287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielIsbell View Post
I am really having a hard time mastering the rolling harrier when forcing the plane to circle (make a turn) in the same direction as the roll. For example, if I am using LEFT aileron for the rolling harrier, it is a piece of cake to make the airplane to a RIGHT hand turn. But if you want that sucker to do a LEFT hand turn, while doing a LEFT rolling harrier...that kills me all the time!
This is a very sensitive task to master. The reason is this. When you are rolling right and turning left (opposites) you are adding inputs early. So when the plane is upright, you have the left rudder input a bit early which makes the plane turn left. When in left KE, you have that down input a bit early again making the plane turn left. And etc, etc for all attitudes. People tend to lag a bit on inputs especially when learning as they are catching up with the plane sometimes. This is important because if you are a bit late on the inputs while turning opposite the roll, the circle simply increases in radius and the plane still stays aloft fine.
Now for the rolling right turning right (same direction). In this scenario, you are adding inputs late. So if you are upright, you have right rudder, making the plane go right. And if you and if you are in left KE, you have some up elevator, again making the plane then right. But like I said earlier, people (if their timing is going to be off) tend to be a bit late. Since your inputs are already delayed, any further delay from reaction time will cause the plane to go down.
Normally if you are rolling right and going straight, you will have up elevator when upright followed by left rudder when in left KE. If you are rolling right turning right, that up elevator input needs to come closer to the left KE attitude. But if you are late, the plane will have passed that left KE and gone inverted. If your late up elevator input happens when the plane is past left KE, you will have pulled up while inverted. Not a good combination haha.
So there is a very small window to put the correct inputs. Too early and the plane stays straight. Too late and it hits the dirt. This is in contrast to rolling right turning left where too late makes the plane climb (not such a bad thing).

Hope this helps.
Huckin Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Huckin Chuck
Last edited by Huckin Chuck; 01-05-2014 at 11:09 PM.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:11 AM
Find More Posts by TazmanianDevil
No Guts No Glory!
Israel, Jerusalem District, Jerusalem
Joined Jan 2006
1,728 Posts
start with knife edge both sides in and out.
then do a slow roll both sides in and out.
then do a knife edge turn in circle both sides in and out.
then start making a 90 degries turn with roll, 180 with roll 270 and 360.
rolling to the left but turning to the left will be much easier to do well on my experience only some will say the opposite, the same with right rolling on a right turn AKA in side roll and turn.

with all that being said, youl need to burn a lot of Gal.

Good luck.
TazmanianDevil is offline Find More Posts by TazmanianDevil

Quick Reply