logo
Old 05-25-2007, 07:58 AM
Find More Posts by Wilko
Joined May 2007
6 Posts
Great Planes 1/3 Pitts

G'Day,

Has anyone been involved or know of someone who has set up a Great Planes 1/3 scale Pitts? I'm just about to fly mine for the first time and need some advice on what to expect. I'm running a DL-50 up front swinning a 23 by 8 JXF prop. Any advice would be helpfull. Cheers!
Wilko is offline Find More Posts by Wilko
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 05-25-2007, 08:05 AM
Find More Posts by rcdart
Would be, if I could be
QLD Australia
Joined Jan 2006
4,186 Posts
Re: Great Planes 1/3 Pitts

See the link below, Michael's fly's well, he may have some advice
http://www.scaleaeros.com.au/default.aspx?Pg=8&Item=403

BTW, welcome to Giants, see the Giants Downunder thread for heaps of Aussie input.
rcdart is offline Find More Posts by rcdart
Old 05-25-2007, 12:29 PM
Find More Posts by leelee
Knife Edge
United States, NC, Lumberton
Joined Oct 2006
1,138 Posts

I am flying the GP Pitts with a First Place 3.2. It is awesome. The AOW on mine is about 17lbs. It is so light for the engine that the plane comes in a little hot. But once you get the timing down on your touch down it is nice. I am using the Vess 22A. To slow it down a little on the down line. I am getting use to landing it now i may move back up to the 22-10 which I think in the vess prop it is a 22-C. The 22A has alot of pull but lacks the speed to various things. Anymore questions I will help out anyway possible.

"Fly It Like You Stole It"
leelee is offline Find More Posts by leelee
Old 06-01-2007, 06:32 AM
Find More Posts by whers my finger
australia
Joined Apr 2007
55 Posts

wilco i have a great planes christian eagle flys well however where do i start. originaly i had a moki 210 in mine these are the problems i encounterd 1 top wing to cabane bracket broke maiden flight replaced with aluminium broke again replaced with stainless steel then the top of cabane broke off replaced with duralium and 3mm high tensil bolts ,hasent broken science. if you are using servos in top wing expect aeleron hinges to break have tried 2.5inch wide ca hinges broke robart pin hinges broke large scale robart dril in hinges broke now using steel hinges havent broken yet this isnt only my model that this is hapening to know of 3 others if you find all of a sudden you have to put in heaps of down trim land causasly imeaditly as top wing is about to part company plane will porpase badly
whers my finger is offline Find More Posts by whers my finger
Old 06-01-2007, 07:07 AM
Find More Posts by mugwings
Flyin' Around
Hobart
Joined Sep 2006
3 Posts

Hi there. I have this beauty with a fuji 50 (and some appropriate beefing up of firewall). I put the battery pack in the tail to obtain the correct COG without having to add balance weights. It was my first gas plane so was a bit nervous about the maiden, but it is the most docile larger scale plane i've flown. Have many flights on it, and take-offs and landings are entirely predictable. The plane will hover at about 3/4 throttle and looks great. Only regret to date is that it doesn't smoke - needs to be added when funds permit.
mugwings is offline Find More Posts by mugwings
Old 06-02-2007, 07:09 PM
Find More Posts by Wilko
Joined May 2007
6 Posts

Thanks for the feedback guys, the beast flew last weekend for the first time and performed really well. It's got bucket loads of power with the 50cc up front. Although now I'm having trouble with the throttle servo blowing up. It's mounted above the stand-off engine mounts on a bracket. It also sits above the CDI module. So I think this is why the servo is failing. Can anyone confirm this? I'm kind of learning as I go!!! Thanks again.
Wilko is offline Find More Posts by Wilko
Old 07-10-2007, 05:07 PM
Find More Posts by mikemaree
Flyin Around Auz
Australia
Joined May 2007
322 Posts

Hi Wilco, I have had my GP PITTS for around 2 years now and it flies fantastic with no problems at all. I have a 3w 42 up front swinging a 22 x 10 bolly at it pulss it around the sky with ease. I did strengthen the fire wall and my throttle servo is inside the fuz away from the ignition have had no problems at all. I built as it come out of the box have not changed hinges or anything.
I keep the speed on for landing just dont let it get to slow.
Cheers Mike
mikemaree is offline Find More Posts by mikemaree
Old 09-18-2010, 06:02 PM
Find More Posts by Deacon
Joined Sep 2010
2 Posts

All sound good to go just watch out at take off a turn to your left I build the Pitts 1/3 scale from scratch and built 9 of them for my club members had 2 myself one with Zenoah 45 with 22 x8and the other with the 62 each fly well .
they all fly just a bit faster than walking pace wheight from 17lb to 22lb depended on how far you go with scale.
Have fun its a great plane
Deacon is offline Find More Posts by Deacon
Old 09-18-2010, 06:18 PM
Find More Posts by vmceachern
You can't fix STUPID
Texas City, Tx
Joined Dec 2008
4,505 Posts

Check those wing incidences,I had one of the first run of this kit and found the bottom wing to be about 5 degrees to negative. Could have been just the first run kits but I always check incidences on any ARF's? You just never know what kinda mood that Chinaman was in when it was assembled.
It did fly great though! 2cents
vmceachern is offline Find More Posts by vmceachern

Quick Reply