Welcome to The FlyingGiants! - please login or click this bar to join our community...

Welcome to The FlyingGiants Community! We're all about fun, and inside you'll find the greatest, friendliest, and most helpful group of people around! If this is your first time visiting, please check out site, and click here to sign up! We hope to see you soon!!

Go Back   FlyingGiants > Scale Airplanes and Techniques > Scale Build Project Logs
Forgot your password? Create a new account

Old 06-15-2014, 07:59 AM   #8116
reyn3545
Bad-ass Super Contributor!

I just ran across this.. had to go back a few pages and see what you did to get put in the corner. Now I know where the "Krazy" part came from.

On a lighter note, I think I got my problems resolved with the Moki 250 dying. It needed a voltage regulator on the ignition. I hope you get the demons worked out of your Moki pretty quickly... it's frustrating as hell to get a plane all built (even an ARF) and then keep it grounded with intermittent problems.
reyn3545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 03:24 PM   #8117
cbarnes0061

Karl I appreciate the offer but I unfortunately can't see that going well with the wife. "Hey babe legs make a 4-5 hour ride out west so I can see a rc airplane". We will be making a trip out that way at some point in the future anyways. She used to have family out that way and would like to visit the area again. Is there any touristy stuff to do out in that part of pa?

"Fly on Sunday rebuild on Monday"

You will be missed SleepyC http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=91372
cbarnes0061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 07:30 PM   #8118
japan3d
Mr. Cessna

Quote: Originally Posted by cbarnes0061
View Post
. Is there any touristy stuff to do out in that part of pa?
Yeah, high tailing it out of there. Just kidding, I've only been back there 5-6 times in the last 35 years, so I'm sure somethings have changed.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:18 PM   #8119
1biker2mike
Flyin' Around

Karl are you going to the B A M S again this year?
1biker2mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 08:49 PM   #8120
Krazy Karl

Quote: Originally Posted by 1biker2mike
View Post
Karl are you going to the B A M S again this year?
I kind of doubt it Mike. Our daughter is getting married 7 days after the BAMS and I just have to much to get done around the house with family coming in a few days before the wedding.

WWW.ACRONUT.COM WWW.AERO-WORKS.NET
Krazy Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 08:57 PM   #8121
Krazy Karl

Quote: Originally Posted by reyn3545
View Post
I just ran across this.. had to go back a few pages and see what you did to get put in the corner. Now I know where the "Krazy" part came from.

On a lighter note, I think I got my problems resolved with the Moki 250 dying. It needed a voltage regulator on the ignition. I hope you get the demons worked out of your Moki pretty quickly... it's frustrating as hell to get a plane all built (even an ARF) and then keep it grounded with intermittent problems.
Lol.. yeah you never know where my mind is and where it's planning on going.

Mike,
I really appreciate you contacting me off line and can't say enough about what you have found. Have you done more testing and is it 100% fixed? And would you mind sharing what regulator you ended up using and the voltage it regulates at?

If this indeed fixes mine as well this is a great find that may save some other guy down the road. 2 conclusive fixes would be huge.

Thanks man.

WWW.ACRONUT.COM WWW.AERO-WORKS.NET
Krazy Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 09:12 PM   #8122
reyn3545

I had the maiden today... 2 good flights, no troubles at all. I'm going to call it fixed.

I used a Smart-Fly regulator, I think they are permanently set at 5.2 volts.
Old 06-21-2014, 09:44 PM   #8123
vmceachern
You can't fix STUPID

Married! Congrats!
Old 06-22-2014, 01:16 PM   #8124
Pittsflyboy

Quote: Originally Posted by reyn3545
View Post
I had the maiden today... 2 good flights, no troubles at all. I'm going to call it fixed.

I used a Smart-Fly regulator, I think they are permanently set at 5.2 volts.

I'm glad that fixed your problem. On the other hand I can tell you that the very same regulator caused me a lot of trouble when I had one on my Mintor 220, I removed it and the engine ran fine. I was running A123's so I did not need to lower the voltage anyway. At first it did work but latter it had a failure, and when I bench tested it it did show the proper voltage output. Discarded it and no more problems. As with any devise failures are going to happen and I do love the products that Bob builds at Smart-Fly.

Tom

Quads Rock 220cc Four Banger
MINTOR

Pittsflyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 01:26 PM   #8125
reyn3545

I'm using A123's also, that's why I thought I could get by without the regulator.

I've been using Smart-Fly for years problem free, until I bought a Competition 12 board for my Pitts. It worked well for a week or so, then developed a problem where the one of the Deans Connectors on the board had an intermittent connection (solder crack). They replaced it with no problem, and like you said, any electronic device is going to have some percentage of failures.

If electronics didn't fail, I probably wouldn't have a job, so I guess it's not all bad!
Old 06-22-2014, 01:51 PM   #8126
rcpilot82
It's Sooo Fluffy!!

Quote: Originally Posted by Krazy Karl
View Post
Lol.. yeah you never know where my mind is and where it's planning on going.

Mike,
I really appreciate you contacting me off line and can't say enough about what you have found. Have you done more testing and is it 100% fixed? And would you mind sharing what regulator you ended up using and the voltage it regulates at?

If this indeed fixes mine as well this is a great find that may save some other guy down the road. 2 conclusive fixes would be huge.

Thanks man.

Karl, the one I gave you is set for 5.5v at the moment. just an FYI

Laser Cutting & Engraving Services
From Prototype to Production
rcpilot82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 02:13 PM   #8127
reyn3545

I think the old top-hat style ignitions are rated up to 5.7v.

If I have any more issues, assuming the plane is still in one piece, I think I'll upgrade to the new ignition. Goetz said that they are swapable on the 250. If the modules have the same intelligence as the Rainbow modules for the 150, they are a real step up. Blinking LED's can alert you to low voltage, over-revving, etc.. nice to have... but I'm not sure that these modules offer that. The new modules do still use the original coils inside the rear motor housing, but the rainbow module replaced all of that also.