Welcome to The FlyingGiants! - please login or click this bar to join our community...

Welcome to The FlyingGiants Community! We're all about fun, and inside you'll find the greatest, friendliest, and most helpful group of people around! If this is your first time visiting, please check out site, and click here to sign up! We hope to see you soon!!

Go Back   FlyingGiants > Giant Scale Planes > Gas Engines
Forgot your password? Create a new account

Old 09-12-2014, 01:11 PM   #4636
49dimes
My heads in the clouds not my;

EME has excellent support through its distributors. I recommend you try to have it repaired by one of them. I also would run synthetic oil 32:1 from the very first start. It seems you may have overheated the engine. A good starting point is 1.5 turns out on both needles. The Decathlon cowl if not properly baffled will cook an engine. All the air goes underneath the cylinders! I wanted to put an EME 70 in the 30% version but the EF 88" Edge has a spell on me. A high wing aerobat that you can lazily fly around and relax is very tempting. Good luck with your 120.
Old 09-12-2014, 05:32 PM   #4637
zippi
Super Contributor

Been looking at a Pilot RC 32% Decathlon. The EME 70 twin would be a nice engine for this plane. Anyone have this plane with a twin?
zippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 05:38 PM   #4638
stingray528i
Uber Contributor

Quote: Originally Posted by k.foster
View Post
I had been putting off flying my 40% Pilot RC Decathlon for about a year. I had put a new 120 in her and had been running her up at 40 - 1 for about 5 tanks. Finally got her in the air and after about a 5 min flight she dead sticked. No issues, landed with no problems. When I got t the plane I discovered that the engine had seized. Took the cylinders apart and one of the rings had torn apart the head. I guess I shouldn't have waited to long to fly her because I don't think I can get any warranty.
well if you purchased your engine from Mile High they give a 18 month warranty but after posting you broke in the engine with 40:1 with 5 tanks on the ground no less when the factory manual states 25:1 to 30:1 for break in you may have a problem
stingray528i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 08:03 PM   #4639
outofdenver
Gettin' Lower!

Quote: Originally Posted by k.foster
View Post
I had been putting off flying my 40% Pilot RC Decathlon for about a year. I had put a new 120 in her and had been running her up at 40 - 1 for about 5 tanks. Finally got her in the air and after about a 5 min flight she dead sticked. No issues, landed with no problems. When I got t the plane I discovered that the engine had seized. Took the cylinders apart and one of the rings had torn apart the head. I guess I shouldn't have waited to long to fly her because I don't think I can get any warranty.

Assuming its not a L.O.L. or excessive heat issue. If you bought it from us (Mile High RC) and you still have something left on the 18 month coverage please drop us a line. Even if you don't have coverage left we will work something out. The 5 tanks of flying you missed when ground running... sorry we do not have anything to help get those back.

If you did not but it from Mile High contact your seller most of us are pretty good about helping out all we can when ever we can.

On a side note the 70 twin and the 35 for now have a ceramic coated cylinder. Bumps the price a little but still an incredible value. Now if I can just keep them in stock for you guys.

www.milehighrc.com
outofdenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 10:19 PM   #4640
49dimes
My heads in the clouds not my;

Hey Mike,

I will hook up with you soon (month or so) for a 70 twin. The 60 Has been doing great with the new crank. Thanks for your outstanding support.
Old 09-13-2014, 09:28 AM   #4641
Muttdog
Bad-ass Super Contributor!

Quote: Originally Posted by 49dimes
View Post
Hey Mike,

The 60 Has been doing great with the new crank. Thanks for your outstanding support.
Yeah same here. Engine runs like a top with the updated parts. It's had several gallons run through it since the rebuild and runs perfect. Everyone at the field was impressed with the whole situation and it looks like we now have a 3rd Mile High EME 60 headed to the field in yet another H9 Carden Extra.
Muttdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 11:33 AM   #4642
funboy

My eme 120 from mile high has about 5 or 6 gallons through it now. More power than my jc 120 ever put out! I'll keep checking in. The jc shelled after 50 gallons, I hope this one lasts longer!
WWW.VITAL-RC.COM
funboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 11:37 AM   #4643
CropDuster
Gettin' Lower!

Quote: Originally Posted by zippi
View Post
Been looking at a Pilot RC 32% Decathlon. The EME 70 twin would be a nice engine for this plane. Anyone have this plane with a twin?
I have the plane with EME 60 and EME can, love the setup. I was going to add the 70 twin but I'm happy with this setup. Turns Xoar 24X8 Laminated 7300 which flies this plane the way I want, scale aerobatics and it doesn't make a lot of noise.
Old 09-13-2014, 01:04 PM   #4644
closetguy

the 60 I bought from MH is doing great after many gals.and still has the factory original crank.
CropDuster,your 60 is putting out some serious power,Xoar laminates really load a engine.
I still like Xoar 23-8 at 7300 with the factory side dump.
closetguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 01:21 AM   #4645
CropDuster
Gettin' Lower!

Quote: Originally Posted by closetguy
View Post
the 60 I bought from MH is doing great after many gals.and still has the factory original crank.
CropDuster,your 60 is putting out some serious power,Xoar laminates really load a engine.
I still like Xoar 23-8 at 7300 with the factory side dump.
I rebuilt this engine with parts Mike sent and replaced crank bearings. I have about 4-5 gallons through it and it gets stronger each gallon. I took a very strong DLE 55 out and put the EME 60 in, it is much smoother and much stronger.
Old 09-14-2014, 08:40 AM   #4646
leelee
Knife Edge

I have an EME35 on a Hangar 9 81" P47. It is awesome with this engine, the only thing I need now is the electric starter installed. The only problem is how hard are they to install?

Team Deadstick "Flirtn With Dirt"
leelee is offline   Reply With Quote