logo
Old 07-17-2009, 02:29 PM
Find More Posts by askforplanes
3D Giants
Virginia
Joined Dec 2007
1,069 Posts
Re: 40% Turbo Laser (scratch built)

I'm going to youth masters today so sorry if I don't respond.

JP
askforplanes is offline Find More Posts by askforplanes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 07-17-2009, 02:43 PM
Find More Posts by forgues research
Canada
Joined Feb 2006
4,281 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by askforplanes View Post
Thanks for the kind words, I've been talking to Mr.Strickland (just wanted to say thanks to Mr.Strickland for talking to me as he is a wealth of knowledge!) about that, and after all of his "praise" for the plane this winter I am going to get a set plans and build a 40% laser(with boost tabs). My goal is to build it for about $2000.

JP
I guarantee you will be able to build this for a decent price . Ya Jack is one of the great guys and always , always willing to help.

When you build it, you will have help from all these guys.

Roger
forgues research is offline Find More Posts by forgues research
Old 07-17-2009, 06:12 PM
Find More Posts by BTerry
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Dec 2006
1,474 Posts

Roger/Jack, could one of you tell me the wing area on this big plane? How about the wing root and tip chords?

Thanks!
BTerry is offline Find More Posts by BTerry
Old 07-17-2009, 06:13 PM
Canada
Joined Feb 2006
4,281 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTerry View Post
Roger/Jack, could one of you tell me the wing area on this big plane? How about the wing root and tip chords?

Thanks!
I'll leave that one to Jack, he is the designer and knows it inside out.

Roger
Old 07-17-2009, 08:04 PM
Find More Posts by 66stang
Fly it like you hate it!
Collinsville, IL
Joined Jan 2006
4,925 Posts

Roger as always you are insightful. This is another thread of yours I'm enjoying. Thanks for the efforts..
66stang is offline Find More Posts by 66stang
Old 07-17-2009, 08:26 PM
Canada
Joined Feb 2006
4,281 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66stang View Post
Roger as always you are insightful. This is another thread of yours I'm enjoying. Thanks for the efforts..

With these kind words, I have make extra efforts LOL

Roger
Old 07-18-2009, 12:44 AM
Find More Posts by jack strickland
Marietta Oklahoma
Joined Jan 2007
943 Posts

Hello All
I will go measure the items Brett asked for tomorrow (Sunday) too late now.
jack strickland is offline Find More Posts by jack strickland
Old 07-18-2009, 06:19 AM
Marietta Oklahoma
Joined Jan 2007
943 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgues research View Post
Yes it is basically a stick built airplane,

Stits covering is very nice, but be carefull , it will add weight...

Roger
Hi Roger and Brett
Jerry nelson has some excellent fabric that is very light. Have not tried it personally but have seen it used and it is superior IN MY HUMBLE OPION. phone no. 877-263-5766
Cheers
Old 07-18-2009, 07:13 AM
Marietta Oklahoma
Joined Jan 2007
943 Posts

Hi Brett
The projected wing area of the 40% Laser is : 1971 sq. inches.
Root chord; 24 3/4 inches
Tip chord 11 3/4 inches
Regards
Old 07-18-2009, 07:42 AM
Marietta Oklahoma
Joined Jan 2007
943 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracky View Post
Roger, I have followed a couple of your threads hoping to learn something and I along with others were just trying to get a better understanding of the benefits of trying alternative methods versus the normal thinking. With such a radical approach with multi-thousand dollar airplanes I think guys were just wanting to see what kind of performance they should expect with using the boost tabs. My personal (uneducated) opinion that that they should work with general aerobatics but I am finding it hard to believe that they will work when there is less airflow over the surfaces like in a hover or other low speed maneuvers. So instead of people going out and risking a $5000 toy airplane they just wanted some reassurance other than some guy saying "Trust Me". That is where the requests for videos came from. There are some 'haters' in every group but I do believe that there are a lot of people that are interested in the setup even if they wouldn't do it to one of their airplanes.
As I understand it, the airflow over the surfaces is more or less at any given airspeed, so I do not understand what a little 10% tab is going to make a large difference at low speeds. Please explain in more detail. thanks
Old 07-18-2009, 07:56 AM
Marietta Oklahoma
Joined Jan 2007
943 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielgpr View Post
I'm not your buddy!
I was interested in your thread, didn't coment as I was learning about what you were doing/accomplishing with these boost tabs. When people started asking for video, I waited and you didn't give moving pictures of your worded explanations of your installs. All that came up was how you didn't invent them and became very flip/floppy on showing how it is applied to our hobby. The real resone they were invented was for full scale pilot relief on the fly by cable controls of that time. None of which apply to models, however could be addapted as you are trying to point out.
Now as far as the servos, safety is paramount, especially here in the US as the FAA has concerns about modeling safety in general. Using loe torque servos on any demanding application w/o adequate power for application is irresponsible on ANY modelers part.
Hope you do provide video as it is still interesting and would be uneque.
Dan
Arnt we all buddies, brothers??? We share a comon joy of this hobby. Angry remarks like this accomplish nothing. Technically we are all cousins anyway, so why the NEGATIVE CRAP IN HERE ALL THE TIME???????
Old 07-18-2009, 09:18 AM
Find More Posts by danielgpr
San Antonio, Tx
Joined Jul 2008
733 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack strickland View Post
Arnt we all buddies, brothers??? We share a comon joy of this hobby. Angry remarks like this accomplish nothing. Technically we are all cousins anyway, so why the NEGATIVE CRAP IN HERE ALL THE TIME???????
Well, as both of you have posted before, reread the thread, I have and I understand the principle and the application, both of witch as I've stated AGAIN intrested me. I still have yet to see actual video of operation on our "BROTHERHOOD HOBBY". I as well as others questioned equipent used and it is what it is, just wanted video in RC application and that was too much to ask.

Anyway, you and Roger have made some input to this hobby, not everyone agrees with or can accept, but running away behind moderators door when asked for visuals of application in use.

I'm not going any further, especially here, on this thread cause we'll get mad about it.

As far as being NEGATIVE, it doesn't have to be. AGAIN if questions that were asked could have been answered I'm sure that it would have been that, and the people that still had doughts would have moved on.
Dan
danielgpr is offline Find More Posts by danielgpr
Old 07-18-2009, 09:23 AM
Canada
Joined Feb 2006
4,281 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielgpr View Post
Well, as both of you have posted before, reread the thread, I have and I understand the principle and the application, both of witch as I've stated AGAIN intrested me. I still have yet to see actual video of operation on our "BROTHERHOOD HOBBY". I as well as others questioned equipent used and it is what it is, just wanted video in RC application and that was too much to ask.

Anyway, you and Roger have made some input to this hobby, not everyone agrees with or can accept, but running away behind moderators door when asked for visuals of application in use.

I'm not going any further, especially here, on this thread cause we'll get mad about it.

As far as being NEGATIVE, it doesn't have to be. AGAIN if questions that were asked could have been answered I'm sure that it would have been that, and the people that still had doughts would have moved on.
Dan
Dan I will answer this , I have been using boost tabs for over 10 years, you haven't seen it but others have. I have not done a video because I don't have access to a video as crazy as this might sound... Also a video on the ground where you can see it, is one thing, but in the air , you wouldn't be able to see the boost tabs anyway.

I will try to get a video from a neighbor and shoot some just for you but of course they will be on the ground , since you will not see anything in the air as far as boost tabs are concerned.

The problems started when people started telling everyone not to use boost tabs, they are dangerous etc....
The thread was about boost tabs , not whether you should use them or not period...

I also have received a few PM's from people telling me I was trying to kill people, those are hate mails not needed.
With all this I get to a point , screw you all I don't need this crap. and that is why I pulled away, if anyone was seriously interested I would only be too happy to comply, but this was not the case, hence I had to call on the moderators.
Roger
Old 07-18-2009, 09:34 AM
San Antonio, Tx
Joined Jul 2008
733 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgues research View Post
Dan I will answer this , I have been using boost tabs for over 10 years, you haven't seen it but others have. I have not done a video because I don't have access to a video as crazy as this might sound... Also a video on the ground where you can see it, is one thing, but in the air , you wouldn't be able to see the boost tabs anyway.

I will try to get a video from a neighbor and shoot some just for you but of course they will be on the ground , since you will not see anything in the air as far as boost tabs are concerned.

Roger
Ok, cool.
There are small enough cameras out there to mount on flight surfaces that wont damage plane and could show it in action though.
Dan
Old 07-18-2009, 09:37 AM
San Antonio, Tx
Joined Jul 2008
733 Posts

Quick Reply