logo
Old 10-25-2013, 01:01 AM
Find More Posts by sirzepp
United States, TX, Kilgore
Joined Aug 2011
297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dooinit View Post
I am going to upgrade my 11x this winter. I have always been a die hard spektrum guy. I am tossing around the idea of this radio and the new f word 14 channel. Any input?
Between the two I think the 18 wins. Super intuitive to use and a good feeling radio. I think I now like the gimbals better on it than those in my QQ, though the QQ is still my primary spek radio. While some would claim the feel is the same, I find that at a given spring tension, the QQ gimbals feel a bit 'soft'...not lower tension...just 'soft'. It's hard to explain...but the std 18 gimbals feel more 'professional'.

These are subjective impressions.

FWIW, if you have an open mind and patience, I also highly recommend the new FrSky Taranis. I have just spent the better part of 72 hours programming my 'radio test plane' stik with 20 mixes, multiple custom switches actuating a combination of audio warnings and status updates. I have audio telemetry for RX voltage, TX voltage, RSSI, and Altitude. I have uploaded mode specific titles for all my flight modes (mode-specific to THIS plane). It's ridiculous how powerful this new TX is. Quality wise, the gimbals are as good as my friends Futaba 12FG...and he is convinced and will be picking up a Taranis when he can. Switches are solid. Sliders are a bit weak feeling, and I do not like the case as much as the DX18 series...it's based on the JR 9303, 9503, etc. and feels small in my hands. I like the bigger DX18. BUT, with 32 discrete channels available when running dual modules; 16 channels with S-bus or dual 8 channel Rxs(the RXs are 33 bucks). No loss in latency or resolution. Crazy amounts of mixing, etc. It's a great deal.

Nonetheless, you can't go wrong with any of the quality TXs out there. The DX9 seems like a pretty good deal too...but the Taranis smokes it for the money unless you need a backup for an 18 (which it makes great sense as).

I LOVE my DX18s...and won't be getting rid of either of them. If you want to stay Spektrum it's an obvious upgrade.

Absolutely nothing wrong with Futaba either...if money isn't an issue.

More and more I'm becoming a high-value shopper with my hobby dollars, and I'm finding Horizon to be the place I go the most. This is also why FrSky has blown me away with the Taranis. If money wasn't an object, I'd probably run the Jeti DS/DC 16 or an 18MZ.

BUT...

You can't beat Spektrum for the value, quality, and support. HH has always treated me right when I've had issues with their products. The DX18 is a great radio and you will love it if you go that route.
sirzepp is offline Find More Posts by sirzepp
Last edited by sirzepp; 10-25-2013 at 07:11 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 10-25-2013, 07:37 AM
Find More Posts by dooinit
I am bad-ass
United States, MT, Kalispell
Joined Jul 2010
2,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirzepp View Post
Between the two I think the 18 wins. Super intuitive to use and a good feeling radio. I think I now like the gimbals better on it than those in my QQ, though the QQ is still my primary spek radio. While some would claim the feel is the same, I find that at a given spring tension, the QQ gimbals feel a bit 'soft'...not lower tension...just 'soft'. It's hard to explain...but the std 18 gimbals feel more 'professional'.

These are subjective impressions.

FWIW, if you have an open mind and patience, I also highly recommend the new FrSky Taranis. I have just spent the better part of 72 hours programming my 'radio test plane' stik with 20 mixes, multiple custom switches actuating a combination of audio warnings and status updates. I have audio telemetry for RX voltage, TX voltage, RSSI, and Altitude. I have uploaded mode specific titles for all my flight modes (mode-specific to THIS plane). It's ridiculous how powerful this new TX is. Quality wise, the gimbals are as good as my friends Futaba 12FG...and he is convinced and will be picking up a Taranis when he can. Switches are solid. Sliders are a bit weak feeling, and I do not like the case as much as the DX18 series...it's based on the JR 9303, 9503, etc. and feels small in my hands. I like the bigger DX18. BUT, with 32 discrete channels available when running dual modules; 16 channels with S-bus or dual 8 channel Rxs(the RXs are 33 bucks). No loss in latency or resolution. Crazy amounts of mixing, etc. It's a great deal.

Nonetheless, you can't go wrong with any of the quality TXs out there. The DX9 seems like a pretty good deal too...but the Taranis smokes it for the money unless you need a backup for an 18 (which it makes great sense as).

I LOVE my DX18s...and won't be getting rid of either of them. If you want to stay Spektrum it's an obvious upgrade.

Absolutely nothing wrong with Futaba either...if money isn't an issue.

More and more I'm becoming a high-value shopper with my hobby dollars, and I'm finding Horizon to be the place I go the most. This is also why FrSky has blown me away with the Taranis. If money wasn't an object, I'd probably run the Jeti DS/DC 16 or an 18MZ.

BUT...

You can't beat Spektrum for the value, quality, and support. HH has always treated me right when I've had issues with their products. The DX18 is a great radio and you will love it if you go that route.
Well I couldn't decide on a radio, and I sold my 11x. I decided for now to just get a dx9. I guess it has all the programming as the 18, but for half the money, half the channels too. This was my cheapest route for now because I have all spectrum receivers already. I like the wireless buddy box feature for my 5 year old.
Can anyone tell me the advantage of flight modes over just using triple rates. I couldnt figure out how to set up a takeoff/land mode, imac mode, 3d mode. Nothing happened when I switched modes
dooinit is offline Find More Posts by dooinit
Old 10-25-2013, 09:17 AM
Joined Aug 2011
297 Posts
Quote:
Well I couldn't decide on a radio, and I sold my 11x. I decided for now to just get a dx9. I guess it has all the programming as the 18, but for half the money, half the channels too. This was my cheapest route for now because I have all spectrum receivers already. I like the wireless buddy box feature for my 5 year old.
Can anyone tell me the advantage of flight modes over just using triple rates. I couldnt figure out how to set up a takeoff/land mode, imac mode, 3d mode. Nothing happened when I switched modes
You have to assign the setting to the flight mode you want it on. It's usually in the switch field, and just switch that field to flight mode and then select which flight mode by highlighting it. It's been a while. The DX9 is a decent choice...I'm sure you'll love it!
Old 10-25-2013, 10:02 AM
I am bad-ass
Joined Jul 2010
2,134 Posts
Quote:
You have to assign the setting to the flight mode you want it on. It's usually in the switch field, and just switch that field to flight mode and then select which flight mode by highlighting it. It's been a while. The DX9 is a decent choice...I'm sure you'll love it!
The 9 will be ok until spektrum gives the 18 voice alarms and wireless buddy box. I don't think it will be long till that happens
Old 10-25-2013, 10:18 AM
Find More Posts by PropsnWings
AMA LM CD IP
Joined Jul 2011
4,385 Posts
Quote:
The 9 will be ok until spektrum gives the 18 voice alarms and wireless buddy box. I don't think it will be long till that happens
That most likely won't happen as needs a hardware upgrade (voice is processed on entirely different processor) and speaker would need added. The wireless trainer uses a onboard Rx. I'd love the addition...but I won't hold my breath for it.
PropsnWings is offline Find More Posts by PropsnWings
Old 10-25-2013, 10:27 AM
Find More Posts by Steve Graham
Your OTHER Left
Denver, CO
Joined Apr 2008
393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PropsnWings View Post
That most likely won't happen as needs a hardware upgrade (voice is processed on entirely different processor) and speaker would need added. The wireless trainer uses a onboard Rx. I'd love the addition...but I won't hold my breath for it.
Agreed,

Thats why they will roll out a DX18i soon.
Steve Graham is offline Find More Posts by Steve Graham
Old 10-25-2013, 10:33 AM
Find More Posts by PropsnWings
AMA LM CD IP
Joined Jul 2011
4,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Graham View Post
Agreed,

Thats why they will roll out a DX18i soon.
That'd be cool But I think or hearsay is it will be something between the 9 and 18... maybe a 14 channel ?
PropsnWings is offline Find More Posts by PropsnWings
Old 10-25-2013, 06:59 PM
Joined Aug 2011
297 Posts
Voice sure is nice. Love it on the Taranis. Not expecting it on the 18, though.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:33 PM
Find More Posts by Glyder
United States, OH, Canton
Joined Sep 2011
873 Posts
Im sure somethings gonna come out besides the 9. I also think it will be a 14 ch. or such. I dont see just the nine being the only radio to have the new features.
Glyder is offline Find More Posts by Glyder
Old 10-26-2013, 01:55 PM
I am bad-ass
Joined Jul 2010
2,134 Posts
I can almost guarantee they will have another radio soon with all the new features. I will probably preorder it when they do!
Old 12-17-2013, 01:48 PM
Find More Posts by henry b
self sponsored pilot
United States, PA, West Grove
Joined Dec 2006
690 Posts
Quote:
Voice sure is nice. Love it on the Taranis. Not expecting it on the 18, though.
GOT TO LISTEN TO MY WIFE ALL WEEK DONT NEED ONE IN MY RADIO LOL
henry b is offline Find More Posts by henry b
Old 12-17-2013, 03:37 PM
I am bad-ass
Joined Jul 2010
2,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by henry b View Post
Your yelling again.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:21 PM
Find More Posts by Low_Cal
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Dec 2009
2,624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by henry b View Post
Its what the fighter pilots call a "Bitchin' Betty!"

Wish I had one in my radio . . .
Low_Cal is offline Find More Posts by Low_Cal
Old 12-18-2013, 11:59 AM
Find More Posts by dick hanson
murray utah
Joined Jan 2006
2,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low_Cal View Post
Its what the fighter pilots call a "Bitchin' Betty!"

Wish I had one in my radio . . .
I see more DX9's in our area SLC/ Ogden/ Provo All get very positive comments.
Mine is my favorite radio - and I have much more expensive ones ---
dick hanson is offline Find More Posts by dick hanson
Old 12-20-2013, 12:30 PM
Find More Posts by Low_Cal
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Dec 2009
2,624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dick hanson View Post
I see more DX9's in our area SLC/ Ogden/ Provo All get very positive comments.
Mine is my favorite radio - and I have much more expensive ones ---
I might have to get one as a second radio to my DX18QQ, if they don't come out with a voice version of the DX18 in the near future.

No hurry though, as "our area" hardly has any decent flying weather! I put away my planes and got out the skiis . . .
Low_Cal is offline Find More Posts by Low_Cal

Quick Reply