Super08 is offline Find More Posts by Super08
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 08-20-2012, 05:22 PM
Find More Posts by The Dirt Doctor
Vicksburg, MS
Joined Nov 2006
2,394 Posts
Thank you for the measurements - it WILL fit in my trailer with no modifications!! After I went out and measured my trailer with your measurements in mind I came back and placed my order for a 3.1M H9 Sukhoi!!!!

I already have the 28.5 x 12S Mejzlik 3b prop and a 5" Tru-Turn spinner/lightened backplate but unfortunately the spinner is an ultimate shape!! Maybe if I take a big hammer to flatten it out it will look better?

Bobby aka TDD

BTW, I saw Mike M. fly probably the first prototype of the 3.1M Suk at the 2009 IMAC Nats. I seemed to remember that it had the new DA 200 in it! It sounded like a sewing machine and Mike really "rung" it out! It really looks good in the air - especially against a dark cloud background and 25 mph crosswind!
The Dirt Doctor is offline Find More Posts by The Dirt Doctor
Last edited by The Dirt Doctor; 08-30-2012 at 06:45 PM.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:35 PM
Find More Posts by Super08
Who put that tree there?
Fort McMurray AB
Joined Mar 2008
7,126 Posts
Congrats. Wait until you see it in person. The scheme with the orange with antique cream is stunning.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:43 PM
Find More Posts by frank99
United States, AR, Sheridan
Joined Oct 2009
4,069 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super08 View Post
It uses 50mm drop headers, I changed out the wheels and the Tailwheel for a J&J unit. I do that to all my planes. I think I used the gas tank that came with it, not sure now. Give me a sec and I will get your measurements. Here are a couple of pics of mine, my refit is done and I am waiting for my neighbor to wake up before tuning the engine as he is on nightshift.
THAT'S WHAT I 'AM TALKING ABOUT!!!!!!!! i have been sick, back in the saddle again, what a refit
frank99 is offline Find More Posts by frank99
Last edited by frank99; 08-20-2012 at 07:28 PM.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:55 PM
Who put that tree there?
Fort McMurray AB
Joined Mar 2008
7,126 Posts
Thanks Frank, forecast for the next week is rain. Can't win lol. I have it tuned now and is showing over 5800 with the 31x12. That is about 250 rpm gain on pipes with the identical prop.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:00 PM
Vicksburg, MS
Joined Nov 2006
2,394 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Frank, forecast for the next week is rain. Can't win lol. I have it tuned now and is showing over 5800 with the 31x12. That is about 250 rpm gain on pipes with the identical prop.
How did you do those louvers on the cowl? Do you have pictures from the inside to show them? They really look good and I bet they provide all the cooling you need without having to do a complete baffle system like the one Murry did.

Bobby
Old 08-20-2012, 07:27 PM
Find More Posts by frank99
United States, AR, Sheridan
Joined Oct 2009
4,069 Posts
Quote:
you must have a engine man like my uncle BILL , he can tune any engine and he can hear the tone when it hits the sweet spot every time. back to work tuesday and might get out my sweet heart plane saturday, rusty on the sticks
frank99 is offline Find More Posts by frank99
Old 08-20-2012, 09:17 PM
Who put that tree there?
Fort McMurray AB
Joined Mar 2008
7,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dirt Doctor View Post
How did you do those louvers on the cowl? Do you have pictures from the inside to show them? They really look good and I bet they provide all the cooling you need without having to do a complete baffle system like the one Murry did.

Bobby
It was just a sheet of 1/64 plywood I cut into rectangles to fit between the stingers and then epoxied them in at 45 degrees after I painted them ivory.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:24 PM
Vicksburg, MS
Joined Nov 2006
2,394 Posts
Quote:
It was just a sheet of 1/64 plywood I cut into rectangles to fit between the stingers and then epoxied them in at 45 degrees after I painted them ivory.
Thanks for the info!

Bobby
Old 08-21-2012, 12:37 PM
Find More Posts by ACP Engineering
Joined Sep 2011
3 Posts
yes 3d

Quote:
Originally Posted by probrodude View Post
I have not read all of this post, but I am curious about the 3d capabilities of this plane. From what I have read the IMAC abilities are great.
Take a look at this vid.

Hangar 9 SU 26MM 3.1m, Alexander Balzer (4 min 22 sec)

acp
ACP Engineering is offline Find More Posts by ACP Engineering
Old 08-23-2012, 03:24 PM
Vicksburg, MS
Joined Nov 2006
2,394 Posts
My kit came in today - it arrived at 1257 hrs CDT! The three boxes had no external damage showing! The cowl and wing boxes have been taken out of their outer box coverings are are sitting in my shop ready for me to get to work on them! The outer boxes and that thin plywood are out for garbage pickup in the morning! The long fuse-containing box is in the carport as I don't have room for it in my shop -YET!!

My building buddy and I spent this morning finalizing my trailer to hold my other plane and were outside when the FEDEX truck arrived! We had added a "shelf" for my current plane and needed to put the GearLegs holddowns in. The shelf needed an extension for the fancy White Rose Engineering tailwheel to sit on which took a bit of engineering but we got it installed with 2" from the rudder to the back trailer door and 4" from the spinner at the front of the trailer! Remember, an inch is as good as a mile!!

My plan is to put my DA 150 and RE3s in it

Now to get to work on the Suk after i rest a bit!

Bobby
Old 08-23-2012, 03:43 PM
Who put that tree there?
Fort McMurray AB
Joined Mar 2008
7,126 Posts
Congrats.
Old 08-23-2012, 03:45 PM
Find More Posts by murry
texas
Joined Jan 2006
764 Posts
Congrats Bobby, you will love the Sukhoi.
murry is offline Find More Posts by murry
Old 08-23-2012, 04:41 PM
Vicksburg, MS
Joined Nov 2006
2,394 Posts
Thanks guys. I do have a couple of questions already! I see in the build manual where Mike M used flat battery packs mounted up front. I already have fairly fresh 5200 mah square Fromeco Li-ions for the flight packs and a 2600 mah flat Fromeco Li-ion for the ignition . My first question is, will the square packs fit ok and (2) is it necessary to mount them up front in the first place in order to get the plane to balance?

I already have a Fromeco Wolverine switch and two badger regulators setups and one badger switch so I only need is to order regulator prepared with Deans in and 2 JR out leads and I will be in business.

Robert (Robotech) can you send me a couple of photos of how and where you mounted the Wolverine switch?

Bobby
Old 08-23-2012, 05:50 PM
Find More Posts by murry
texas
Joined Jan 2006
764 Posts
pic
murry is offline Find More Posts by murry

Quick Reply