logo
Old 01-07-2012, 10:31 AM
Find More Posts by jraycut
Joined Jul 2009
744 Posts
this picture is from another site - but shows you how thin the wings and stabs are!
jraycut is offline Find More Posts by jraycut
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 01-07-2012, 11:44 AM
Find More Posts by Robotech
United States, AR, Pine Bluff
Joined Aug 2006
3,872 Posts
It's great to hear your first flights went well. It sounds like you may need to adjust CG a little. Mine has absolutely no tendencies to push or pull in knife edge flight and flies perfectly straight in all attitudes. The only mixes I have are 1% down elevator at idle and 2 or 3% right rudder at full throttle. DA150 on stock muffs. You can see in the pics where I have the equipment located. It flies an hands-off inverted 45 upline forever
Robotech is offline Find More Posts by Robotech
Old 01-07-2012, 02:47 PM
Joined Jul 2009
744 Posts
I tend to set my 45 uplines as follows; pull 45 up, do a half roll and I want the plane to continue on that line for at least a 3-4 second count and then to start gradually falling. That is what my plane is doing right now...which I like. I was always under the impression if the plane continues on the 45 upline after the half roll...the plane is tail heavy.

I think I could use a little more nose weight, but want more time on the plane before settling in on that decision. Also, when flying horizontal inverted, I need to hold slight pressure of down elevator to keep the nose up, which I also like.

Is anyone carrying up elevator trim on horizontal flight?
Old 01-07-2012, 03:16 PM
Find More Posts by The Dirt Doctor
Vicksburg, MS
Joined Nov 2006
2,394 Posts
See what the plane does when you chop the throttle to idle in a straight and level position at 3/4 throttle. If it dives then add down thrust, if it rises then add up thrust.

Bobby aka TDD
The Dirt Doctor is offline Find More Posts by The Dirt Doctor
Last edited by The Dirt Doctor; 01-07-2012 at 06:58 PM.
Old 01-07-2012, 04:49 PM
Find More Posts by Robotech
United States, AR, Pine Bluff
Joined Aug 2006
3,872 Posts
Hmmmm. Thought you may have been a little too nose heavy considering that you had to add up trim to fly level horizontal. Of course then that same trim would have a tendency to make it pitch in a knife edge attitude and pull out on down lines.

Mine flies a straight and level horizontal with completely neutral elevator trim. Maybe some of the guys with pipes and canisters can more accurately comment on their CG location.
Robotech is offline Find More Posts by Robotech
Old 01-07-2012, 06:50 PM
Find More Posts by scott m lyons
GOT GAS ?
Bennington VT.
Joined Aug 2008
6,798 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dirt Doctor View Post
See what the plane does when you chop the throttle to idle in a straight and level position at 3/4 throttle. If it dives then add up thrust, if it rises then add down thrust.

Bobby aka TDD
This is backwards
scott m lyons is offline Find More Posts by scott m lyons
Old 01-07-2012, 06:59 PM
Find More Posts by The Dirt Doctor
Vicksburg, MS
Joined Nov 2006
2,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott m lyons View Post
This is backwards
I changed it, what WAS I thinking? .
The Dirt Doctor is offline Find More Posts by The Dirt Doctor
Old 01-07-2012, 06:59 PM
Find More Posts by brandonduley
Let's go flying!!
United States, OH, Waynesville
Joined Mar 2007
27,056 Posts
Congrats on the maiden. Glad it went well
brandonduley is offline Find More Posts by brandonduley
Old 01-07-2012, 09:56 PM
Joined Jul 2009
744 Posts
Hey Brandon, where did you end up with your CG? Stock locations of batteries get moved as well?
Old 01-07-2012, 10:45 PM
Find More Posts by brandonduley
Let's go flying!!
United States, OH, Waynesville
Joined Mar 2007
27,056 Posts
I used the recommended location, but both of my battery packs are next to the former behind the wingtube.
brandonduley is offline Find More Posts by brandonduley
Old 01-08-2012, 07:33 AM
Find More Posts by sherman89
Ocala Fl
Joined Feb 2007
2,988 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jraycut View Post
I tend to set my 45 uplines as follows; pull 45 up, do a half roll and I want the plane to continue on that line for at least a 3-4 second count and then to start gradually falling. That is what my plane is doing right now...which I like. I was always under the impression if the plane continues on the 45 upline after the half roll...the plane is tail heavy.

I think I could use a little more nose weight, but want more time on the plane before settling in on that decision. Also, when flying horizontal inverted, I need to hold slight pressure of down elevator to keep the nose up, which I also like.

Is anyone carrying up elevator trim on horizontal flight?
It sounds like we set our planes up in a very similar fashion, I like the plane to fly the inverted 45 the same as you so we must have similar CG's. My DA170 had to go back after 7 flights so I have to wait for it's return. After flying Carden's for a few years I would have to conclude the same points as you---Mike's Suk will be very competitive in IMAC. Knife edge does pull slightly to the belly and 1% is needed on the elevator on the down line at idle. I did not get a chance to put in a knife edge mix before the motor got pulled. The snaps are easy to control once you figure it that the snap stops when you let the sticks go----something I had to get used to. I look forward to the return of the motor.
sherman89 is offline Find More Posts by sherman89
Old 01-08-2012, 04:28 PM
Joined Jul 2009
744 Posts
Also, one thing to remember, is that I am using the carbon gear over the stock gear...that takes one solid pound off the plane right there...so I may need to leave the batteries where they are. If anything, I might place one of the batteries from the shock location and put it just behind the wing tube to see what it does.

One thing to mention is that with a nose heavy or slightly more nose heavy plane, you will have to fly the plane at a more faster overall speed than you would if you more neutral in the CG range. But along with that would be a plane that is more sensitive in windy conditions. The nose heavy or slightly more nose heavy plane will track much better in those conditions.

Time will tell :-)
Old 01-08-2012, 08:44 PM
Find More Posts by frank99
United States, AR, Sheridan
Joined Oct 2009
4,069 Posts
also, one thing to remember, is that I am using the carbon gear over the stock gear...that takes one solid pound off
the gear is holding up so far, thanks frank
frank99 is offline Find More Posts by frank99
Old 01-08-2012, 08:55 PM
Find More Posts by ghoffman
United States, FL, Jupiter
Joined Nov 2009
11,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jraycut View Post
this picture is from another site - but shows you how thin the wings and stabs are!
Nice pic!
ghoffman is offline Find More Posts by ghoffman
Old 01-13-2012, 10:50 PM
Joined Jul 2009
744 Posts
Going back out tomorrow for somemore flights. i dont think it will be perfect for trimmingcause i am expecting some wind at a pretty good clip tomorrow.

I may add a tray just behind the wing tube for one of the batteries in the morning before heading out....and see what it does at the field. Im actually really interested to see how she will perform in the windy conditions.

I will report back with an update after tomorrows flights. here are some pics of the tail servos and another few shots of my layout.

Quick Reply