Welcome to The FlyingGiants! - please login or click this bar to join our community...

Welcome to The FlyingGiants Community! We're all about fun, and inside you'll find the greatest, friendliest, and most helpful group of people around! If this is your first time visiting, please check out site, and click here to sign up! We hope to see you soon!!

Go Back   FlyingGiants > Technology > Radios
Forgot your password? Create a new account

Old 04-19-2013, 05:28 PM   #166
MaceH
DA rocks

Quote: Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
View Post
It's all in fun.... I have a couple of those I like to keep stashed for special occasions so its hard to pass up when one presents itself.

I do have a miliary electronics background though.... and I always get a chuckle about speculation about radar and such.
My mood is lightened, thanks for the insult. I'm all happy and joyus now. Very helpful.
MaceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:10 PM   #167
Street2strip1320
Gettin' Lower!

What C rating should I use on the receiver for a twin Life battery setup on a 100cc airframe. Digital servos. Is 5c enough? Or is that to low? Also Im curently running 2 lipo's 20c on a resister battery share switch. regulated to 5.8v. on dual Futaba receivers. Whould that setup be better then straight life's?
Street2strip1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:21 PM   #168
Buschbarber
Flyin' Around

Quote: Originally Posted by Street2strip1320
View Post
What C rating should I use on the receiver for a twin Life battery setup on a 100cc airframe. Digital servos. Is 5c enough? Or is that to low? Also Im curently running 2 lipo's 20c on a resister battery share switch. regulated to 5.8v. on dual Futaba receivers. Whould that setup be better then straight life's?
The C rating depends upon the Capacity of batteries you are using. If you have 2000mah Rx batteries and your servos are drawing 10a, 8C-10C would be safe as they would allow 16-20a continuous. You could even go lower.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:30 PM   #169
Street2strip1320
Gettin' Lower!

Ok, Then 5c would be on the low side. The switch I am running now on twin lipo 20c 7.4v is here http://www.chiefaircraft.com/radio-control/power-systems/power-boxes/dur-804000.html I was concerned with it because I held the rutter servos at full through for 10 seconds with the heat gun on the sinks, and it got up to 160 in that time in my 75 degree house. I realize that what the heat sinks are for. But as I have just lost a 100cc airframe on smart fly and dual life I am way over worried.
Street2strip1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:06 PM   #170
MaceH
DA rocks

Quote: Originally Posted by Street2strip1320
View Post
Ok, Then 5c would be on the low side. The switch I am running now on twin lipo 20c 7.4v is here http://www.chiefaircraft.com/radio-control/power-systems/power-boxes/dur-804000.html I was concerned with it because I held the rutter servos at full through for 10 seconds with the heat gun on the sinks, and it got up to 160 in that time in my 75 degree house. I realize that what the heat sinks are for. But as I have just lost a 100cc airframe on smart fly and dual life I am way over worried.
It says there, if I read that correctly, is that the switch is rated 5A continuous... barely enough for a 30cc plane... you want at least 4x that on a 100cc plane imo.

Smartfly (some of them... methinks the one you should want) have a soft switch capability- the switch handles none of the load. Otherwise check out Wolverine, rated at 32A continuous, its mosfets will do 4x that intermittent.

Beware that as temperature goes up, current carrying of semiconductors goes down, and few are rated for use above 75c, so whatever the ambient spec current, zero amps at 75*C.
MaceH is offline   Reply With Quote