logo
Old 01-27-2016, 10:45 PM
Find More Posts by pilotman520
Joined Jul 2009
6 Posts
Discussion
Futaba 9c with FrSky module

I was out at the field today and had reception problems multiple times on two separate planes. It happened when the aircraft was out at about a 45 degree angle from the flying station. I have had this setup for about a year. I have had great luck but obviously was not happy today.

So here is my dilemma. I have 6 receivers for this system in all my airplanes. Because I had the issue with two separate aircraft I'm thinking maybe it's the module on the transmitter. I was thinking of purchasing a taranis transmitter and using the existing receivers. This costs me about 220 to the door and includes 1 additional receiver that I can use on a new airplane. Or I can pony up a bucket load of cash and get an all new Futaba or spectrum setup with 6 new receivers.

Money is an object (I wouldn't be using hobbyking stuff if it wasn't) but I'm also not willing to risk wrecking airplanes. So what would you do?

I'm leaning towards buying the taranis and testing it out. If I am still having trouble I can eBay it and then buy another system.
pilotman520 is offline Find More Posts by pilotman520
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 01-27-2016, 11:14 PM
Find More Posts by skymaster001
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Aug 2014
369 Posts
I've had a Taranis for about a year now and I haven't had any problems with it, it is a bit of a learning curve to program it because it has a LOT of programming that can be done in it but there's a bunch of videos on YouTube explaining everything. I would recommend the Taranis, if it doesn't suit your needs you can always sell it on rcg.

By the way, are your antennas 90° from each other?

And for anything FrSky go to alofthobbies, they are a authorized USA service center and retailer for FrSky. Wayne at alofthobbies if always helpful also, great customer service.

Also some good information in this thread I started when I was debating on getting the Taranis myself.
https://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/...ad.php?t=92812
skymaster001 is offline Find More Posts by skymaster001
Old 01-28-2016, 05:32 AM
Find More Posts by Tony Hallo
springdale, pa usa
Joined Aug 2006
978 Posts
Did you loose control or just receiver an alarm?
Tony Hallo is offline Find More Posts by Tony Hallo
Old 01-28-2016, 09:12 AM
Joined Jul 2009
6 Posts
Yes I was out of control for .5-.75 seconds each time. Luckily all were up high but I though I was gonna lose my hog bipe as it did an uncommanded aileron roll.

I suspect it is the module on my transmitter but have no real way to test it. The receivers in both planes are mounted to the fuselage sidewall will one antenna running aft and one antenna going up toward the top of the aircraft. The antennas are held in place with standard packing tape.

Is there a better way to mount the receivers?
Old 01-28-2016, 12:22 PM
Joined Aug 2014
369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotman520 View Post
Yes I was out of control for .5-.75 seconds each time. Luckily all were up high but I though I was gonna lose my hog bipe as it did an uncommanded aileron roll.

I suspect it is the module on my transmitter but have no real way to test it. The receivers in both planes are mounted to the fuselage sidewall will one antenna running aft and one antenna going up toward the top of the aircraft. The antennas are held in place with standard packing tape.

Is there a better way to mount the receivers?
I usually glue a little plastic tube and put the antennas inside, but I've been using the X-series receivers from FrSky for so long I haven't had to do that in a while. I have the antennas mounted the same way in my fw190 but on the X-series receivers that have a pcb on the end of the antenna so I put double sided foam to it and stick the antenna where I can, just make sure you have no ignition wires, servo wires or any carbon fiber next to the antennas.
Old 01-28-2016, 12:28 PM
springdale, pa usa
Joined Aug 2006
978 Posts
I use this 3M fastener for the receiver and Velco for the PCB ends. The 3M Fastener is the same stuff provided by Smartfly to mount the receiver to the expander. It provides vibration protection and is easy to remove. I used to get alarms with my Frsky converted 9C at the same place at the field, very predictable. Now with the Taranis I get RSSI low or critical on occasion. Never lost control however.
Last edited by Tony Hallo; 01-28-2016 at 12:35 PM.
Old 01-28-2016, 12:51 PM
Find More Posts by acerc
United States, FL, Center Hill
Joined Jul 2014
2,167 Posts
Why does anyone, with the amount of money in these big planes, even consider a Tx/Rx system without any history or reputation behind it. Futaba has been around for many, many, years and operate in other areas than r/c. I do not trust Specktrum, Frysky, Taranis, or any "brand" that just jumps into the game. And from the negative threads on forums all over the globe all of those radios have enough problems to keep me away. And I also see it at fields I have visited all over the eastern half of the country. So I ask, "Why trust your hard earned money to them"?
acerc is offline Find More Posts by acerc
Old 01-28-2016, 04:43 PM
Joined Aug 2014
369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acerc View Post
Why does anyone, with the amount of money in these big planes, even consider a Tx/Rx system without any history or reputation behind it. Futaba has been around for many, many, years and operate in other areas than r/c. I do not trust Specktrum, Frysky, Taranis, or any "brand" that just jumps into the game. And from the negative threads on forums all over the globe all of those radios have enough problems to keep me away. And I also see it at fields I have visited all over the eastern half of the country. So I ask, "Why trust your hard earned money to them"?
I've had futaba, spektrum, and FrSky never had a problem with any of the 3. The FrSky Taranis radio has proven itself to be very reliable, is it completely bulletproof, no, not even futaba is. The FrSky Taranis has been flown at Joe nall, flitetest, and I've been to a lot of events here in the NY/NJ area I live in and never even had a glitch.

In this video the guy does a range test of the jeti ds16 and a FrSky Taranis, with RSSI feedback and everything, please take a look.
2.4GHz RC Range Test Jeti DS16 & FrSky Taranis (9 min 20 sec)
Old 01-28-2016, 06:36 PM
springdale, pa usa
Joined Aug 2006
978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acerc View Post
So I ask, "Why trust your hard earned money to them"?
Because it works!
Old 01-28-2016, 06:43 PM
Find More Posts by Eganwp
Jesus saves!
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Feb 2009
1,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster001 View Post
I've had futaba, spektrum, and FrSky never had a problem with any of the 3. The FrSky Taranis radio has proven itself to be very reliable, is it completely bulletproof, no, not even futaba is. The FrSky Taranis has been flown at Joe nall, flitetest, and I've been to a lot of events here in the NY/NJ area I live in and never even had a glitch.

In this video the guy does a range test of the jeti ds16 and a FrSky Taranis, with RSSI feedback and everything, please take a look.
2.4GHz RC Range Test Jeti DS16 & FrSky Taranis - YouTube
+1!!

I've had Wrektrum crash my planes before and so have most of the guys I fly with. Switched to Hitec Aurora 9 & 9X for 5 years and had many issues over the years with signal as well... Not to mention radio failures. Flown my older Futaba 9C and while it's ok, its very slow latency and old school. Switched to FrSky Taranis last a year and a half ago and wow, not even a single glitch ever in 3-400 flights+. Plus, now that I have a much more powerful radio with RSSI telemetry, it will warn me if I ever get a fade or low signal to which I've never had one in ALL those flights!

There's a reason guys fly FrSky Taranis for long range FPV. In fact, Spektrum isn't recommended by anyone on RCG because the protocol and range is so horrible compared to FrSky. Add to it all the antenna mods I do for long range FPV and the distance runs are completely unmatched by any other RC radio brand out there, both in testing and real life.

In my mind, you either choose Futaba or FrSky if you want to not risk your hard earned money! lol. JR is a close 2nd to these two, but the whole Spektrum/JR radios & protocols over all those years put a bad taste in my mouth and earned JR a bad reputation to the point that I just can't get myself to fly them ever again.
Eganwp is offline Find More Posts by Eganwp
Old 01-28-2016, 10:50 PM
Joined Aug 2014
369 Posts
Anyway, were getting away from the op's question, I'd recommend a Taranis if you're willing to watch a few videos and learn how to program it, after a few minutes it all clicks and you'll understand it.
Old 01-29-2016, 05:20 AM
springdale, pa usa
Joined Aug 2006
978 Posts
Getting back to the original question, I would do engine off and engine on range checks and note any change between the two. Also consider a faulty servo if range check prove good.
Old 01-29-2016, 03:58 PM
Joined Jul 2009
6 Posts
I did engine on range checks with both aircraft. I ordered the taranis so I will know soon enough to if the transmitter was the cause after all. If not I will have some stuff to sell.
Old 01-29-2016, 07:01 PM
Joined Aug 2014
369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotman520 View Post
I did engine on range checks with both aircraft. I ordered the taranis so I will know soon enough to if the transmitter was the cause after all. If not I will have some stuff to sell.
Did you get a new X-series receiver, they're quite a bit better than the other ones. Also did you order from alofthobbies?
Old 01-29-2016, 10:10 PM
Joined Jul 2009
6 Posts
I did get one X series receiver to try out. I ordered it from value hobbies because aloft was out of stock on the receiver.

Quick Reply