logo
Old 01-26-2015, 04:15 PM
United States, ID, Fruitland
Joined Apr 2011
60 Posts

Thanks for the feedback. I thought this would prompt more discussion, but I guess not.

Clark, I agree with the premise of keeping it as simple as possible. I guess one thing that will help me is to be more specific with the person calling for me as to what I would like to be said for each maneuver.
flymustangs is offline Find More Posts by flymustangs
Old 01-27-2015, 10:58 AM
Joined Apr 2011
60 Posts

I had another idea. Like I said before, I think using a caller that's flying the same class makes the most sense. One of my problems is that I haven't made it to very many contests in the past couple of years and there isn't a very active IMAC group in Southwest Idaho. That means I usually don't know all the pilots or can't remember names because of CRS. How about having another short meeting after the normal pre-flight briefing broken up into classes, at least the first day anyway? That way, you get to know everyone that's flying that class and who might be the best to ask to call for you.

These events are just as much a social event as they are a contest. If the social aspect wasn't important we could all stay home and compete by sim via the Internet. I don't think I would volunteer to coordinate something like that, though.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:48 AM
Duvall, Washington
Joined Oct 2007
493 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flymustangs View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I thought this would prompt more discussion, but I guess not.

Clark, I agree with the premise of keeping it as simple as possible. I guess one thing that will help me is to be more specific with the person calling for me as to what I would like to be said for each maneuver.
I tend to be aligned with you in liking a more descriptive calling style, especially for unknowns, I include pull/push inputs. I like a certain cadence in how the caller calls the sequence as well as what they call certain maneuvers so I write it how I want it. For example: Half-Roll vs. 1 of 2 point roll.

You can see what I do each year, (attached 2013 sequence below). The idea is anyone should be able to call for me if they read the words and punctuation as written.

I do this for myself in addition to doing it for the Basic class each year to help prospective pilots and new Basic pilots link words and Aresti figures. I print it out, and laminate with a vertical hinge between the Aresti and words so it can be folded in half. I'm working on this years Basic sequence now and will post in a week or so.
RoughLandin is offline Find More Posts by RoughLandin
Last edited by RoughLandin; 01-27-2015 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 01-27-2015, 05:08 PM
80's ROCK RULES
United States, OR
Joined Aug 2007
717 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flymustangs View Post
I had another idea. Like I said before, I think using a caller that's flying the same class makes the most sense. One of my problems is that I haven't made it to very many contests in the past couple of years and there isn't a very active IMAC group in Southwest Idaho. That means I usually don't know all the pilots or can't remember names because of CRS. How about having another short meeting after the normal pre-flight briefing broken up into classes, at least the first day anyway? That way, you get to know everyone that's flying that class and who might be the best to ask to call for you.

These events are just as much a social event as they are a contest. If the social aspect wasn't important we could all stay home and compete by sim via the Internet. I don't think I would volunteer to coordinate something like that, though.
If you daughter doesn't mind calling, then I would definitely encourage her to help dad out ! She is a very fluent reader, correct? (Harry Potter books or whatever).
I have found that proficient readers make very good callers. Kids actually make some of the best callers because most of them don't fly and they take calling very seriously because it's out of their element and they approach it with caution.
djmille is offline Find More Posts by djmille
Old 01-28-2015, 11:35 AM
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Mar 2006
507 Posts

Here is a link to some 2015 knowns http://jtecrc.com/imacsequences.html
It will help with who ever calls for you.
Ken, You are on the right track wanting to get to know the other pilots in your class. I am sure that it can be beneficial to everybody. And like Darin is suggesting, your daughter would be a great choice. I sure miss Cindy calling for me. I could always count on having a caller at the contest when she was traveling along.
helivflyer is offline Find More Posts by helivflyer
Old 01-28-2015, 11:38 AM
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Mar 2006
507 Posts

BTW
I have seen Brians call sheets and they are very good also. I will be worth the wait.
Thank you Brian for doing this year after year.
Old 01-28-2015, 12:14 PM
Joined Apr 2011
60 Posts

Thanks again guys. Yes, my daughter is a pretty prolific reader. I guess I need to get her to the field with me to see if I can get her interested in it. It wouldn't take up much of her time at a contest. Still plenty of time to read and pet dogs.

The problem right now is the stinkin' weather. We're in our normal winter, temperature inversion, crappy visibility period.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:48 AM
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Mar 2006
507 Posts

It is supposed to get up to low 40's and be clear this weekend. I think we will get to maiden the 50% Ultimate finally.
Old Yesterday, 02:06 PM
80's ROCK RULES
United States, OR
Joined Aug 2007
717 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by helivflyer View Post
It is supposed to get up to low 40's and be clear this weekend. I think we will get to maiden the 50% Ultimate finally.
Yeah, the best time to fly would be around 3:30 on Sunday !!!
djmille is offline Find More Posts by djmille