logo
Old 01-03-2012, 10:25 PM
Find More Posts by husker
Riley O'Brien
United States, NE, Lincoln
Joined Oct 2008
2,813 Posts
I must have gotten lucky...my foam was great. My cowl fit perfectly also...

That being said I think they might be in over their heads. Maybe they need to find some competent help for when they are out of town...or give up/sell the company. They have lost sensei as a contributor and now there are several build threads online that aren't exactly helping their image.

I have already decided to go with competition airframes for my next kit.
husker is offline Find More Posts by husker
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 01-03-2012, 11:14 PM
Find More Posts by terryscustom
Wood Butcher
United States, SD, Harrisburg
Joined Jan 2007
9,971 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by husker View Post
I must have gotten lucky...my foam was great. My cowl fit perfectly also...

That being said I think they might be in over their heads. Maybe they need to find some competent help for when they are out of town...or give up/sell the company. They have lost sensei as a contributor and now there are several build threads online that aren't exactly helping their image.

I have already decided to go with competition airframes for my next kit.
You must have gotten lucky!! After my scratch build yet this year, I will probably go with a Comp. Airframes or Dalton for next Winter. Carden left a double bad taste in my mouth now....too much drama, so they are out for me.
terryscustom is offline Find More Posts by terryscustom
Old 01-03-2012, 11:58 PM
Find More Posts by lakerider8
Fast Planes,Sleds,and Boats.
Clinton,Iowa
Joined Dec 2009
1,222 Posts
Terry, How much 30NF are you using? Would 2 coats on each surface make a strong bond? I'm redoing a wing that was done using 30NF that had a poor bond. We were able to get the sheeting off without damaging the foam much and planning on redoing it with 30NF to save the wings. Scott
lakerider8 is offline Find More Posts by lakerider8
Old 01-04-2012, 08:26 AM
Find More Posts by ex300sc
Bradenton FL
Joined Apr 2009
309 Posts
Husker I agree with you 100%. The product issues with Matt are building up and no response will get you now where. With his drama he posted a few months ago in his life and saying he has neighbors helping him, hes on the road 6 weeks at a time, people posting they can get him either by phone or email means just that, no quality control and consistent mistakes. Going with Rob or Tony is a better avenue for kit success for sure.
ex300sc is offline Find More Posts by ex300sc
Old 01-04-2012, 09:29 AM
Wood Butcher
Joined Jan 2007
9,971 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerider8 View Post
Terry, How much 30NF are you using? Would 2 coats on each surface make a strong bond? I'm redoing a wing that was done using 30NF that had a poor bond. We were able to get the sheeting off without damaging the foam much and planning on redoing it with 30NF to save the wings. Scott
I'm doing two coats on each item to be joined. First coat let dry 30min, second coat 20-30minutes and bond. Bought a $6 iron at Walmart that I crank up all the way (I think it's hotter than my covering iron) and go over it. I did a destructive test before using it on the plane and it is some great stuff. It just does not fill the large gaps like I had on my rudder. On tight curves I also found it helpful to mist the outside of the balsa with water and let it soak in for a few seconds to make it more flexible to avoid cracking.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:06 AM
Wood Butcher
Joined Jan 2007
9,971 Posts
CRAAAAAPPPP!!! I came in to find that my rudder glue-up was successful and looks nice. However, I unwrapped the wings to look at them for the first time..... Any suggestions???? Will PU glue foam enough to fill this if I apply it a little thick?? It's like this on both sides of both wings, however the other wing they are more like 1/16" deep instead of 1/8".

I also sent an E-mail to Aerotech to see what they suggest.
Last edited by terryscustom; 01-04-2012 at 11:11 AM.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:32 AM
Riley O'Brien
Joined Oct 2008
2,813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryscustom View Post
CRAAAAAPPPP!!! I came in to find that my rudder glue-up was successful and looks nice. However, I unwrapped the wings to look at them for the first time..... Any suggestions???? Will PU glue foam enough to fill this if I apply it a little thick?? It's like this on both sides of both wings, however the other wing they are more like 1/16" deep instead of 1/8".

Yes poly glue would fill that easily....but I would request that they send you new wings.

Thats terrible...

They might respond to your email by next month if you are lucky.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:59 AM
Find More Posts by rooman
They're get'n lower mate.....
United States, PA, Home
Joined Nov 2006
3,941 Posts
Quote:

That sucks......bad foam
I have a habit to inspect ALL PARTS when opening the box, that way if there is any goof-ups it can be jumped on strait away - get new cores for the wings
rooman is offline Find More Posts by rooman
Old 01-04-2012, 12:27 PM
Wood Butcher
Joined Jan 2007
9,971 Posts
Just for fun I sighted down the wing tips as well. One has about a 1/4" arc on the wingtip and the other about 1/8".

Terry
Old 01-04-2012, 12:32 PM
Find More Posts by pittsman44
Joined Oct 2009
208 Posts
Holy crqp. How can u ever let that out. Get ur money back!
pittsman44 is offline Find More Posts by pittsman44
Old 01-04-2012, 01:33 PM
Find More Posts by erjpilot
Quakertown, PA USA
Joined Jan 2006
883 Posts
Wow, I have never seen cores that bad.....I would not be happy what so ever.
erjpilot is offline Find More Posts by erjpilot
Old 01-04-2012, 01:36 PM
Find More Posts by gapple12
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Aug 2006
4,561 Posts
Every Aerotech thread is posting issues. Wonder what is wrong with them. Not looking to good for there future.
gapple12 is offline Find More Posts by gapple12
Old 01-04-2012, 03:45 PM
Wood Butcher
Joined Jan 2007
9,971 Posts
I would expect a little swagger on the tips of the rudder since it is a strange shape to cut. It looks worse in these pics than it is. So I will be applying two layers of 1/8" to the trailing edge to get that straight. The first with carbon rod and wood glue, the second either with wood glue or thick CA for a little more strength. Guess I have to do some real work while this dries for a bit.

The front edge gets 1/2" balsa, so I'll pick a dense / heavy pc. and glue it on similar to this to dry over night.
Old 01-04-2012, 03:52 PM
Riley O'Brien
Joined Oct 2008
2,813 Posts
Quote:
I would expect a little swagger on the tips of the rudder since it is a strange shape to cut. It looks worse in these pics than it is. So I will be applying two layers of 1/8" to the trailing edge to get that straight. The first with carbon rod and wood glue, the second either with wood glue or thick CA for a little more strength. Guess I have to do some real work while this dries for a bit.

The front edge gets 1/2" balsa, so I'll pick a dense / heavy pc. and glue it on similar to this to dry over night.
Thats actually pretty normal for the rudder before the TE is added. Should be fine when you are done with it.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:43 PM
Wood Butcher
Joined Jan 2007
9,971 Posts
That's what I thought, it's a pretty complex geometry.

I heard back from ATech and he is going to take a look at it on his end in the AM to see if my wings are consistent with his normal parts I guess.

Quick Reply