logo
Old 01-13-2012, 08:16 PM
Find More Posts by terryscustom
Wood Butcher
United States, SD, Harrisburg
Joined Jan 2007
9,971 Posts
It was looking a bit like a bomb went off in the shop, so I spent some time getting things presentable again. Also seemed like a lot of parts from foamie props all over the place.......not sure where those came from robbins

I also got all the parts together and assembled as well as tested my foam cutting bows I'm excited to give them a try in a few weeks for my next project. I ended up with a 43" bow and a 57" bow that could go out to 63" if needed. I've got too many projects in the fire right now already, so I decided to buy a commercial grade power supply. This baby will run an 8 foot wire......hey never say never. I got some incredibly clean test cuts so we'll see how it goes.

I also wanted something better to clamp wing trailing edges straight while applying the TE balsa, so I got some aluminum "C" channel and filled the center with hard maple 1/4 x 3/4 sticks. Initial test look like they will work great.
terryscustom is offline Find More Posts by terryscustom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 01-13-2012, 08:31 PM
Find More Posts by sweetpea
If you can't HUCK it BLING IT!
United States, OH, Lebanon
Joined Jan 2006
11,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryscustom View Post
I'm not sure what they all changed from V1 to the V2. How do you like the plane? I'm just using a DA100 (old version), so I hope it's got enough powa! How is it for post stall stability and elevator authority. The stabs are slightly more narrow than I would have imagined.
Not sure I'm the one to tell you good things. It was my first build and the fuse had to be straightened due to my fault and then later in flight I threw a prop and the motorbox broke apart and went through the cowl and I lost a wing. So now my cowl, wings don't match.
sweetpea is offline Find More Posts by sweetpea
Old 01-13-2012, 11:45 PM
Wood Butcher
Joined Jan 2007
9,971 Posts
In that case price my be better to buy new, as you mentioned. It's really a pretty easy build, I just keep getting distracted with other projects. I'll be back on it later next week working on the wings and stabs.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:30 AM
Find More Posts by Gutzy
Pin it! To win it!
United States, MN, St. Michael
Joined Sep 2011
339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericb View Post
We would love to have you. I think we are having a 2 day event in May?

I can make it, as long as it's not before or during the weekend of the 19th of May. Getting Married that weekend at my parents place. If it's a two day event, Memorial weekend, I'm down for sure, no racing that weekend either.
Gutzy is offline Find More Posts by Gutzy
Old 01-17-2012, 12:21 PM
Wood Butcher
Joined Jan 2007
9,971 Posts
Well, I'm getting closer to getting back to work on the AT build. I had a lot of ideas running through my head on my next project so I started drawing and am on the downhill slide on it I think. I decided to do an Extra 300SC, but I want to build it big and light. I'm not shooting for record breaking lightweight or anything, just light for it's size. I started with the outline and a blank CAD screen and about 60 hours later here is where I'm at: It's looking like 110" WS, 96.25" long NIC spinner, 2307sq. in. designed for DLE111 or DA120 with pro-flow rear dump cans. On my proto build I'm going to build it complete without the cans in to see where my CG comes out. After I get the AT model done (or at least ready to cover) I'll start a build thread on this so I can show the laser doing some cutting, as well as the CNC cutting some of the parts.

Sorry for the sideways scans, not much spare time today to re-do, but you get the idea.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:26 PM
Find More Posts by Gutzy
Pin it! To win it!
Joined Sep 2011
339 Posts
Damn, you have some skills,man. You guys that build from scratch like this, are in a whole different league. I have a lot to learn. Lol
Old 01-17-2012, 10:31 PM
Find More Posts by robbinsp
Joined Sep 2009
3,358 Posts
hey gutzy im a minnesota native ! i will let you know when the schedule of events gets to me as when the fun-flys are
robbinsp is offline Find More Posts by robbinsp
Old 01-18-2012, 12:12 AM
Find More Posts by Gutzy
Pin it! To win it!
Joined Sep 2011
339 Posts
For sure, I'm used to driving 5+ hours to go racing. You guys aren't too far away. That and I have got to see this plane, that Terry is building in person.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:45 PM
Wood Butcher
Joined Jan 2007
9,971 Posts
Today we CNC'ed some foam templates for a prototype canopy deck for my scratch build. Wanted to make sure my shell fit before I continue drawing the canopy and turtle deck. For first try ever cutting foam the part came out completely usable, and a perfect fit. Robbins was over and he ran one end of the wire and I did the other and we just eyeballed it as we went expecting to make scrap from this part.

Now I can't wait to get started on this project. Balsa and other hardware is on order, so pretty much just waiting for that. I'll have to kick some butt on the AT wings to get that wrapped up this weekend.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:57 PM
Find More Posts by ericb
Team WTFO
USA, SD, Worthing
Joined Mar 2006
9,612 Posts
Quote:
Today we CNC'ed some foam templates for a prototype canopy deck for my scratch build. Wanted to make sure my shell fit before I continue drawing the canopy and turtle deck. For first try ever cutting foam the part came out completely usable, and a perfect fit. Robbins was over and he ran one end of the wire and I did the other and we just eyeballed it as we went expecting to make scrap from this part.

Now I can't wait to get started on this project. Balsa and other hardware is on order, so pretty much just waiting for that. I'll have to kick some butt on the AT wings to get that wrapped up this weekend.
Looks great. You should have some good building weather this weekend.
ericb is offline Find More Posts by ericb
Old 01-18-2012, 09:37 PM
Find More Posts by obriendigital
United States, NE, Ashland
Joined Dec 2008
481 Posts
Quote:

wow, very cool!!! Can I go ahead and put my pre-order in for a kit from you now? Hope to see both planes fly at the 2nd annual CornHuckFest!!!!
obriendigital is offline Find More Posts by obriendigital
Old 01-18-2012, 10:19 PM
Find More Posts by robbinsp
Joined Sep 2009
3,358 Posts
Hellya!
robbinsp is offline Find More Posts by robbinsp
Old 01-18-2012, 11:19 PM
Wood Butcher
Joined Jan 2007
9,971 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by obriendigital View Post
wow, very cool!!! Can I go ahead and put my pre-order in for a kit from you now? Hope to see both planes fly at the 2nd annual CornHuckFest!!!!
I'm pretty sure the 300SC will be ready for huckfest, as a matter of fact I'll probably be CNC and lasering parts next week......I'm gettin super excited about that one. But, the AT should be done as well, but we'll see. I may do a super simple covering scheme on that one to get it done and huck-able with that great engine I scored for it.

Still waiting for the official huckfest schedule to come out. Any of you lincoln guy's going to the Nall this year?????
Old 01-19-2012, 04:18 AM
Find More Posts by Fixed Wing
Horse Power Saves Planes!
Magnolia, Texas
Joined Jan 2006
2,286 Posts
Looks like you're going to have a winner with the Extra 300SC based upon on your CAD work. Great job with the foam hatch top you cut. Impressive for sure. Can't wait to watch your build thread when that gets started.
Fixed Wing is offline Find More Posts by Fixed Wing
Old 01-19-2012, 07:19 AM
Find More Posts by lakerider8
Fast Planes,Sleds,and Boats.
Clinton,Iowa
Joined Dec 2009
1,222 Posts
Sure wish I had your CAD skills. I'm still working out the small details on the plans for my Chipmunk. Pencil and paper and lots of measuring to get things right before I cut wood. I must be like you. I really look forward to creating and scratch building. It's very satisfying seeing the final product of all your efforts fly for the first time!
lakerider8 is offline Find More Posts by lakerider8

Quick Reply