logo
Old 03-28-2009, 04:34 PM
Find More Posts by Flyer88
Calgary Alberta Canada
Joined Aug 2008
261 Posts
Re: Hobby City 50cc Gasser DL50 Clone

Well guys we'll see when it arrives and I can do some side by side comparisons with my buddys well broken in DL50.
As for the rotary valve, we all know there are pros and cons to each design, that being said the rotary valve tends to produce more output but is not easy to start compared to a reed.

We'll see in about a week .....................

Flyer88
Flyer88 is offline Find More Posts by Flyer88
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 03-28-2009, 05:04 PM
Find More Posts by 66stang
Fly it like you hate it!
Collinsville, IL
Joined Jan 2006
4,925 Posts

Flyer88.. not the case with this one. It will start super easy, but you will need a gallon through it before you'll see any really impressive RPM's. Rotary valve will take time to seat and the ring also. I hope you got a good one. I just feel it will be hit or miss, then miss as time goes.
66stang is offline Find More Posts by 66stang
Old 03-28-2009, 05:07 PM
Fly it like you hate it!
Collinsville, IL
Joined Jan 2006
4,925 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatspinjim View Post
Good info Stang! It's too bad these things happen. It looked like the XYZ could have been a good engine.
I have to give props to you and Al. Both of you did a great job for Ron. Questions were answered right away on these threads and I know both of you put some time in helping to promote them. Sorry it ended this way
Thanks man, we really did want to see this take off.. But we all could not except the way it started to unfold. Also what ever line of engines Ron starts to sell I have full confidence in him. He really does have our backs and I think that's why he pulled out.
Old 03-28-2009, 08:04 PM
Calgary Alberta Canada
Joined Aug 2008
261 Posts

66stang: what's the the difference between a rotory or reed when it comes to breaking-in ? The fuel gets pressurized from the bottom and pushed up in both engines and don't see where there would be any diff ? And most engines take time to reach their max RPM too?

Flyer88
Old 03-28-2009, 08:08 PM
Find More Posts by 50%plane
Suspended Account
North Mexico
Joined Jan 2006
21,384 Posts

It's amazing how many folks will support products such as DL motors, TZB props, Pilot RC planes, etc. and then when China rips off something that you care about, suddenly the tables turn.
50%plane is offline Find More Posts by 50%plane
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 03-28-2009, 08:15 PM
Find More Posts by ericb
Team WTFO
USA, SD, Worthing
Joined Mar 2006
9,612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50%plane View Post
It's amazing how many folks will support products such as DL motors, TZB props, Pilot RC planes, etc. and then when China rips off something that you care about, suddenly the tables turn.
This one seems a bit different as it is the XYZ 50HP with a different name.
ericb is offline Find More Posts by ericb
Old 03-28-2009, 08:37 PM
Calgary Alberta Canada
Joined Aug 2008
261 Posts

You know I find this patriotic stuff a little too much to handle... this is a commodity. So where is the emotional attachment coming from. It's obviously hitting someone in the sweet spot(the wallet) cause I really don't see a problem with China offering competitive products to purchase.

Another thing that roasts me (as I live in Canada) some of the retailers in the US of A won't ship to Canada for some strange reason. And when you find the odd one, there are brokerage fees and taxes out the hoop because you exclusively deal with UPS instead of USPS and it makes it to expensive to purchase your product. Therefore I can order from China at a reduced price and get it here in 5 days with no duties or taxes. That my American friends is costing you guys allot of business, but it seems like you don't care.

Flyer88
Last edited by Flyer88; 03-28-2009 at 09:16 PM.
Old 03-28-2009, 08:42 PM
Find More Posts by 50%plane
Suspended Account
North Mexico
Joined Jan 2006
21,384 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericb View Post
This one seems a bit different as it is the XYZ 50HP with a different name.
I guess a reverse engineered product, such as the DL 50 and 100 is better????? What about Pilot RC, producing and selling products that were shopped at their factory by reputable RC companies who DID design them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer88 View Post
You know I find this patriotic stuff a little too much to handle... this is a commodity. So where is the emotional attachment coming from. It's obviously hitting someone in the sweet spot(the wallet) cause I really don't see a problem with China offering competitive products to purchase.
I'm talking about intelectual property, no matter what country it origionates from.
50%plane is offline Find More Posts by 50%plane
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 03-28-2009, 08:47 PM
Find More Posts by Super08
Who put that tree there?
Fort McMurray AB
Joined Mar 2008
7,126 Posts

Funny I have never had a problem with getting things shipped up here. The only one I have found that doesn't ship to Canada was a small time Ebay seller. Some have even bent over backwards to find a cheaper way to ship. I agree that UPS is the most expensive way to ship to Canada though. Their brokerage fees are out to lunch. Problem is for some things it is the only way to get them up here.
Super08 is offline Find More Posts by Super08
Old 03-28-2009, 09:04 PM
Calgary Alberta Canada
Joined Aug 2008
261 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super08 View Post
Funny I have never had a problem with getting things shipped up here. The only one I have found that doesn't ship to Canada was a small time Ebay seller. Some have even bent over backwards to find a cheaper way to ship. I agree that UPS is the most expensive way to ship to Canada though. Their brokerage fees are out to lunch. Problem is for some things it is the only way to get them up here.
Yes I agree it's not every retailer that is hard to deal with, but I just find the whole import (NAFTA) thing really confusing, because it costs too much in my opinion to import products sometimes. Yet it comes from China in half the time and with no fees or taxes most the time ??

By the way I'm in Calgary...................looks like another few weeks before the planes come out !

Flyer88
Old 03-28-2009, 10:21 PM
Fly it like you hate it!
Collinsville, IL
Joined Jan 2006
4,925 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50%plane View Post
Fifty, the difference for me was I was personaly involved! I saw what the product could be if they kept up the quality. They started to cut corners and decided to just throw out motors and not keep to the standard that Ron asked from them. Now if you take my DL it has exceeded my expectations. I have never needed to have it serviced. I hate to break the news to all. There really is not much made in the states only. So when you start this saying buy DA an american made motor and drive a honda, I say bull! I'm not pointing at just you, but you do drive a honda. I drive a ford.
Last edited by 66stang; 03-28-2009 at 11:24 PM.
Old 03-28-2009, 11:13 PM
Find More Posts by rcign
Williams, Az USA
Joined Jan 2006
2,439 Posts

Thanks for painting us all with the same brush.. You have obviously been buying things from the wrong vendors...I ship ALL things USPS, but YOUR country makes $$$ on the value of products imported...So everything I send to Canada is valued at $000.00 for their benefit....
Been lucky so far, nothing has been lost..
I send $$ to China by Western Union, get the ignitions in my hand in a week....EMS Global shipping, with tracking....
Bank charges $45 for ANY money transfer, W Union gets about $14.....
rcign is offline Find More Posts by rcign
Old 03-28-2009, 11:17 PM
Calgary Alberta Canada
Joined Aug 2008
261 Posts

Thats good news ! I'm in the need for a ignition for a 26cc gas and will give you a call.

Thanks for your help.

Flyer88
Old 03-28-2009, 11:20 PM
Find More Posts by flatspinjim
Ft Lupton CO
Joined Nov 2008
2,699 Posts

The funniest thing about the Da vs Chinese debate.....Just about every engine is going into a chinese built plane! But there again, if you stay with the american companies selling these planes, built to their specs, as in Wildhare, Areoworks and such you get a very good product
flatspinjim is offline Find More Posts by flatspinjim
Old 03-29-2009, 12:08 AM
Find More Posts by jdmilla
Lakeland, FL
Joined Mar 2009
234 Posts

It seems to me that half the discussions on this forum revolve around the guilty pleasure of buying products from China. We are the victims of our own capitalism. The US forced open the Japanese markets over a hundred years ago. Cheap crappy imports from Japan turned into high quality gold-standard products over the course of time. Capitalism will take care of itself. Nobody will buy inferior products. I personally think the Chinese economy will implode for a variety of reasons including unfair practices, complete disregard for safety, disregard for the environment and manipulation of the currency. 7000 miners died in China last year. 7000! They just fill in the hole and keep digging. Milk, glycerine, pet food, lead paint etc. Someday enough will be enough, but not yet. Once their population starts enjoying a higher standard of living, prices will rise, quality will go up and they will go to the next underdeveloped country to outsource.

The answer to me is to sell products into China. The company I work for sells food processing systems. We have installed over 25 tomato processing plants in China. We have built a manufacturing facility in Shanghai and we lease our equipment. We have the best technology and expertise and we work every day to stay ahead of the copycats. We are all bemoaning the decline of western civilization. Let's do something about it.

Off my soapbox. My first and last comment on the subject.
jdmilla is offline Find More Posts by jdmilla
Last edited by jdmilla; 03-29-2009 at 12:29 AM.

Quick Reply